ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Feel the love fellow posties

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72727
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Feel the love fellow posties

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

http://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/_chat/25972 ... ter-box-up" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It doesn't start well, but a lot are on our side.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Aus10
Posts: 15
Joined: 10 Jul 2015, 00:38
Gender: Female

Feel the love fellow posties

Post by Aus10 »

Enjoyed reading this. Thanks for posting.
postslippete
Posts: 4194
Joined: 14 Jul 2014, 16:27
Gender: Male

Feel the love fellow posties

Post by postslippete »

One or two customers on my round have officially opted out of unaddressed D2Ds. But then the relief postie forgets and goes and puts one through!! Doh!!

But the best response I got was from someone who used a business reply letter inside a junk letter. He attached that letter to a box full of bricks and left it at the local depot, which means the junk mail company has to pay for it. Genius!!
On the face of it, shareholder value is the dumbest idea in the world.
NewPostieUK
Posts: 2104
Joined: 06 Jan 2008, 21:38
Gender: Male
Location: SickAsAChipLand

Feel the love fellow posties

Post by NewPostieUK »

postslippete wrote:One or two customers on my round have officially opted out of unaddressed D2Ds. But then the relief postie forgets and goes and puts one through!! Doh!!

But the best response I got was from someone who used a business reply letter inside a junk letter. He attached that letter to a box full of bricks and left it at the local depot, which means the junk mail company has to pay for it. Genius!!
Surely it shouldn't have been accepted without the correct postage? The 'postage' on the reply envelope would (presumably) cover just that - the envelope.

If I stuck a second class stamp onto a postcard, then attached that to a bin and took it round to the Post Office, I doubt they'd take it.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72727
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Feel the love fellow posties

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

NewPostieUK wrote:
postslippete wrote:One or two customers on my round have officially opted out of unaddressed D2Ds. But then the relief postie forgets and goes and puts one through!! Doh!!

But the best response I got was from someone who used a business reply letter inside a junk letter. He attached that letter to a box full of bricks and left it at the local depot, which means the junk mail company has to pay for it. Genius!!
Surely it shouldn't have been accepted without the correct postage? The 'postage' on the reply envelope would (presumably) cover just that - the envelope.

If I stuck a second class stamp onto a postcard, then attached that to a bin and took it round to the Post Office, I doubt they'd take it.

The licence reply ones don't have a set price unless specified in their contract (rare) so they will be charged the specific rate for size and weight as agreed in their Business Account with RM.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Chewster
Posts: 527
Joined: 15 Jan 2016, 12:34
Gender: Male

Feel the love fellow posties

Post by Chewster »

Nice to see that posties are appreciated. You do get the odd person like the person who created that other post, but they're generally few and far between I find. I know there are some posties who are a bit feckless and wouldn't piss on you if you were on fire, but I think it's fair to say that most of us are a decent caring bunch who will go the extra mile for our customers. There's an old guy on my main duty who is in a wheelchair, whenever I have a packet for him I take it into his living room for him and have a wee chat. On another duty in the office, the postie came back to a house after work and did an old lady's garden for her for nothing more than a cup of tea.

And it's not just doing things like that that's important, for some of these old folk (of which I have a lot of on my main duty), the postie is perhaps the only person they get to speak to all day! I think it's really important for us to be there for people like that, and it's great to see that other people realise and appreciate that. The binmen (and in days gone by, milkmen) are important for exactly the same reason, and I hope they're appreciated just as much.
Pathfinder
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 208
Joined: 17 Aug 2015, 13:50
Gender: Male

Feel the love fellow posties

Post by Pathfinder »

Chewster wrote:Nice to see that posties are appreciated. You do get the odd person like the person who created that other post, but they're generally few and far between I find. I know there are some posties who are a bit feckless and wouldn't piss on you if you were on fire, but I think it's fair to say that most of us are a decent caring bunch who will go the extra mile for our customers. There's an old guy on my main duty who is in a wheelchair, whenever I have a packet for him I take it into his living room for him and have a wee chat. On another duty in the office, the postie came back to a house after work and did an old lady's garden for her for nothing more than a cup of tea.

And it's not just doing things like that that's important, for some of these old folk (of which I have a lot of on my main duty), the postie is perhaps the only person they get to speak to all day! I think it's really important for us to be there for people like that, and it's great to see that other people realise and appreciate that. The binmen (and in days gone by, milkmen) are important for exactly the same reason, and I hope they're appreciated just as much.
Exactly this.
postslippete
Posts: 4194
Joined: 14 Jul 2014, 16:27
Gender: Male

Feel the love fellow posties

Post by postslippete »

In the days when we provided a public service there was always time to go the extra mile for customers, but now I find we end up going the extra mile for Royal Mail instead. And its primarily because Royal Mail's customers are not Joe Public but companies like British Gas, NPower and Matalan.
On the face of it, shareholder value is the dumbest idea in the world.
NWpostie
Posts: 3620
Joined: 04 Aug 2007, 17:32
Gender: Male
Location: Sector 001 Borg Collective, 6 o f 9

Feel the love fellow posties

Post by NWpostie »

I usually have no problems helping out the less fortunate i.e. the elderly, disabled and unfortunate, depending on their personality as there are good and bad regardless of their condition and my fellow Postie mates which is usually reciprocated.
Six of Nine loves Seven of Nine, together in Electric Dreams.
tonytucker
Posts: 190
Joined: 06 Aug 2009, 18:20
Gender: Male
Location: Essex now

Feel the love fellow posties

Post by tonytucker »

NewPostieUK wrote:
postslippete wrote:One or two customers on my round have officially opted out of unaddressed D2Ds. But then the relief postie forgets and goes and puts one through!! Doh!!

But the best response I got was from someone who used a business reply letter inside a junk letter. He attached that letter to a box full of bricks and left it at the local depot, which means the junk mail company has to pay for it. Genius!!
Surely it shouldn't have been accepted without the correct postage? The 'postage' on the reply envelope would (presumably) cover just that - the envelope.

If I stuck a second class stamp onto a postcard, then attached that to a bin and took it round to the Post Office, I doubt they'd take it.
No your lying mate plenty of storytellers in our do as well
BRING IT BACK BRING IT BACK
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72727
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Feel the love fellow posties

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

tonytucker wrote:
NewPostieUK wrote:
postslippete wrote:One or two customers on my round have officially opted out of unaddressed D2Ds. But then the relief postie forgets and goes and puts one through!! Doh!!

But the best response I got was from someone who used a business reply letter inside a junk letter. He attached that letter to a box full of bricks and left it at the local depot, which means the junk mail company has to pay for it. Genius!!
Surely it shouldn't have been accepted without the correct postage? The 'postage' on the reply envelope would (presumably) cover just that - the envelope.

If I stuck a second class stamp onto a postcard, then attached that to a bin and took it round to the Post Office, I doubt they'd take it.
No your lying mate plenty of storytellers in our do as well
:crazy: :crazy:

Comprehension :crazy: . He has not asserted anything as fact, therefore, he can't be lying. He also asked a question, not sure how you can lie when asking a question.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Chewster
Posts: 527
Joined: 15 Jan 2016, 12:34
Gender: Male

Feel the love fellow posties

Post by Chewster »

To add on to what I was saying about us looking out for customers, here's something about customers looking out for us! Today was pretty awful, none of my walk was prepped when it should have been, only got the call 20 minutes before my start time to let me know, and I also had to go out on a packet duty after doing my walk. So I was rushing around a bit. Ended up misdelivering a letter. The occupant came out with the letter and said "it's not like you to do that, are you feeling alright??"
I just thought that was really lovely of the gentleman, it really did make my day.