ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Rubbish hours

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Chewster
Posts: 527
Joined: 15 Jan 2016, 12:34
Gender: Male

Rubbish hours

Post by Chewster »

The duty I'm on (not signed onto though) has been changed from a full time to a part time duty (27.5 hours to be exact). So now all indoor work is done for me, and I just come in, pack up and go. I can't pretend that I don't appreciate having less work to do, but I really want as many hours as possible (houses are expensive apparently) and the DOMs know that. I have asked to be moved onto a full time duty, but it seems it'll have to wait till new staff come in, which I'd guess won't be till April. My contract is only 20 hours so I guess they aren't obligated to give me anything over that if they don't want to. I'm also the only part timer who know this duty. Do I have any sort of way to get what I want here or will I just have to make do with what I can get for now?
motherhubbard
Posts: 1001
Joined: 08 Feb 2010, 17:13
Gender: Female
Location: in the cupboard

Rubbish hours

Post by motherhubbard »

by Chewster » Today, 16:42
As for taking shortcuts, go for it,


On the one hand you brag about cutting the job up, and on the other you complain about your rubbish hours?
Really?
Never let the hand you hold, hold you down.
GT85
Posts: 365
Joined: 26 Nov 2013, 20:02
Gender: Male
Location: ASDO

Rubbish hours

Post by GT85 »

My contract is only 20 hours so I guess they aren't obligated to give me anything over that if they don't want to
And this is the time of year that Doms are desperately trying to save money to meet their bonus targets. Normally the first thing they will do is cut o/t by having part timers come in at their correct start times.
We're all here because we're not all there
IcanthelpthewayIam
Posts: 4067
Joined: 26 May 2009, 13:37
Gender: Male

Rubbish hours

Post by IcanthelpthewayIam »

Is there any vacant full time positions at your do?
aiden01
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 7001
Joined: 27 Feb 2013, 21:43
Gender: Male

Rubbish hours

Post by aiden01 »

come on chewster in one post your contract is 24 hours and in another post its 20 hours :hmmmm
Chewster
Posts: 527
Joined: 15 Jan 2016, 12:34
Gender: Male

Rubbish hours

Post by Chewster »

motherhubbard, I really wouldn't say I was "bragging" about anything, and I've just pointed out on that thread that even with all the "shortcuts," I was taking the time I was expected to take. I don't do anything that I've not been advised to do by other posties, and even the doms have quietly acknowledged that it can be useful to leave parcels behind, a stand in dom from another office even telling us it's alright to leave SPECIALS if "we don't get caught" !!

zx135, there are, but there's a fairly long queue of people due to get one before me. We've got people who have been on part time contracts (but doing full time work) for years so I'm far down the priority list to receive one.

aiden01, sorry, just noticed that mistake as well. It's actually a 20 hour contract, definitely not 24!!

Thought that might be the case GT85
Postie45
Posts: 2160
Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 23:05
Gender: Male

Rubbish hours

Post by Postie45 »

Chewster wrote: a stand in dom from another office even telling us it's alright to leave SPECIALS if "we don't get caught" !!
in the same way its alright to rob a bank.....
Chewster
Posts: 527
Joined: 15 Jan 2016, 12:34
Gender: Male

Rubbish hours

Post by Chewster »

Postie45 wrote:
Chewster wrote: a stand in dom from another office even telling us it's alright to leave SPECIALS if "we don't get caught" !!
in the same way its alright to rob a bank.....
Perhaps not quite the same league lol...Not that I leave specials, even for the customers who I leave other stuff for. And also interesting to note that particular manager hasn't been back in a while hmmmmmm
aiden01
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 7001
Joined: 27 Feb 2013, 21:43
Gender: Male

Rubbish hours

Post by aiden01 »

