ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

IHR HELP

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
d.h.o.s.g.r.f
Posts: 27
Joined: 13 Aug 2009, 22:19
Gender: Male

IHR HELP

Post by d.h.o.s.g.r.f »

Hi recently had a meeting with new Dom due to recent revision, at this meeting I was told that I could'nt carry on with my current shift pattern over 4 days and will have to drop to 3 days still with same hours (20 hpw),
told him I can't come in for the time he wants me to due to childcare issues, he then tells me that this will cause problems and that there isnt anything else I can do for the hours I want to work,
now at this point I decided to tell him about my ongoing health problems which started last year, intermittent loss of blood from my rectum (for which I am still waiting for a hospital appointment for a colonoscopy) and the problem which is giving me the most grief namely pain in my joints, now this is not just normal pain as it can range from flu like aches in my joints to sharp pain and stiffness in my joints which makes it really hard when out on delivery,
when the Dom hears this you could see his eyes light up and he tells me (not that he wants to push me into anything) that I could finish on ill health retirement with a lump sum.
Now to tell you the truth at this moment in time after nearly 10 years in this job and with me struggling this sounds appealing so an appointment with OH Assist nurse has been made for tomorrow,
the problem is that at the moment I hav'nt take any time of sick (yet !) with my problems as I have always tired to carry on, this combined with not being diagnosed with anything (had blood tests done and come back with problem with my liver) yet when all i have is symptoms is surely going to count against being offered ihr when at the moment its leaving me feeling like an old man when i am only 46,
I presume that they will want to contact my gp but my surgery is not very good seen about 3 different doctors as it is hard to make appointments .
I know this has been long winded but just looking for some help and advice from people that are going through this process or who have been through it.
Thanks anyway
k979aaa
Posts: 12578
Joined: 03 Sep 2007, 19:14
Gender: Male
Location: THE NORTH

IHR HELP

Post by k979aaa »

IHR payment is 34 weeks pay plus PILON which you would get 9 weeks so 43 weeks in your case of your contractual pay before tax, hope this helps you but your health must come first get to your doctor and keep badgering them and f**k the DOM.
d.h.o.s.g.r.f
Posts: 27
Joined: 13 Aug 2009, 22:19
Gender: Male

IHR HELP

Post by d.h.o.s.g.r.f »

k979aaa wrote:IHR payment is 34 weeks pay plus PILON which you would get 9 weeks so 43 weeks in your case of your contractual pay before tax, hope this helps you but your health must come first get to your doctor and keep badgering them and f**k the DOM.
Thanks for the reply got a appointment on Wednesday at doctors so should have more of an idea when I have spoken to oh tomorrow.
postman nel
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 122
Joined: 24 Apr 2013, 15:31
Gender: Male

IHR HELP

Post by postman nel »

In my experience..I was referred to ATOS because of on going back and hip issues and because I managed my own pain relief and wasn't on any stage for sickness they refused me IHR ..eventually I ended up having an operation on my hip and was off work for some time because of this...ATOS changed their tune and couldn't wait to offer me IHR ..which I gladly took :nana
bustedflush
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1493
Joined: 16 Feb 2013, 11:19
Gender: Male

IHR HELP

Post by bustedflush »

