ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Gross misconduct??
-
postie0000
- Posts: 21
- Joined: 30 Jun 2013, 10:49
- Gender: Male
Gross misconduct??
Should you get susspended and if your not how can it be gross misconduct?? Confused by this
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72727
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Gross misconduct??
postie0000 wrote:Should you get suspended and if your not how can it be gross misconduct?? Confused by this
No, you should only get suspended for gross misconduct to protect others, or to protect the integrity of the mail. So in most cases of violence or theft suspension is likely, but if you have just called a Manager something you shouldn't then its a judgement call.
It all depends on the scale and type of incident that is the subject of a charge of Gross Misconduct, and an immediate suspension is not always required. It is, however, a judgement call.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
postie0000
- Posts: 21
- Joined: 30 Jun 2013, 10:49
- Gender: Male
Gross misconduct??
So if your not suspended your not voilent danger to others or the security/safety of mail as your still working with both so how can it be gross?
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72727
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Gross misconduct??
It's not possible to list everything that is non-violent, or places the mail at no risk but, for instance, it is gross misconduct if you call your boss a TWAT.postie0000 wrote:So if you're not suspended your not violent danger to others or the security/safety of mail as your still working with both so how can it be gross?
Without knowing the particulars of a situation it's impossible to say whether or not it could be considered Gross Misconduct, but, in any case, levelling the charge and suspension are both judgement calls. It's not an either or-or situation it's not that cut and dry.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
postie0000
- Posts: 21
- Joined: 30 Jun 2013, 10:49
- Gender: Male
Gross misconduct??
So you can call your boss a twat and then because staffing is low he/she can keep you in work
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72727
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Gross misconduct??
Its a judgement call, but theroetically yes.postie0000 wrote:So you can call your boss a twat and then because staffing is low he/she can keep you in work
Of course the level of staffing shouldn't be a factor.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
bandit1157
- Posts: 246
- Joined: 20 Aug 2009, 00:51
- Gender: Male
- Location: sh1t street
Gross misconduct??
I'll get my dictionarypostie0000 wrote:So you can call your boss a twat and then because staffing is low he/she can keep you in work
It's life Jim but not as we know it
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72727
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Gross misconduct??
I'd put it back, they can decide not to suspend you, but they can proceed with the charge of Gross Misconduct and sack you.bandit1157 wrote:I'll get my dictionarypostie0000 wrote:So you can call your boss a twat and then because staffing is low he/she can keep you in work
Deciding to suspend you or not whilst the investigation is going on, and deciding to dismiss you or not at the end of the investigation are 2 different matters.
Acas say it a lot better than I can.
http://www.acas.org.uk/index.aspx?articleid=3905" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
What an organisation regards as acts of gross misconduct should be clear from its disciplinary rules. Typically, they might include such things as theft or fraud, physical violence, gross negligence, incapacity due to alcohol or illegal drugs, and serious insubordination.
It may not be appropriate for the employee to be at work while facts are established, so a short period of suspension on full pay may be helpful. But a suspension should only be imposed after careful consideration. It should be made clear to the employee that it is not in itself a disciplinary action and does not involve any prejudgement.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
grumpyme
- Posts: 16
- Joined: 25 Feb 2016, 16:25
- Gender: Male
Gross misconduct??
When my line manager suspended me for insubordination , I was told by my rep that Royal Mail didn't recognise that as a reason to be suspended.