ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Scanning every parcel

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Jpro747
Posts: 1342
Joined: 23 Dec 2012, 10:22
Gender: Male

Scanning every parcel

Post by Jpro747 »

Heard a rumour that we will be reqired to scan every parcel in two weeks time, anyone else heard about this?
deltaforce
Posts: 778
Joined: 01 Jan 2009, 15:29
Gender: Male

Scanning every parcel

Post by deltaforce »

Scanning every parcel is on the agenda. When? I'm not sure. My guess is when the new Pda has been rolled out fully.
UnhappyGremlin
Posts: 2685
Joined: 18 May 2012, 20:49
Gender: Male
Location: Hiding

Scanning every parcel

Post by UnhappyGremlin »

It is the long term aim of the company, to offer this as a service.

It is to keep up with our competitors, most of which already offer this service.
(Albeit, with the shitter other side of delivery, i.e. doorstepping, or as I see it, abandoning parcels in the locale of somebody's house. Which I hope RM never adopt).

As per usual, RM are very late to the party.
Though I expect we posties, and/or CWU, will be blamed.
Sometimes, I wish I wasn't a Rep.
Pathfinder
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 208
Joined: 17 Aug 2015, 13:50
Gender: Male

Scanning every parcel

Post by Pathfinder »

Also heard this today!
worktotime
Posts: 2866
Joined: 14 May 2010, 20:47
Gender: Male

Scanning every parcel

Post by worktotime »

great more stuff to take back then , :dance , even less chance to finish on time. well done to the cwu to agree to this. :wave
Chewster
Posts: 527
Joined: 15 Jan 2016, 12:34
Gender: Male

Scanning every parcel

Post by Chewster »

Well we've already got the Amazon delivery scanned (not tracked) which is a fair chunk of the packets, this is only the next logical step. I remember seeing it ages ago on work time learning, there's supposed to be some sort of finger scanning thing coming out? I'm afraid most of us were too busy asking the dom if he was gonna give us the finger and giggling like school girls to pay attention to the video
spen
Posts: 531
Joined: 18 Jan 2011, 19:53
Gender: Male

Scanning every parcel

Post by spen »

It was meant to start a couple of months ago but got cancelled,,, its now due to start some point in april
nickinoneck
Posts: 110
Joined: 20 Aug 2010, 15:37
Gender: Male

Scanning every parcel

Post by nickinoneck »

We were told it's going live the middle of April and to get into the habit of scanning everything now!
wannabeek
Posts: 996
Joined: 27 Apr 2011, 00:49
Gender: Male

Scanning every parcel

Post by wannabeek »

I've been scanning every packet since the tech went live in December. Those weird square ones are in fact usually easier to zap than the usual straight line barcode and the same digits pop up on the gun when you do zap it.

Apparently different delivery info pops up when you zap those square barcodes with the office gun but I've not seen that.

Don't fancy writing out the code on an EPOD card tho for the 'square barcode only' ones when the print is blurred tho - some of them must be about 20 digits long, mostly all zeros and ones!
Last edited by wannabeek on 14 Mar 2016, 20:16, edited 2 times in total.
SpacePhoenix
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 12189
Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
Gender: Male

Scanning every parcel

Post by SpacePhoenix »

No chance in MCs, loads of parcels don't have any barcodes. Locally we've lost Amazon, as it's only a trickle of Amazon that we get through now
Surreypostie
Posts: 999
Joined: 04 Aug 2013, 21:05
Gender: Male

Scanning every parcel

Post by Surreypostie »

worktotime wrote:great more stuff to take back then , :dance , even less chance to finish on time. well done to the cwu to agree to this. :wave
Why will you take more back? If it goes through the door you scan and deliver as you do now, won't be required to sign for it.
wannabeek
Posts: 996
Joined: 27 Apr 2011, 00:49
Gender: Male

Scanning every parcel

Post by wannabeek »

I don't think it's anything to do with packets in the mail centres. I think it's a scan only at the doorstep.
SpacePhoenix
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 12189
Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
Gender: Male

Scanning every parcel

Post by SpacePhoenix »

wannabeek wrote:I don't think it's anything to do with packets in the mail centres. I think it's a scan only at the doorstep.
It's supposed to be at every office (no matter what type) that they pass through
PHARRY
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 327
Joined: 04 Nov 2013, 17:56
Gender: Male

Scanning every parcel

Post by PHARRY »

UnhappyGremlin wrote:It is the long term aim of the company, to offer this as a service.

It is to keep up with our competitors, most of which already offer this service.
(Albeit, with the shitter other side of delivery, i.e. doorstepping, or as I see it, abandoning parcels in the locale of somebody's house. Which I hope RM never adopt).

As per usual, RM are very late to the party.
Though I expect we posties, and/or CWU, will be blamed.
I wish Royalmail allowed doorstepping
Dorset Plodder
Posts: 4351
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
Gender: Male

Scanning every parcel

Post by Dorset Plodder »

PHARRY wrote:
I wish Royalmail allowed doorstepping
We have Pharry.... It's called "Leaving it in a SAFE PLACE..... It's just not literally on the Doorstep! :whistle
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)