ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Paid leave to care for ill child
-
cavendish9027
- Posts: 24
- Joined: 18 Jun 2012, 18:30
- Gender: Male
Paid leave to care for ill child
My child has been ill since last Sat. My wife took mon, tue and wed off to care for him. It was my day off thur. He is still ill today (friday) so i took the day off to look after him. I have not had a single day off before for his care or any hospital appiontment or scans. My wife has missed maybe 10 days in 2 years so i thought it only fair i took a turn. The manager just called to inform me that i will not get paid. Is this correct?
-
fishtank
- Posts: 19732
- Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
- Gender: Male
Paid leave to care for ill child
Yes unfortunately.
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
-
POSTMAN
- SITE ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 32794
- Joined: 07 Aug 2006, 03:19
- Gender: Male
Paid leave to care for ill child
Other Time off : Management Support Booklet
http://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/communit ... 36&t=68435" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ROYAL MAIL EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE
http://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/royal-ma ... lance.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/communit ... 36&t=68435" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ROYAL MAIL EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE
http://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/royal-ma ... lance.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I Wrote-During Covid-Which is still relevant now
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
-
wannabeek
- Posts: 996
- Joined: 27 Apr 2011, 00:49
- Gender: Male
Paid leave to care for ill child
Yep it sucks but it's all down to the discretion of the manager. Anything short of immediate and urgent hospitalisation of a dependent is unlikely to be given paid time off, in my experience.
It's the same for my wife in a public sector job and probably most jobs I reckon. I've switched days off and she has too to accommodate sick kids. Sucks a lot but I think almost every employee of any company in the country is in a similar situation.
It's the same for my wife in a public sector job and probably most jobs I reckon. I've switched days off and she has too to accommodate sick kids. Sucks a lot but I think almost every employee of any company in the country is in a similar situation.
-
fishtank
- Posts: 19732
- Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
- Gender: Male
Paid leave to care for ill child
By asking for time off to care for a child you are invoking a statutory right. As such the business cannot reasonably refuse but it must be unpaid, what can happen (unofficially) in certain circumstances is that unused annual leave can be taken instead but time off for dependents is one if those situations where management actually don't have a great deal of discretion available.
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
-
motherhubbard
- Posts: 1001
- Joined: 08 Feb 2010, 17:13
- Gender: Female
- Location: in the cupboard
Paid leave to care for ill child
However if you just phone in sick, you would get paid.
All seems a bit silly really.
All seems a bit silly really.
Never let the hand you hold, hold you down.
-
Harv12
- Posts: 158
- Joined: 12 Nov 2013, 18:25
- Gender: Male
Paid leave to care for ill child
Happened to me 2 weeks ago, the wife couldn't take the day off as she works in a mental hospital, she'd organised a day trip which takes weeks of organising if she took the day off it would have been scrapped, so i asked the boss if i could stick a days leave in as iv 2 days left to take, he basically said no i had to take it unpaid.
1st time iv asked since our kid's been born, was propa pissed with him,
1st time iv asked since our kid's been born, was propa pissed with him,
-
aiden01
- MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
- Posts: 7001
- Joined: 27 Feb 2013, 21:43
- Gender: Male
Paid leave to care for ill child
And how often do you just phone in sick next thing RTUmotherhubbard wrote:However if you just phone in sick, you would get paid.
All seems a bit silly really.
-
peshwaarinaan
- Posts: 381
- Joined: 29 May 2015, 11:35
- Gender: Female
Paid leave to care for ill child
So they don't put it down as sick pay for you then?
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72727
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Paid leave to care for ill child
I don't think they are allowed to as sick leave and dependants leave are both covered by various statutes.peshwaarinaan wrote:So they don't put it down as sick pay for you then?
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
peshwaarinaan
- Posts: 381
- Joined: 29 May 2015, 11:35
- Gender: Female
Paid leave to care for ill child
Ok thank you TBT. The reason I'm asking is that my son is off school with a chest infection. I am due back in work on Wednesday but he might be off for the rest of the week.TrueBlueTerrier wrote:I don't think they are allowed to as sick leave and dependants leave are both covered by various statutes.peshwaarinaan wrote:So they don't put it down as sick pay for you then?