ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Sore fingertips
-
grumpyme
- Posts: 16
- Joined: 25 Feb 2016, 16:25
- Gender: Male
Sore fingertips
Does anyone else suffer from sore, cracked fingertips and thumbs ?
It only happens in the winter, and when i catch them sometimes on letterboxes or gates it feels like an electric shock.
I have to tape them up each day, has anyone who also suffers from this any suggestions on what else i could try, is there a product i could buy ?
It only happens in the winter, and when i catch them sometimes on letterboxes or gates it feels like an electric shock.
I have to tape them up each day, has anyone who also suffers from this any suggestions on what else i could try, is there a product i could buy ?
-
wannabeek
- Posts: 996
- Joined: 27 Apr 2011, 00:49
- Gender: Male
Sore fingertips
I used to get this until a couple of years ago when I bought a decent pair of gloves for cold weather work. I tried all sorts of barrier creams, lotions, etc before and after work with no great results from any of them to be honest.
-
grumpyme
- Posts: 16
- Joined: 25 Feb 2016, 16:25
- Gender: Male
Sore fingertips
I find full finger gloves are no good for me when posting, the fingerless ones are just right except for my fingertips/thumbs.wannabeek wrote:I used to get this until a couple of years ago when I bought a decent pair of gloves for cold weather work. I tried all sorts of barrier creams, lotions, etc before and after work with no great results from any of them to be honest.
This only started a couple of years ago.
-
PostmanCat
- Posts: 11
- Joined: 01 Aug 2012, 12:55
- Gender: Male
Sore fingertips
I found Vaseline Intensive Repair really good stuff.
-
bustedflush
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1493
- Joined: 16 Feb 2013, 11:19
- Gender: Male
Sore fingertips
Funnily enough I have regular bouts of this, especially right thumb, all year round. I simply spread superglue over the cracks, then squeeze them all together while it bonds then use a fabric elastoplast for a few days then they're healed. Don't worry, superglue was originally developed for surgery, won't poison you.
Doing this fills the splits up so they don't expose nerves and jip all the time.
If really bad, keep the elastoplast damp/wet when not working as this keeps the skin moist and supple and stops further splitting.
Doing this fills the splits up so they don't expose nerves and jip all the time.
If really bad, keep the elastoplast damp/wet when not working as this keeps the skin moist and supple and stops further splitting.
-
grumpyme
- Posts: 16
- Joined: 25 Feb 2016, 16:25
- Gender: Male
Sore fingertips
Tried Vaseline Intensive Repair, but it didn't work.PostmanCat wrote:I found Vaseline Intensive Repair really good stuff.
Not tried superglue, i'll get some tomorrow after I've finished work. Will let you know how I get on with it. Thanks for the tipbustedflush wrote:Funnily enough I have regular bouts of this, especially right thumb, all year round. I simply spread superglue over the cracks, then squeeze them all together while it bonds then use a fabric elastoplast for a few days then they're healed. Don't worry, superglue was originally developed for surgery, won't poison you.
Doing this fills the splits up so they don't expose nerves and jip all the time.
If really bad, keep the elastoplast damp/wet when not working as this keeps the skin moist and supple and stops further splitting.
-
bluealbert
- Posts: 176
- Joined: 09 Mar 2011, 16:13
- Gender: Male
Sore fingertips
Yep hands all cracked and itching this winter been like this for a couple of months now any ideas how to get rid ? 
-
Ricardo44
- Posts: 164
- Joined: 15 Dec 2013, 20:34
- Gender: Male
Sore fingertips
I can reccomend Neutragena hand cream for this.
It works but you need to apply it regularly.
It works but you need to apply it regularly.
-
mightymetro
- Posts: 18
- Joined: 13 Oct 2011, 08:02
- Gender: Male
Sore fingertips
Hi, i really suffered form this and have been using O'keefes Working hands cream. Smells a bit like Amonia but honestly worked after 1 day. Half the office is using it now. Hope that helps. I purchased mine from Amazon
-
HarryPoorer
- Posts: 112
- Joined: 06 Jul 2011, 21:07
- Gender: Male
Sore fingertips
Poundland hand cream 2 for 1 , I use it daily, good make probably.
-
peshwaarinaan
- Posts: 381
- Joined: 29 May 2015, 11:35
- Gender: Female
Sore fingertips
Try Diprobase. I put it on before I go to bed. It's very good.
-
martynbailey
- Posts: 1
- Joined: 11 Feb 2016, 16:26
- Gender: Male
Sore fingertips
My doctor told me its all the germs on the mail we handle, that cause the cracked skin to take a long time to heal.
-
wa4jim
- Posts: 15
- Joined: 09 Feb 2016, 20:40
- Gender: Male
Sore fingertips
I've been suffering from split thumbs too - from the edge of my nail forwards. I looked into glues and found DermaFlex. It's is the posh version of Superglue. Not cheap so I never tried it but just stuck to Neutrogena hand cream instead.
http://chemencemedical.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.neutrogena.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://chemencemedical.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.neutrogena.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
-
DB1100
- Posts: 1976
- Joined: 10 Sep 2007, 14:30
Sore fingertips
Get some micropore tape off the first aider at work and put this over your cracked finger tip's,it works a treat.
For we were soldiers once,and young
-
GRS
- Posts: 826
- Joined: 15 Jun 2015, 18:38
- Gender: Female
- Location: South West
Sore fingertips
Really suffer from this badly and it got to the point that my entire fingertips had deep cracks in them that bled constantly on delivery. I used to Vaseline them and cover with plasters but it became a bit awkward when all fingers are covered up to flick through the mail plus the plasters used to come off. However I've found a saviour and I urge anyone who suffers from this to buy O'Keefe's Working Hands hand cream. You can get it in Boots at about £7.99 and I've also found it in Screwfix and Toolstation for about £5.99. It is absolutely brilliant and my hands healed up within two days and have never split again. It is the best stuff to use and although it sounds a bit pricey it is quite a large tub and you only use a smear at a time so lasts ages.