ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
If your tax code is 1060L read this
-
IcanthelpthewayIam
- Posts: 4067
- Joined: 26 May 2009, 13:37
- Gender: Male
If your tax code is 1060L read this
This is for anyone who has a tax code of 1060L
you may or may not be aware but as a postie you are entitled to claim tax relief for uniform expenses, there's lots of companies out there that will process claims for you but it's simple to do yourself, if you have a higher tax code ie 1120L then chance are you are already getting this relief
there's 2 ways to do it,
1 claim the flat rate of £60 per year that the government have agreed for our type of employment
2 claim exactly what it has cost you, more difficult as you need to work out exactly what the costs were
go to this website and fill in the form print it off send it to hmrc and wait for money to hit your account,
https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... oyment-p87" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
you can claim the previous 4 tax years, and you can also claim for the mileage difference between rm rate if you are claiming business mileage from rm
you may or may not be aware but as a postie you are entitled to claim tax relief for uniform expenses, there's lots of companies out there that will process claims for you but it's simple to do yourself, if you have a higher tax code ie 1120L then chance are you are already getting this relief
there's 2 ways to do it,
1 claim the flat rate of £60 per year that the government have agreed for our type of employment
2 claim exactly what it has cost you, more difficult as you need to work out exactly what the costs were
go to this website and fill in the form print it off send it to hmrc and wait for money to hit your account,
https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... oyment-p87" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
you can claim the previous 4 tax years, and you can also claim for the mileage difference between rm rate if you are claiming business mileage from rm
-
datasaint
- Posts: 1541
- Joined: 22 Sep 2008, 17:19
- Gender: Male
If your tax code is 1060L read this
Thanks for this. 
-
OscarPanda
- Posts: 23
- Joined: 28 Nov 2012, 14:35
- Gender: Female
If your tax code is 1060L read this
Your tax code will be 1072L if you are already getting getting the uniform allowance of £120 a year. (That's £10600 + £120 = £10720, then divide by 10)
However, I have just received my tax code for the financial year for 2016 - 2017 and mine apparently will be 1100L as the personal allowance will be rising to £11000 pa. Unless I'm missing something, this does not take into account the uniform allowance, so I hope that either RM or HMRC are on the case if it's not just me!
I think the new code should be 1112L....
Can anyone explain or put me right?
However, I have just received my tax code for the financial year for 2016 - 2017 and mine apparently will be 1100L as the personal allowance will be rising to £11000 pa. Unless I'm missing something, this does not take into account the uniform allowance, so I hope that either RM or HMRC are on the case if it's not just me!
I think the new code should be 1112L....
Can anyone explain or put me right?
-
crazyshrew
- Posts: 584
- Joined: 19 Jun 2011, 16:58
- Gender: Female
- Location: Coastal, South West
If your tax code is 1060L read this
is it £60 or £120?
As those who are already getting it are getting £120, why only claim £60
As those who are already getting it are getting £120, why only claim £60
-
datasaint
- Posts: 1541
- Joined: 22 Sep 2008, 17:19
- Gender: Male
If your tax code is 1060L read this
I'm on tax code 1072L but never applied for the uniform tax relief, does that mean they do it automatically?
-
rogersh
- MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
- Posts: 1374
- Joined: 26 Oct 2011, 11:31
- Gender: Male
If your tax code is 1060L read this
I have also received a letter from HMRC this year (for tax year 16/17) which states;OscarPanda wrote:Your tax code will be 1072L if you are already getting getting the uniform allowance of £120 a year. (That's £10600 + £120 = £10720, then divide by 10)
However, I have just received my tax code for the financial year for 2016 - 2017 and mine apparently will be 1100L as the personal allowance will be rising to £11000 pa. Unless I'm missing something, this does not take into account the uniform allowance, so I hope that either RM or HMRC are on the case if it's not just me!
I think the new code should be 1112L....
Can anyone explain or put me right?
Personal Allowance £11000
Flat rate job expenses £120
Total tax-free amount £11120
I have always had £120 included in my tax code since I started with RM 3 years ago.
-
postiewhite
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 619
- Joined: 23 Jul 2013, 18:38
- Gender: Male
If your tax code is 1060L read this
my tax code is 1000 is that right?
-
OscarPanda
- Posts: 23
- Joined: 28 Nov 2012, 14:35
- Gender: Female
If your tax code is 1060L read this
Thanks rogersh, I think I had better get on to HMRC and get it sorted!
I too have always had the £120 allowance since starting at RM three years ago! It was applied automatically...
I too have always had the £120 allowance since starting at RM three years ago! It was applied automatically...
-
IcanthelpthewayIam
- Posts: 4067
- Joined: 26 May 2009, 13:37
- Gender: Male
If your tax code is 1060L read this
crazyshrew wrote:is it £60 or £120?
