ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

HR Claiming back allowances

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
houseoflords
Posts: 352
Joined: 06 Feb 2012, 22:25
Gender: Male

HR Claiming back allowances

Post by houseoflords »

This week I have received a letter from HR stating since 2014 Royal Mail have been looking at allowances and payments to employees, I had up until last year been receiving a weekly driving allowance of £30.00 to drive the 400cf vans, but that had abruptly stopped and was informed on the grapevine that the HR would be looking to recover this now so called defunct allowance from way back as 2011 when Van Sharing came into our workplace, they seem to make out that we then shouldn't of been getting the allowance and we owed them the money that was paid to us from such a time, this so called disappeared and now it has returned and they seem adamant that they will be recovering this money and the line manager will need to speak to us individually to form sort of payment plan, if one can not be met it states they will insist that 10% of the net weekly pay will be deducted.

This affects a good dozen of my fellow colleagues and I guess many others around the country so Royal Mail will be in for a win win situation when all the monies starts to flow back into their hands, I would totally understand if I had be informed that I was being paid an allowance for say a Night Duty but was performing a day shift and had been getting something that was not owed to me, but I am still performing the same duty I have held for about 7/8 years and was getting payment to drive the van then but now I'm being led to believe that I'm in debt to them for roughly around £3000, which is a lot of money to suddenly to have to pay back, we were led to believe that if we did pick off the Driving Duty then you would loose the allowance but many of us stayed on the duty/s so we didn't loose our allowances.

I'd be interested to know if anybody else around the country has had this letter or been informed they will now be responsible to pay back these monies that Royal Mail claim they are now owed from their Employees?
trythat
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 720
Joined: 23 Jun 2007, 16:36

HR Claiming back allowances

Post by trythat »

I was under the impression a lot of these allowances are 'grandfathered', especially driving allowances. This again is something the CWU should be sorting out and advising opg and reps what they should do.
Jambomatt1874
Posts: 168
Joined: 30 Mar 2010, 19:26
Gender: Male

HR Claiming back allowances

Post by Jambomatt1874 »

The Cwu are only interested when it suits them. A certain area rep told me he was to busy to look into this as he had an election to sort out!!
pj2001
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 76
Joined: 27 Jun 2012, 20:37
Gender: Male

HR Claiming back allowances

Post by pj2001 »

Drivers grandfather rights were only around £6 per week. Looks like HR are right you've been over paid for years.
Creditshampoo
Posts: 1189
Joined: 06 Oct 2014, 19:48
Gender: Male

HR Claiming back allowances

Post by Creditshampoo »

If they've overpaid you it's their problem don't pay them a penny
datasaint
Posts: 1541
Joined: 22 Sep 2008, 17:19
Gender: Male

HR Claiming back allowances

Post by datasaint »

Creditshampoo wrote:If they've overpaid you it's their problem don't pay them a penny
???

It says at the bottom of every payslip any overpayments you are liable to pay back (or something to that effect).

Unless you can make a strong argument why you're entitled to that money you're stumped.
User avatar
POSTMAN
SITE ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 32794
Joined: 07 Aug 2006, 03:19
Gender: Male

HR Claiming back allowances

Post by POSTMAN »

For reference CWU Overpayments Recovery Procedure...

http://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/communit ... 36&t=24384" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Don't let them do you over.
I Wrote-During Covid-Which is still relevant now
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72727
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

HR Claiming back allowances

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

and LTBs from last year on this http://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/communit ... 15&t=69835" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/communit ... 15&t=68281" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
petsco
Posts: 11
Joined: 05 Sep 2015, 21:06
Gender: Male

HR Claiming back allowances

Post by petsco »

Hi, not only driving allowances..I was performing phg duties constantly from about 1991till the way forward agreement came into force in 2000. They never made me "up". Had another phg from another office to take my place, then retired. Went to court to resolve, didn't go in my favour because my contact hadn't changed !! #caringforstaff
ganda
Posts: 131
Joined: 16 Dec 2011, 22:24
Gender: Male

HR Claiming back allowances

Post by ganda »

From the date of inception of shared vans you would have received three years of driving allowance, after that period it should have stopped. If you continued to receive it after those three years, then technically you owe them from the date after the three years.