d.h.o.s.g.r.f wrote:Hi recently had a meeting with new Dom due to recent revision, at this meeting I was told that I could'nt carry on with my current shift pattern over 4 days and will have to drop to 3 days still with same hours (20 hpw),
told him I can't come in for the time he wants me to due to childcare issues, he then tells me that this will cause problems and that there isnt anything else I can do for the hours I want to work,
now at this point I decided to tell him about my ongoing health problems which started last year, intermittent loss of blood from my rectum (for which I am still waiting for a hospital appointment for a colonoscopy) and the problem which is giving me the most grief namely pain in my joints, now this is not just normal pain as it can range from flu like aches in my joints to sharp pain and stiffness in my joints which makes it really hard when out on delivery,
when the Dom hears this you could see his eyes light up and he tells me (not that he wants to push me into anything) that I could finish on ill health retirement with a lump sum.
Now to tell you the truth at this moment in time after nearly 10 years in this job and with me struggling this sounds appealing so an appointment with OH Assist nurse has been made for tomorrow,
the problem is that at the moment I hav'nt take any time of sick (yet !) with my problems as I have always tired to carry on, this combined with not being diagnosed with anything (had blood tests done and come back with problem with my liver) yet when all i have is symptoms is surely going to count against being offered ihr when at the moment its leaving me feeling like an old man when i am only 46,
I presume that they will want to contact my gp but my surgery is not very good seen about 3 different doctors as it is hard to make appointments .
I know this has been long winded but just looking for some help and advice from people that are going through this process or who have been through it.
Thanks anyway
Aside from the unpleasant first issue you describe, which fortunately seems less serious than I suspected when I read further, it sounds like you may have arthritis in the joints. Rheumatoid will give swelling, osteo will not usually swell but give stiffness, aching and pain. I have it in both knees. If you had x-rays I would be surprised if you didn't have it.
You are one of the walking wounded like many of us. I personally would see the GP about joint pain and they will x-ray them. Assuming I am correct, this is more ammunition for you (or the DIM) to almost make certain you will get IHR.
It sounds like the DIM won't be a problem, but he may not have the final say, so the liver AND arthritis should provide more than enough reason - if that's what you really want. I don't blame you. I feel it's only a matter of time before I break down again and I will end up IH'd. (The DIM mentioned this after my second absence when my other knee was diagnosed.)
Thank God the Union has at least secured a reasonable IH package for us all, because it's becoming apparent with P&L there will be more and more occurrences.
d.h.o.s.g.r.f
Posts: 27
Joined: 13 Aug 2009, 22:19
Gender: Male

IHR HELP

Post by d.h.o.s.g.r.f »

bustedflush wrote:
d.h.o.s.g.r.f wrote:Hi recently had a meeting with new Dom due to recent revision, at this meeting I was told that I could'nt carry on with my current shift pattern over 4 days and will have to drop to 3 days still with same hours (20 hpw),
told him I can't come in for the time he wants me to due to childcare issues, he then tells me that this will cause problems and that there isnt anything else I can do for the hours I want to work,
now at this point I decided to tell him about my ongoing health problems which started last year, intermittent loss of blood from my rectum (for which I am still waiting for a hospital appointment for a colonoscopy) and the problem which is giving me the most grief namely pain in my joints, now this is not just normal pain as it can range from flu like aches in my joints to sharp pain and stiffness in my joints which makes it really hard when out on delivery,
when the Dom hears this you could see his eyes light up and he tells me (not that he wants to push me into anything) that I could finish on ill health retirement with a lump sum.
Now to tell you the truth at this moment in time after nearly 10 years in this job and with me struggling this sounds appealing so an appointment with OH Assist nurse has been made for tomorrow,
the problem is that at the moment I hav'nt take any time of sick (yet !) with my problems as I have always tired to carry on, this combined with not being diagnosed with anything (had blood tests done and come back with problem with my liver) yet when all i have is symptoms is surely going to count against being offered ihr when at the moment its leaving me feeling like an old man when i am only 46,
I presume that they will want to contact my gp but my surgery is not very good seen about 3 different doctors as it is hard to make appointments .
I know this has been long winded but just looking for some help and advice from people that are going through this process or who have been through it.
Thanks anyway
Aside from the unpleasant first issue you describe, which fortunately seems less serious than I suspected when I read further, it sounds like you may have arthritis in the joints. Rheumatoid will give swelling, osteo will not usually swell but give stiffness, aching and pain. I have it in both knees. If you had x-rays I would be surprised if you didn't have it.
You are one of the walking wounded like many of us. I personally would see the GP about joint pain and they will x-ray them. Assuming I am correct, this is more ammunition for you (or the DIM) to almost make certain you will get IHR.
It sounds like the DIM won't be a problem, but he may not have the final say, so the liver AND arthritis should provide more than enough reason - if that's what you really want. I don't blame you. I feel it's only a matter of time before I break down again and I will end up IH'd. (The DIM mentioned this after my second absence when my other knee was diagnosed.)
Thank God the Union has at least secured a reasonable IH package for us all, because it's becoming apparent with P&L there will be more and more occurrences.
Thanks for your help had a test for rheumatoid arthritis but nothing conclusive came back just a problem with my liver which surprised me as I don't really drink, had more tests done but as of yet not heard anything but yes would like to get out now as my body doesn't seem up to the job anymore and sure as eggs is eggs this job sure won't get any easier just find it all very depressing.
Chelseablue
Posts: 2222
Joined: 19 Aug 2013, 14:33
Gender: Female

IHR HELP

Post by Chelseablue »

Its a horrible situation for all us older long servers , bodies deteriating , struggling with health what do we do stay on , knowing that they are gonna pile on more to us or ?