Chewster wrote:
Postie45 wrote:
Chewster wrote: a stand in dom from another office even telling us it's alright to leave SPECIALS if "we don't get caught" !!
in the same way its alright to rob a bank.....
Perhaps not quite the same league lol...Not that I leave specials, even for the customers who I leave other stuff for. And also interesting to note that particular manager hasn't been back in a while hmmmmmm
I wonder why :Very Happy
IloveMYredTROLLEY!
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1923
Joined: 02 Apr 2010, 06:54
Gender: Male

Rubbish hours

Post by IloveMYredTROLLEY! »

motherhubbard wrote:by Chewster » Today, 16:42
As for taking shortcuts, go for it,


On the one hand you brag about cutting the job up, and on the other you complain about your rubbish hours?
Really?
As I wrote in a recent thread...
I find it ironic how the people who want and/or need overtime tend to often be the ones who cut the job up most. Follow rules, duty takes longer, extra pay from own duty if go past duty finish time.
:chuckle
weary_posty
Posts: 225
Joined: 01 Jul 2011, 15:08
Gender: Male

Rubbish hours

Post by weary_posty »

IloveMYredTROLLEY! wrote:
motherhubbard wrote:by Chewster » Today, 16:42
As for taking shortcuts, go for it,


On the one hand you brag about cutting the job up, and on the other you complain about your rubbish hours?
Really?
As I wrote in a recent thread...
I find it ironic how the people who want and/or need overtime tend to often be the ones who cut the job up most. Follow rules, duty takes longer, extra pay from own duty if go past duty finish time.
:chuckle
Precisely. A lot of PT are quick to moan at the FT employees, but this scenario happens a lot at my DO.
Decky Boy
Posts: 440
Joined: 22 May 2009, 10:00
Gender: Male

Rubbish hours

Post by Decky Boy »

Chewster wrote: Do I have any sort of way to get what I want here or will I just have to make do with what I can get for now?
A perennial problem my friend https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-_oApLKTqg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Chewster
Posts: 527
Joined: 15 Jan 2016, 12:34
Gender: Male

Rubbish hours

Post by Chewster »

weary_posty wrote:
IloveMYredTROLLEY! wrote:
motherhubbard wrote:by Chewster » Today, 16:42
As for taking shortcuts, go for it,


On the one hand you brag about cutting the job up, and on the other you complain about your rubbish hours?
Really?
As I wrote in a recent thread...
I find it ironic how the people who want and/or need overtime tend to often be the ones who cut the job up most. Follow rules, duty takes longer, extra pay from own duty if go past duty finish time.
:chuckle
Precisely. A lot of PT are quick to moan at the FT employees, but this scenario happens a lot at my DO.
We tend to cut the job up more so that we don't get moaned at for taking too long. Mind you, I find myself cutting it a lot less now that I've only got 27.5 ish hours...and find myself actually finishing within the time! Surprised me that did.

In our office us part timers tend to moan about the full timers because they're getting paid their full 7.48 whether they work that much or not. There's a few that only really end up doing 6-7 hours a day and still get paid their 7.48 for it. So in our office, it's most of the full timers that cut up more than the part timers! But I know that doesn't apply to all offices, I've heard from people in some other offices that full timers will be made to do more lapsing or to even do some cleaning if they finish before their time.
rambo1
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 3266
Joined: 12 Jun 2013, 20:00
Gender: Male

Rubbish hours

Post by rambo1 »

How on earth are full timers getting done an hr early? Your office needs sorting out. You obviously have too many staff, send some over our way to do all the cutt offs and lapsing would ya.
mancpat
Posts: 85
Joined: 09 Feb 2010, 12:36
Gender: Male

Rubbish hours

Post by mancpat »

rambo1 wrote:How on earth are full timers getting done an hr early? Your office needs sorting out. You obviously have too many staff, send some over our way to do all the cutt offs and lapsing would ya.
We have plenty of full time staff who finish an hour early and love that they get an hour of royal mail every day.

BUT they come on 30min early, don't take breaks and do lapsing every day (which has now increased because they have an hour on their shift)

Now go and do the maths and tell me who's having the real laugh there.