Hello everyone! Just a quick one. At what point does being told you are young so there is no excuse not to be able to complete your duty and lapse become an age discrimination issue?
"You are younger than most in here, there shouldn't be any duty or lapsing problems for you!"
I thought we all had to work to a set standard whatever our age? I feel like they expect more out of me because of being younger? Also it's rather insulting to the older person I think? Advice?
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Age Discrimination?
-
BingBong
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 755
- Joined: 12 May 2011, 12:36
- Gender: Female
- Location: the north
Age Discrimination?
Toon Army!
-
deltaforce
- Posts: 778
- Joined: 01 Jan 2009, 15:29
- Gender: Male
Age Discrimination?
Unless you are disabled you should be measured against the agreed standards. As they nearly always refuse to come out with you to gauge your work rate,but rather compare you with aflawed computer programme, it's all a bit futile.
-
bustedflush
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1493
- Joined: 16 Feb 2013, 11:19
- Gender: Male
Age Discrimination?
That is an excellent point.deltaforce wrote:Unless you are disabled you should be measured against the agreed standards. As they nearly always refuse to come out with you to gauge your work rate,but rather compare you with aflawed computer programme, it's all a bit futile.
The DIM is probably measuring the performance against the young 'runners'....
-
BingBong
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 755
- Joined: 12 May 2011, 12:36
- Gender: Female
- Location: the north
Age Discrimination?
I cut off today. Manager wanted to know why. Told them the walk is too long. Even on so called light days! I then said I'm happy to be walk tested anytime on anyday. They ignored me.deltaforce wrote:Unless you are disabled you should be measured against the agreed standards. As they nearly always refuse to come out with you to gauge your work rate,but rather compare you with aflawed computer programme, it's all a bit futile.
Toon Army!
-
Postie45
- Posts: 2160
- Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 23:05
- Gender: Male
Age Discrimination?
do you have a decent union rep ? probably time to make he/she aware of this.
-
Nondescript
- Posts: 232
- Joined: 29 Nov 2013, 16:25
- Gender: Male
Age Discrimination?
Typical scumbag RM line manager ploy, that is divide and conquer. Trying to set you apart from your colleagues, so that you feel inadequate/angry/stressed/cowed or a mixture of any of those. One day those desk-bound, work-shy coffee receptacles will get their comeuppance.BingBong wrote:Hello everyone! Just a quick one. At what point does being told you are young so there is no excuse not to be able to complete your duty and lapse become an age discrimination issue?
"You are younger than most in here, there shouldn't be any duty or lapsing problems for you!"
I thought we all had to work to a set standard whatever our age? I feel like they expect more out of me because of being younger? Also it's rather insulting to the older person I think? Advice?
-
BingBong
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 755
- Joined: 12 May 2011, 12:36
- Gender: Female
- Location: the north
Age Discrimination?
Yes. Our rep is very good but they've been on holiday as has the sub rep. I have made them aware though via phone call.Postie45 wrote:do you have a decent union rep ? probably time to make he/she aware of this.
Toon Army!
-
fishtank
- Posts: 19732
- Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
- Gender: Male
Age Discrimination?
As always when scumbag managers make stupid comments, ask for it in writing or even ask him to repeat it in front of your rep, usually puts an end to the shite. Cowards the lot of them.
good times, bad times you know I've had my share