ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Sore fingertips

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
grumpyme
Posts: 16
Joined: 25 Feb 2016, 16:25
Gender: Male

Sore fingertips

Post by grumpyme »

Does anyone else suffer from sore, cracked fingertips and thumbs ?

It only happens in the winter, and when i catch them sometimes on letterboxes or gates it feels like an electric shock.

I have to tape them up each day, has anyone who also suffers from this any suggestions on what else i could try, is there a product i could buy ?
wannabeek
Posts: 996
Joined: 27 Apr 2011, 00:49
Gender: Male

Sore fingertips

Post by wannabeek »

I used to get this until a couple of years ago when I bought a decent pair of gloves for cold weather work. I tried all sorts of barrier creams, lotions, etc before and after work with no great results from any of them to be honest.
grumpyme
Posts: 16
Joined: 25 Feb 2016, 16:25
Gender: Male

Sore fingertips

Post by grumpyme »

wannabeek wrote:I used to get this until a couple of years ago when I bought a decent pair of gloves for cold weather work. I tried all sorts of barrier creams, lotions, etc before and after work with no great results from any of them to be honest.
I find full finger gloves are no good for me when posting, the fingerless ones are just right except for my fingertips/thumbs.

This only started a couple of years ago.
PostmanCat
Posts: 11
Joined: 01 Aug 2012, 12:55
Gender: Male

Sore fingertips

Post by PostmanCat »

I found Vaseline Intensive Repair really good stuff.
bustedflush
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1493
Joined: 16 Feb 2013, 11:19
Gender: Male

Sore fingertips

Post by bustedflush »

Funnily enough I have regular bouts of this, especially right thumb, all year round. I simply spread superglue over the cracks, then squeeze them all together while it bonds then use a fabric elastoplast for a few days then they're healed. Don't worry, superglue was originally developed for surgery, won't poison you.

Doing this fills the splits up so they don't expose nerves and jip all the time.

If really bad, keep the elastoplast damp/wet when not working as this keeps the skin moist and supple and stops further splitting.
grumpyme
Posts: 16
Joined: 25 Feb 2016, 16:25
Gender: Male

Sore fingertips

Post by grumpyme »

PostmanCat wrote:I found Vaseline Intensive Repair really good stuff.
Tried Vaseline Intensive Repair, but it didn't work.
bustedflush wrote:Funnily enough I have regular bouts of this, especially right thumb, all year round. I simply spread superglue over the cracks, then squeeze them all together while it bonds then use a fabric elastoplast for a few days then they're healed. Don't worry, superglue was originally developed for surgery, won't poison you.

Doing this fills the splits up so they don't expose nerves and jip all the time.

If really bad, keep the elastoplast damp/wet when not working as this keeps the skin moist and supple and stops further splitting.
Not tried superglue, i'll get some tomorrow after I've finished work. Will let you know how I get on with it. Thanks for the tip :thumbup
bluealbert
Posts: 176
Joined: 09 Mar 2011, 16:13
Gender: Male

Sore fingertips

Post by bluealbert »

Yep hands all cracked and itching this winter been like this for a couple of months now any ideas how to get rid ? :cry
Ricardo44
Posts: 164
Joined: 15 Dec 2013, 20:34
Gender: Male

Sore fingertips

Post by Ricardo44 »

I can reccomend Neutragena hand cream for this.

It works but you need to apply it regularly.
mightymetro
Posts: 18
Joined: 13 Oct 2011, 08:02
Gender: Male

Sore fingertips

Post by mightymetro »

Hi, i really suffered form this and have been using O'keefes Working hands cream. Smells a bit like Amonia but honestly worked after 1 day. Half the office is using it now. Hope that helps. I purchased mine from Amazon
HarryPoorer
Posts: 112
Joined: 06 Jul 2011, 21:07
Gender: Male

Sore fingertips

Post by HarryPoorer »

Poundland hand cream 2 for 1 , I use it daily, good make probably.
peshwaarinaan
Posts: 381
Joined: 29 May 2015, 11:35
Gender: Female

Sore fingertips

Post by peshwaarinaan »

Try Diprobase. I put it on before I go to bed. It's very good.
martynbailey
Posts: 1
Joined: 11 Feb 2016, 16:26
Gender: Male

Sore fingertips

Post by martynbailey »

My doctor told me its all the germs on the mail we handle, that cause the cracked skin to take a long time to heal.
wa4jim
Posts: 15
Joined: 09 Feb 2016, 20:40
Gender: Male

Sore fingertips

Post by wa4jim »

I've been suffering from split thumbs too - from the edge of my nail forwards. I looked into glues and found DermaFlex. It's is the posh version of Superglue. Not cheap so I never tried it but just stuck to Neutrogena hand cream instead.

http://chemencemedical.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.neutrogena.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
DB1100
Posts: 1976
Joined: 10 Sep 2007, 14:30

Sore fingertips

Post by DB1100 »

Get some micropore tape off the first aider at work and put this over your cracked finger tip's,it works a treat.
For we were soldiers once,and young
GRS
Posts: 826
Joined: 15 Jun 2015, 18:38
Gender: Female
Location: South West

Sore fingertips

Post by GRS »

Really suffer from this badly and it got to the point that my entire fingertips had deep cracks in them that bled constantly on delivery. I used to Vaseline them and cover with plasters but it became a bit awkward when all fingers are covered up to flick through the mail plus the plasters used to come off. However I've found a saviour and I urge anyone who suffers from this to buy O'Keefe's Working Hands hand cream. You can get it in Boots at about £7.99 and I've also found it in Screwfix and Toolstation for about £5.99. It is absolutely brilliant and my hands healed up within two days and have never split again. It is the best stuff to use and although it sounds a bit pricey it is quite a large tub and you only use a smear at a time so lasts ages.