A guy has resigned at our place after being caught red handed stealing birthday cards and the like. He was doing it while sorting, a nasty little crime that placed his mates under suspicion. He'll be going to jail, it'd been going on for months.
Do Royal Mail reclaim the part of the pension pot they have contributed ? I know it's an option open to employers but I don't know whether RM do this. Workmates say they will but I'm not certain either way.
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Thieving postman.
-
neilfair
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 42
- Joined: 07 Aug 2011, 11:18
- Gender: Male
Thieving postman.
Sorry, should have added, he's a 30 year man and was very well trusted. He started as a teen' and is now obviously a middle aged man. A truly stupid and sneaky crime.
Clearly the nature of the company has changed now shares have been sold. I'm sure there'll be differences between how a private and government owned company does things. Either way, the guy is screwed. No income from this Friday and not much point getting another job when a custodial sentence looms. No doubt there'll be more to the story than first appears. But no excuse for this sort of thing. I wonder in this day and age how many birthday cards you'd need to pilfer to make any sort of stash. The chances of getting away with any reasonable amount must be nil. Bank transfers, cheques, Pay Pal ....... does anyone still put cash in a card apart from the occasional 80 year old.
Clearly the nature of the company has changed now shares have been sold. I'm sure there'll be differences between how a private and government owned company does things. Either way, the guy is screwed. No income from this Friday and not much point getting another job when a custodial sentence looms. No doubt there'll be more to the story than first appears. But no excuse for this sort of thing. I wonder in this day and age how many birthday cards you'd need to pilfer to make any sort of stash. The chances of getting away with any reasonable amount must be nil. Bank transfers, cheques, Pay Pal ....... does anyone still put cash in a card apart from the occasional 80 year old.
-
bensonhedge
- Posts: 448
- Joined: 15 Mar 2010, 20:14
- Gender: Male
Thieving postman.
According to the papers Adam Johnson earns £11 a week cleaning so at least he'll have some income
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72727
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Thieving postman.
neilfair wrote:A guy has resigned at our place after being caught red handed stealing birthday cards and the like. He was doing it while sorting, a nasty little crime that placed his mates under suspicion. He'll be going to jail, it'd been going on for months.
Do Royal Mail reclaim the part of the pension pot they have contributed ? I know it's an option open to employers but I don't know whether RM do this. Workmates say they will but I'm not certain either way.
Each case is different but yes they can raid his pension pot if he is found guilty.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
RobertT
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 6694
- Joined: 09 Sep 2007, 14:26
- Gender: Male
Thieving postman.
As a general rule posties won’t lose your pension if they’re sacked, it will be deferred as normal. But if your ‘colleague’ needs to repay money that he’s stolen and he can’t afford to do so, then RM can raid his pension scheme for it.
Links to all RM pension related websites are here
-
neilfair
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 42
- Joined: 07 Aug 2011, 11:18
- Gender: Male
Thieving postman.
Thank you both. I wouldn't imagine Royal Mail could prove a loss of anything substantial. As I say, I doubt anyone gets rich stealing from birthday cards.
-
Chewster
- Posts: 527
- Joined: 15 Jan 2016, 12:34
- Gender: Male
Thieving postman.
I don't know about birthday cards, but I have on many occasions had letters stuffed with what were clearly bank notes. I personally sent £200 in cash once too, in a normal first class letter. It got where it needed to go no problems.
I had a very old school bookies shop on a duty I did previously, he was getting letters and flats and brown paper packages filled with cash very regularly (no doubt the older gen paying off debts or placing bets from home or something), a more dishonest man than I could have made a fortune.
I had a very old school bookies shop on a duty I did previously, he was getting letters and flats and brown paper packages filled with cash very regularly (no doubt the older gen paying off debts or placing bets from home or something), a more dishonest man than I could have made a fortune.
-
k979aaa
- Posts: 12578
- Joined: 03 Sep 2007, 19:14
- Gender: Male
- Location: THE NORTH
Thieving postman.
POCA law this is the answer to your question http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2002/29/section/6" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
-
daveyeff
- Posts: 4699
- Joined: 12 Mar 2010, 19:38
- Gender: Male
Thieving postman.
I'm not sure, I think he will get the money he's paid in cos its his money, but I don't think he'll get the money royal mail pay in for him. not if he's sacked for theft anyway.RobertT wrote:As a general rule posties won’t lose your pension if they’re sacked, it will be deferred as normal. But if your ‘colleague’ needs to repay money that he’s stolen and he can’t afford to do so, then RM can raid his pension scheme for it.
-
simply_the_best
- Posts: 594
- Joined: 24 Sep 2007, 10:29
Thieving postman.
Sadly Iv'e seen a few done for dishonesty from my DO and neighbouring one's, all up in court and not one jailed for it.
Should be a mandatory Jail sentence for Posties IMO.
Should be a mandatory Jail sentence for Posties IMO.
-
DB1100
- Posts: 1976
- Joined: 10 Sep 2007, 14:30
Thieving postman.
Have you read about the lad from Cupar?simply_the_best wrote:Sadly Iv'e seen a few done for dishonesty from my DO and neighbouring one's, all up in court and not one jailed for it.
Should be a mandatory Jail sentence for Posties IMO.
For we were soldiers once,and young
-
simply_the_best
- Posts: 594
- Joined: 24 Sep 2007, 10:29
Thieving postman.
DB1100 wrote:Have you read about the lad from Cupar?simply_the_best wrote:Sadly Iv'e seen a few done for dishonesty from my DO and neighbouring one's, all up in court and not one jailed for it.
Should be a mandatory Jail sentence for Posties IMO.
Yes, a despicable case, the guys I know of were caught red handed and pled guilty in court.