As those who are already getting it are getting £120, why only claim £60
The amount is £120 if it was done by royal mail in agreement with the union and hmrc (that is the amount i get as well) however if making a claim personally youself then going by hmrc guidlines then as there is not published allowance on the hmrc website for postmen you should only claim £60 flat rate for other employments, yes it is lower but I don't want to recommend claiming the £120 when I can't back that up with anything online
-
IcanthelpthewayIam
- Posts: 4067
- Joined: 26 May 2009, 13:37
- Gender: Male
If your tax code is 1060L read this
OscarPanda wrote:Your tax code will be 1072L if you are already getting getting the uniform allowance of £120 a year. (That's £10600 + £120 = £10720, then divide by 10)
However, I have just received my tax code for the financial year for 2016 - 2017 and mine apparently will be 1100L as the personal allowance will be rising to £11000 pa. Unless I'm missing something, this does not take into account the uniform allowance, so I hope that either RM or HMRC are on the case if it's not just me!
I think the new code should be 1112L....
Can anyone explain or put me right?
you will need to contact hmrc to get them to add it back on again
-
BeamishStout
- Posts: 387
- Joined: 19 Sep 2012, 14:42
- Gender: Male
If your tax code is 1060L read this
I can confirm that I was able to claim £120 per year (going back the last 4 tax years) about 3 months ago by printing off the necessary forms from the HMRC site and sending it via post to them. The allowance was given (plus cheque for previous years claim) within 6-8 weeks of claiming I believe. Personal allowance from April 2016 will be £11000 plus flat rate job expenses of £120. So unless you have a marriage transfer allowance (an additional £1100) your new tax allowance (inc job expenses - cleaning) should be £11120 which equates to a new tax code of 1112 for the tax year beginning April 2016.crazyshrew wrote:is it £60 or £120?
As those who are already getting it are getting £120, why only claim £60
-
crazyshrew
- Posts: 584
- Joined: 19 Jun 2011, 16:58
- Gender: Female
- Location: Coastal, South West
If your tax code is 1060L read this
Thanks for that, that's what I'll try to claim then. Will post off the forms with a cover note stating that £120 is what everyone else in the same job on the same grade is getting. The worst that can happen is they say no and give me lessBeamishStout wrote:I can confirm that I was able to claim £120 per year (going back the last 4 tax years) about 3 months ago by printing off the necessary forms from the HMRC site and sending it via post to them. The allowance was given (plus cheque for previous years claim) within 6-8 weeks of claiming I believe. Personal allowance from April 2016 will be £11000 plus flat rate job expenses of £120. So unless you have a marriage transfer allowance (an additional £1100) your new tax allowance (inc job expenses - cleaning) should be £11120 which equates to a new tax code of 1112 for the tax year beginning April 2016.crazyshrew wrote:is it £60 or £120?
As those who are already getting it are getting £120, why only claim £60
-
IcanthelpthewayIam
- Posts: 4067
- Joined: 26 May 2009, 13:37
- Gender: Male
If your tax code is 1060L read this
Actually just so you are aware, worst case scenario is that you could get prosecuted for making a false claim, that more than likely won't happen but that is the worst case scenario not just a simple they will say no, this is why I have recommended only claiming £60 tax relief as that's the only guidance amount that applies to us that I can find on the hmrc site, if your going to claim £120 I would check that it's ok to do so with hmrc first and keep yourself right rather than the slight possibility of getting into trouble by claiming more than entitled tocrazyshrew wrote:Thanks for that, that's what I'll try to claim then. Will post off the forms with a cover note stating that £120 is what everyone else in the same job on the same grade is getting. The worst that can happen is they say no and give me lessBeamishStout wrote:I can confirm that I was able to claim £120 per year (going back the last 4 tax years) about 3 months ago by printing off the necessary forms from the HMRC site and sending it via post to them. The allowance was given (plus cheque for previous years claim) within 6-8 weeks of claiming I believe. Personal allowance from April 2016 will be £11000 plus flat rate job expenses of £120. So unless you have a marriage transfer allowance (an additional £1100) your new tax allowance (inc job expenses - cleaning) should be £11120 which equates to a new tax code of 1112 for the tax year beginning April 2016.crazyshrew wrote:is it £60 or £120?
As those who are already getting it are getting £120, why only claim £60
-
BeamishStout
- Posts: 387
- Joined: 19 Sep 2012, 14:42
- Gender: Male
If your tax code is 1060L read this
Can you specify the guidance that applies to us - I cannot find it. Cheerszx135 wrote:crazyshrew wrote:BeamishStout wrote:
Actually just so you are aware, worst case scenario is that you could get prosecuted for making a false claim, that more than likely won't happen but that is the worst case scenario not just a simple they will say no, this is why I have recommended only claiming £60 tax relief as that's the only guidance amount that applies to us that I can find on the hmrc site, if your going to claim £120 I would check that it's ok to do so with hmrc first and keep yourself right rather than the slight possibility of getting into trouble by claiming more than entitled to
-
nickbsmooth
- Posts: 279
- Joined: 25 Jan 2013, 14:19
- Gender: Male
- Location: South East
If your tax code is 1060L read this
Tax is so complex in this country,my Tax code is 1066 so guess that's right ?