ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Six month contract : job security?

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
smith007
Posts: 12
Joined: 02 Nov 2011, 21:34
Gender: Female

Six month contract : job security?

Post by smith007 »

I started work in January in a DO as a postie with driving on a 6-month x 20 hours per week contract. Clause 2 of the contract says:
“The reason for your contract being for a fixed term is that it is anticipated that the requirement for your employment is likely to cease on or about the expiry date because of business re-organisation”.

Does anyone know anything about what will happen at the end of the 6 months? I have been told that it “could” lead to a permanent job; I've been told that my employment will continue if the DO has an operational need for my job, and I've also been told that there is no reason for the DO not to continue to employ me assuming I pass the probationary period etc. I'd like to be made permanent but can't work full-time. I see that Royal Mail has recently employed a lot of staff on 6 month x 20 hours approx contracts all over the country. I've also heard that there have been staff on 6 month x 20 hours contracts going back at least 2 years. Can anyone who knows about RM's long-term plans for re-organisation please advise me what to expect, and whether to keep looking for a permanent job? Many thanks.
Trolleyed
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 56
Joined: 16 Dec 2014, 18:06
Gender: Male

Six month contract : job security?

Post by Trolleyed »

Couldn't say about long term plans of RM, but I think most contracts now say something like yours. Mine was exactly the same apart from it being 25 hours. After the 6 months I was given a permanent part time contract ( I'm also unable to work full time) and have been n the job for 15 months now. I was lucky enough to get my own walk. It covers a new development which is still being built and growing all the time so I'm now on 27 hpw. Hopefully I'll get more hours as it gets bigger but then I'll lose it when it's big enough to be a full time duty I expect.
salomon2
Posts: 103
Joined: 07 Jan 2016, 10:27
Gender: Female

Six month contract : job security?

Post by salomon2 »

Mine said the same, after 6 months it was extended by 3, then 3 again, then made permanent, I'm on a 25 hr contract. I wouldn't worry I've not seen anyone not get an extension. I also couldn't get a straight answer when I asked but was told you've got to do something really bad not to get kept on.
smith007
Posts: 12
Joined: 02 Nov 2011, 21:34
Gender: Female

Six month contract : job security?

Post by smith007 »

Thank you Trolleyed and salomon2, that sets my mind a bit more at rest that I won't have to be down at the jobcentre in 3-4 months time. If anyone else has any more information it will be gratefully received.
burtons
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 67
Joined: 13 Jan 2012, 21:32
Gender: Male

Six month contract : job security?

Post by burtons »

hi my contract also said something similair.6 years later im still here
Postie45
Posts: 2160
Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 23:05
Gender: Male

Six month contract : job security?

Post by Postie45 »

this is the type of contract RM are eager to give out these days, makes you very expendable unfortunately.
Not that im saying its likely that your contract will end at the end of the 6 months, its just if and when the DOM in your office does need to make staff savings you will be one of the first to go.
Justanotherstar
Posts: 351
Joined: 28 Dec 2012, 10:43
Gender: Male

Six month contract : job security?

Post by Justanotherstar »

I had a 3 month contract that expired, I was still working a year later until they changed the pension thing then they had to renew it and gave me a permanent contract (still got a s**t contract though...won't give me any more than 1 day despite having me in almost every day :roll: )
danieljp
Posts: 20
Joined: 09 Mar 2011, 14:54
Gender: Male
Location: South

Six month contract : job security?

Post by danieljp »

I started out on a fixed 3 month, 30 hour contract. I had it extended by a further 3 months, then at the end of that they wanted to drop me to a 20 hour contract working 4-8pm... Those hours and times were of no use to me, so I said no, and managed to get myself another 30 hour contract, but this time permanent, in the office in the next town to me, purely for the security. Now I'm full time in that office and have been in the job for 6 years. So I'd say as long as you're half decent at your job, and are flexible, you'll be fine.
UnhappyGremlin
Posts: 2685
Joined: 18 May 2012, 20:49
Gender: Male
Location: Hiding

Six month contract : job security?

Post by UnhappyGremlin »

The business now only ever gives out Temporary contracts, as it is expected to be in a constant state of change for the foreseeable future.
And probably beyond that.

It allows RM to have an easy way to cut staff at the cheapest possible cost.

Plus, as I believe the long term goal of the company is PT staff only, this is the first step in that process.
Sometimes, I wish I wasn't a Rep.
arty_morty
Posts: 282
Joined: 24 Jun 2010, 13:07
Gender: Male
Location: London

Six month contract : job security?

Post by arty_morty »

smith007 wrote:Thank you Trolleyed and salomon2, that sets my mind a bit more at rest that I won't have to be down at the jobcentre in 3-4 months time. If anyone else has any more information it will be gratefully received.
I was taken on in 2010 on a 3 month contract. I was just as worried as you but the contract kept getting extended. After 18 months I got a full-time permanent contract. I'd still be there now if it wasn't for us emigrating to the US, where I have incidentally just passed the USPS eaxm!

Good luck.
I staged a Roger Moore impersonator festival in my local village. There were a lot of eyebrows raised, I can tell you.
peshwaarinaan
Posts: 381
Joined: 29 May 2015, 11:35
Gender: Female

Six month contract : job security?

Post by peshwaarinaan »

I started in July on a three month contract and was given a long-term contract in October.

They are advertising for Posties at my DO and the posts are permanent.

I was told by someone that they are doing away with temp contracts.
smith007
Posts: 12
Joined: 02 Nov 2011, 21:34
Gender: Female

Six month contract : job security?

Post by smith007 »

Thank you for all your replies, the information is very useful.
Darren Bent
Posts: 2150
Joined: 05 Oct 2007, 15:38
Gender: Male
Location: Pride Park, Derby, DE24 8XL

Six month contract : job security?

Post by Darren Bent »

arty_morty wrote:
smith007 wrote:Thank you Trolleyed and salomon2, that sets my mind a bit more at rest that I won't have to be down at the jobcentre in 3-4 months time. If anyone else has any more information it will be gratefully received.
I was taken on in 2010 on a 3 month contract. I was just as worried as you but the contract kept getting extended. After 18 months I got a full-time permanent contract. I'd still be there now if it wasn't for us emigrating to the US, where I have incidentally just passed the USPS eaxm!

Good luck.

Have you emigrate to USA or work for USPS ?
JeremyFisher
Posts: 16
Joined: 07 Mar 2016, 14:10
Gender: Male

Six month contract : job security?

Post by JeremyFisher »

That's basically there to cover their ass if you turn out to be poor or a problem for them, makes it's easier to get rid off you, chances are with the turnover you'll be fine, the only risk if they're looking at cutting hours.