My contract will soon end yet my holiday allocation etc has still been processed. Do I turn up for work after my end date even if I have not received a new contract by that time? Or am I effectively unemployed? What has been the experience of you fellow part timers on fixed term contracts when your contract has ended?
Thanks in advance.
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Contract Renewal
-
fb1969
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1693
- Joined: 29 Aug 2012, 08:38
- Gender: Male
- Location: hiding on the backstreets
Contract Renewal
From my experience, just keep going back in. I was on 3-month contracts for 2 years, sometimes the new one came before the expiry date and sometimes after - I was never told I was getting a new one they just appeared, including the permanent one. Just one of the many wonderful ways that RM treats its employees!
Royal Mail
failing the workforce, failing the public and deliberately failing mail on a daily basis for too many years.
failing the workforce, failing the public and deliberately failing mail on a daily basis for too many years.
-
crazyshrew
- Posts: 584
- Joined: 19 Jun 2011, 16:58
- Gender: Female
- Location: Coastal, South West
Contract Renewal
If your name is still on the rota keep turning up. RM are horrendously slow with their admin, it may well take 2 months and 28 days for the 3-month renewal contract to get to you.
If you're concerned, have a chat with your manager
If you're concerned, have a chat with your manager
-
Chewster
- Posts: 527
- Joined: 15 Jan 2016, 12:34
- Gender: Male
Contract Renewal
I worked about a month "without" a contract a while ago. I did ask the manager but I got the stock reply of "HR are just taking their time." It turned up out of the blue eventually, as did my permanent one which I did not foresee coming.
On the topic of HR, don't trust your managers when they refer you to HR. The one time I called HR (concerning a pay rise I hadn't received), the guy on the other end of the line told me that it was actually the DOM's responsibility to sort it out. The HR guy was nice enough to sort it out for me himself though. I imagine they get a lot of people asking them to do DOM's admin duties!
On the topic of HR, don't trust your managers when they refer you to HR. The one time I called HR (concerning a pay rise I hadn't received), the guy on the other end of the line told me that it was actually the DOM's responsibility to sort it out. The HR guy was nice enough to sort it out for me himself though. I imagine they get a lot of people asking them to do DOM's admin duties!
-
Aus10
- Posts: 15
- Joined: 10 Jul 2015, 00:38
- Gender: Female
Contract Renewal
Chewster wrote:I worked about a month "without" a contract a while ago. I did ask the manager but I got the stock reply of "HR are just taking their time." It turned up out of the blue eventually, as did my permanent one which I did not foresee coming.
On the topic of HR, don't trust your managers when they refer you to HR. The one time I called HR (concerning a pay rise I hadn't received), the guy on the other end of the line told me that it was actually the DOM's responsibility to sort it out. The HR guy was nice enough to sort it out for me himself though. I imagine they get a lot of people asking them to do DOM's admin duties!
crazyshrew wrote:If your name is still on the rota keep turning up. RM are horrendously slow with their admin, it may well take 2 months and 28 days for the 3-month renewal contract to get to you.
If you're concerned, have a chat with your manager
Thank you all for your replies.fb1969 wrote:From my experience, just keep going back in. I was on 3-month contracts for 2 years, sometimes the new one came before the expiry date and sometimes after - I was never told I was getting a new one they just appeared, including the permanent one. Just one of the many wonderful ways that RM treats its employees!
This forum has been an invaluable source of information, comfort and encouragement and that's because of you folks who kindly take the time to post replies/comments to the different topics posted
I guess I'll just keep reporting for work and hope that my next contract comes in sooner rather than later. For all the negatives associated with this job, fact is I really enjoy the work, my interactions with the public has so far been mostly positive and pleasant and my colleagues are pretty cool too.
-
crazyshrew
- Posts: 584
- Joined: 19 Jun 2011, 16:58
- Gender: Female
- Location: Coastal, South West
Contract Renewal
Keep coming back, you'll get more and better quality training here than you do in your office - I know I have!Aus10 wrote: Thank you all for your replies.
This forum has been an invaluable source of information, comfort and encouragement and that's because of you folks who kindly take the time to post replies/comments to the different topics posted![]()
I guess I'll just keep reporting for work and hope that my next contract comes in sooner rather than later. For all the negatives associated with this job, fact is I really enjoy the work, my interactions with the public has so far been mostly positive and pleasant and my colleagues are pretty cool too.
-
Aus10
- Posts: 15
- Joined: 10 Jul 2015, 00:38
- Gender: Female
Contract Renewal
Keep coming back, you'll get more and better quality training here than you do in your office - I know I have!
That's SO true!!!