ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

dog bite

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
ej88
Posts: 25
Joined: 22 Nov 2015, 00:20
Gender: Female

dog bite

Post by ej88 »

I was biten on the leg by a dog today, advised to go to hospital by NHS 24. Been given antibiotics and told to keep my leg up and ice on it every 3 hours for 48 hours.. text one of the dm's telling him doing a duty is a no go tomorrow - no reply.
Should I phone in tomorrow if I don't hear anything?
aiden01
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 7001
Joined: 27 Feb 2013, 21:43
Gender: Male

dog bite

Post by aiden01 »

ej88 wrote:I was biten on the leg by a dog today, advised to go to hospital by NHS 24. Been given antibiotics and told to keep my leg up and ice on it every 3 hours for 48 hours.. text one of the dm's telling him doing a duty is a no go tomorrow - no reply.
Should I phone in tomorrow if I don't hear anything?
If your going to be off then definitely yes as they may stop your pay for not having made contact with office. Dim will probably deny receiving text.
ej88
Posts: 25
Joined: 22 Nov 2015, 00:20
Gender: Female

dog bite

Post by ej88 »

I actually offered to still go into the office but just said I don't think I could manage a duty as my leg is swollen. I only have this 1 dm's number so I suppose I'll just phone him tomorrow! Cheers!
aiden01
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 7001
Joined: 27 Feb 2013, 21:43
Gender: Male

dog bite

Post by aiden01 »

ej88 wrote:I actually offered to still go into the office but just said I don't think I could manage a duty as my leg is swollen. I only have this 1 dm's number so I suppose I'll just phone him tomorrow! Cheers!
Best to take advice you were given and rest for 48hrs you get no thanks in this job.
ej88
Posts: 25
Joined: 22 Nov 2015, 00:20
Gender: Female

dog bite

Post by ej88 »

I just hate letting people down but your right I won't get any thanks for working with a swollen leg!
BeamishStout
Posts: 387
Joined: 19 Sep 2012, 14:42
Gender: Male

dog bite

Post by BeamishStout »

Do they have an ice making machine at work? If not then don't go in.
loverman shabba
Posts: 238
Joined: 11 Jul 2013, 15:15
Gender: Male

dog bite

Post by loverman shabba »

first question they will ask...did you have your post it peg? :crazy: :crazy:
malcolm3011
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 303
Joined: 05 Aug 2010, 18:42
Gender: Male

dog bite

Post by malcolm3011 »

loverman shabba wrote:first question they will ask...did you have your post it peg? :crazy: :crazy:
Not much help if you are bitten on the leg :crazy:
ScousePostie
Posts: 273
Joined: 29 Jan 2015, 12:26
Gender: Male

dog bite

Post by ScousePostie »

I got a dog bite last summer. I had been sent to another office on this particular day.

It was unfortunate. I opened gate, half way down path, front door opens, small dog goes wild and runs at me. I backed up to a point when the dog bit my leg. It felt like all its teeth had gone into my leg when it happened, but once the dog was under control and I took a look there was only one puncture hole and a little bit of blood. I put a plaster on it when I got back to the van and completed duty. Got back to office, attempted to report it but there was no management on returning. Another postie told me to write down where, when and what happened.

I went to walk in centre afterwards and they told me to keep an eye for certain things such as strange colouring along my legs which apparently indicates an infection in the veins. Nothing ever came of the bite. I treated the small wound with cream and plasters for about a week. I still have a small scar now. I've never heard anything about the incident since.
ej88
Posts: 25
Joined: 22 Nov 2015, 00:20
Gender: Female

dog bite

Post by ej88 »

Told me to take the day off and they would put it down as a 'near miss'. Saving themselves paperwork no doubt
eastie
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 2234
Joined: 16 Jun 2011, 15:32
Gender: Male

dog bite

Post by eastie »

ej88 wrote:Told me to take the day off and they would put it down as a 'near miss'. Saving themselves paperwork no doubt
How can a bite be "A near miss" :arrrghhh
Should have taken the day off to have a Tetnus jab
ej88
Posts: 25
Joined: 22 Nov 2015, 00:20
Gender: Female

dog bite

Post by ej88 »

I went to the hospital the same day.. they said you don't get a tetnus jab now if you were born after 1961! Antibiotics and having ur leg elevated was the advice
ikybear
Posts: 43
Joined: 05 Nov 2015, 13:17
Gender: Male

dog bite

Post by ikybear »

I got a tetanus for my second bite a couple of years ago and I was born a good few years after '61!!
ej88
Posts: 25
Joined: 22 Nov 2015, 00:20
Gender: Female

dog bite

Post by ej88 »

Who knows then but the nurse looked p'd off at the mere suggestion of it!
PaulyQ
Posts: 20
Joined: 09 Jan 2012, 15:42
Gender: Male

dog bite

Post by PaulyQ »

Questions you'll get asked:-

Post it peg?

Any signs of dog in property (i.e. signs) > Gate rattled?

Did you use your bag as protection (not if your using a golf trolley :Applause ) <=== trick question

DID YOU READ THE WALK LOG!!! Did you "d" any letters for ANY properties in the log, if not, WHY NOT!!

Please don't go down the route of the "near miss", it's a cop out from your lino, if your leg goes septic or you need to take any time off for whatever reason relating to this you haven't ('scuse the pun) - got a leg to stand on.