ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Insurance scam?

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Trolleyed
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 56
Joined: 16 Dec 2014, 18:06
Gender: Male

Insurance scam?

Post by Trolleyed »

Over the last couple of weeks I have noticed mail addressed to people with what looks like Romanian surnames, to addresses where I know damn well they don't live. (Checked the first one with the people who do live there and the other two happen to be friends of mine). Some are signed for, some aren't but they are always from insurance companies. Have informed DOM and just been killing them off. Wondered if it might be some sort of scam. Anyone else had this?
IcanthelpthewayIam
Posts: 4067
Joined: 26 May 2009, 13:37
Gender: Male

Insurance scam?

Post by IcanthelpthewayIam »

Just killing them off? why not deliver them?
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72727
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Insurance scam?

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

zx135 wrote:Just killing them off? why not deliver them?
Because they were refused.
Trolleyed wrote:Over the last couple of weeks I have noticed mail addressed to people with what looks like Romanian surnames, to addresses where I know damn well they don't live. (Checked the first one with the people who do live there and the other two happen to be friends of mine). Some are signed for, some aren't but they are always from insurance companies. Have informed DOM and just been killing them off. Wondered if it might be some sort of scam. Anyone else had this?
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
IcanthelpthewayIam
Posts: 4067
Joined: 26 May 2009, 13:37
Gender: Male

Insurance scam?

Post by IcanthelpthewayIam »

TrueBlueTerrier wrote:
zx135 wrote:Just killing them off? why not deliver them?
Because they were refused.
Trolleyed wrote:Over the last couple of weeks I have noticed mail addressed to people with what looks like Romanian surnames, to addresses where I know damn well they don't live. (Checked the first one with the people who do live there and the other two happen to be friends of mine). Some are signed for, some aren't but they are always from insurance companies. Have informed DOM and just been killing them off. Wondered if it might be some sort of scam. Anyone else had this?

"The other two happen to be friends of mine" does not say he checked they refused them first and also only sounds like he checked once with the first household he should be delivering any subsequent ones and not just killing them off
Trolleyed
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 56
Joined: 16 Dec 2014, 18:06
Gender: Male

Insurance scam?

Post by Trolleyed »

Sorry, to be clear they were refused by all three. I knew they would be refused by my friends but I did check. Have been killing off subsequent ones of same name/address and will check any new ones.
IcanthelpthewayIam
Posts: 4067
Joined: 26 May 2009, 13:37
Gender: Male

Insurance scam?

Post by IcanthelpthewayIam »

Trolleyed wrote:Sorry, to be clear they were refused by all three. I knew they would be refused by my friends but I did check. Have been killing off subsequent ones of same name/address and will check any new ones.

shouldnt be doing that, you should be posting everyone that hasn't been specifically refused, even if you know the name is not someone at an address
Trolleyed
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 56
Joined: 16 Dec 2014, 18:06
Gender: Male

Insurance scam?

Post by Trolleyed »

Even when they've told me they don't want mail with those names on?
IcanthelpthewayIam
Posts: 4067
Joined: 26 May 2009, 13:37
Gender: Male

Insurance scam?

Post by IcanthelpthewayIam »

Trolleyed wrote:Even when they've told me they don't want mail with those names on?
yes
Trolleyed
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 56
Joined: 16 Dec 2014, 18:06
Gender: Male

Insurance scam?

Post by Trolleyed »

Fair enough, thought I was doing them a favour but from now on I'll just post it all regardless.
Dorset Plodder
Posts: 4351
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
Gender: Male

Insurance scam?

Post by Dorset Plodder »

Just tell the Occupants to mark them up "Not Know at this Address" and put them back in the postbox. Covers you just in case you kill off a letter they want, and I always tell them at least you know what's addressed to your house. :hmmmm

I NEVER take mail off customers, if I did I'd be taking back half that I'd taken out. I know some lazy Posties that try and kill off mail to save them going to that address. But that's a sure way to drop yourself in the shite. The Customer (the one whose paid the postage) wants it delivered to a certain address: The job's not rocket science just "Deliver as Addressed", we don't get paid enough to be Detectives! :thumbup
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
Trolleyed
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 56
Joined: 16 Dec 2014, 18:06
Gender: Male

Insurance scam?

Post by Trolleyed »

Thanks DP, will do.
arnold cheshire
Posts: 5309
Joined: 14 Oct 2010, 21:28
Gender: Male
Location: england

Insurance scam?

Post by arnold cheshire »

Insurance quotes we've had these all at the same address
Lounge Lizard
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 9458
Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54

Insurance scam?

Post by Lounge Lizard »

Trolleyed wrote:Over the last couple of weeks I have noticed mail addressed to people with what looks like Romanian surnames, to addresses where I know damn well they don't live. (Checked the first one with the people who do live there and the other two happen to be friends of mine). Some are signed for, some aren't but they are always from insurance companies. Have informed DOM and just been killing them off. Wondered if it might be some sort of scam. Anyone else had this?
I had some yesterday from an insurance company to a farm addressed to people with what looks like Romanian surnames, one of them a Signed For.
The farmer said he had worked there a while ago and probably owed money so they were killed off, Not Delivered, Addressee Gone Away.
It's not for me to kill them off without being told something like that.
Trolleyed
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 56
Joined: 16 Dec 2014, 18:06
Gender: Male

Insurance scam?

Post by Trolleyed »

Lounge Lizard wrote:
Trolleyed wrote:Over the last couple of weeks I have noticed mail addressed to people with what looks like Romanian surnames, to addresses where I know damn well they don't live. (Checked the first one with the people who do live there and the other two happen to be friends of mine). Some are signed for, some aren't but they are always from insurance companies. Have informed DOM and just been killing them off. Wondered if it might be some sort of scam. Anyone else had this?
I had some yesterday from an insurance company to a farm addressed to people with what looks like Romanian surnames, one of them a Signed For.
The farmer said he had worked there a while ago and probably owed money so they were killed off, Not Delivered, Addressee Gone Away.
It's not for me to kill them off without being told something like that.
I was told they didn't live there and had never lived there (houses are only a year or two old). Does that mean you are taking mail for the same name to the farm and asking the farmer every time?
peterg
Posts: 16
Joined: 17 Jan 2008, 15:07

Insurance scam?

Post by peterg »

I see this a lot on my post round. People input an address from a low risk (and low price) area on the internet for a quote then download a cover note. If someone bumps you in your car always get a photo of the driver because otherwise you may not be able to trace them.