ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

My final straw

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
KevinK
Posts: 4
Joined: 17 Dec 2015, 00:26
Gender: Male

My final straw

Post by KevinK »

Have only been in this job a few months but today I've had enough - as soon as I find another job I'm out of the place. I have no problem with being outside, mostly don't mind carrying bags way too heavy, am fine with working late, and can accept not getting any decent break while out. Since I've been working here I often seem to be in the firing line when the manager wants to have a go at someone (my sorting frame is first in line, and I can only start at my contracted time due to family which makes me an immediate target), but again could live with this to an extent. As a background to today, the duty I've been on has a street with the same name as streets on other duties in the office, so missorts between them crop up fairly often. A couple of weeks ago a lady from my street came out, gave me a mis-delivery back which had happened on my day off, and asked if I could do anything about this because lots of mail she was expecting wasn't getting to her (she's even sent letters to herself to test this and not received them). I suggested that if she contacted the office then it would be more likely that something could be put in place to make better checks rather than if I simply relayed her concerns for her. I honestly believe that if I just brought the issue up then nothing would happen. So, fast forward to today .... one of the union reps came to me with a clipboard as I walked in the door to start work, and asked if I could remember whether I could have mis-delivered to the address in question on one specific day almost 3 weeks ago, which isn't a question anyone can realistically answer with certainty. I tried to explain the background to this, but all he wanted was confirmation I was at work that day on that duty, and so potentially I could have mis-delivered. Then he left and came back later with a coaching/training sheet where he told me how to check addresses and postcodes and ask more experienced staff for help if I can't read a f*****g address on a letter (my emphasis added there), ticked boxes confirming I had been trained, then proceeded to tell me that if I make any more mistakes it will go to management and I'll be in serious trouble. And the whole thing felt like a telling off from a manager. All this because I'm just trying to help a member of the public out. If a manager had done this I would go straight to the union for some backup, but the union has done this so where am I supposed to go to now? Internet jobs searches seem like the best answer to that.
Nondescript
Posts: 232
Joined: 29 Nov 2013, 16:25
Gender: Male

My final straw

Post by Nondescript »

The job is mostly s**t now with only the occasional happy moment. Where you go now is up to you...tough it out in the knowledge that it's going to get shittier ( six hour delivery spans looming ominously just over the horizon it would seem), or find something better. Finding something better though, there's the rub.
korky
Posts: 797
Joined: 30 Dec 2007, 09:28

My final straw

Post by korky »

not sure why your union rep is wasting time on this matter which shouldn't involve him/her unless they're also a wpc too,
we had a wpc/rep and didn't even work in our d/o :left:
to be fair, they probably got the complaint and must be seen to be acting on it, and i'd sooner it be by a colleague than a dom,
assuming you just prep your own, did they also have a word with those who sorted "10 high street old-town" into the "10 high street new-town" pigeon hole to enable you or the cover to mis-deliver?
i guess not!
Whysoslowyehcfc
Posts: 238
Joined: 02 Apr 2014, 15:57
Gender: Male

My final straw

Post by Whysoslowyehcfc »

korky wrote:not sure why your union rep is wasting time on this matter which shouldn't involve him/her unless they're also a wpc too,
we had a wpc/rep and didn't even work in our d/o :left:
to be fair, they probably got the complaint and must be seen to be acting on it, and i'd sooner it be by a colleague than a dom,
assuming you just prep your own, did they also have a word with those who sorted "10 high street old-town" into the "10 high street new-town" pigeon hole to enable you or the cover to mis-deliver?
i guess not!
ITS TIME THE REPS STARTED TO WORK FOR BLUE SHIRTS AND NOT MANAGEMENT, TOO MANY REPS (90% of them do a good job),ARE IN IT FOR THEMSELVES AND AS LONG AS THEY GET WHAT SUITS THEM, AND WILL DO THE WORK FOR THE MANAGERS.
ITS HAPPENED IN THE PAST IN MY OFFICE, THE REP WAS SORTED A NICE LITTLE DUTY, GOT ANY PDAYS HE WANTED, AS LONG AS HE DONE THE DIRTY WORK FOR MANAGERS, THIS HAS GOT TO STOP!
Surreypostie
Posts: 999
Joined: 04 Aug 2013, 21:05
Gender: Male

My final straw

Post by Surreypostie »

I'd be putting in a grievance against this rep, to say to you, get help if you can't read a f*****g address is nothing short of bullying, total disrespect. I'd actually complain about him to the area rep as well and even HQ. Who does he think he is talking to? You don't have to put up with that. I'd call the bullying line also.
suz67
Posts: 105
Joined: 10 Mar 2010, 15:36
Gender: Male

My final straw

Post by suz67 »

Just tell the rep to f**k off before you chin the twat.
UnhappyGremlin
Posts: 2685
Joined: 18 May 2012, 20:49
Gender: Male
Location: Hiding

My final straw

Post by UnhappyGremlin »

Whysoslowyehcfc wrote:
korky wrote:not sure why your union rep is wasting time on this matter which shouldn't involve him/her unless they're also a wpc too,
we had a wpc/rep and didn't even work in our d/o :left:
to be fair, they probably got the complaint and must be seen to be acting on it, and i'd sooner it be by a colleague than a dom,
assuming you just prep your own, did they also have a word with those who sorted "10 high street old-town" into the "10 high street new-town" pigeon hole to enable you or the cover to mis-deliver?
i guess not!
ITS TIME THE REPS STARTED TO WORK FOR BLUE SHIRTS AND NOT MANAGEMENT, TOO MANY REPS (90% of them do a good job),ARE IN IT FOR THEMSELVES AND AS LONG AS THEY GET WHAT SUITS THEM, AND WILL DO THE WORK FOR THE MANAGERS.
ITS HAPPENED IN THE PAST IN MY OFFICE, THE REP WAS SORTED A NICE LITTLE DUTY, GOT ANY PDAYS HE WANTED, AS LONG AS HE DONE THE DIRTY WORK FOR MANAGERS, THIS HAS GOT TO STOP!
In this case anybody who is unhappy with their local Rep has a choice.

Contact the Area Rep and get a vote of no confidence, and/or stand against them and become the Rep themselves.

Too many people moan about Reps not doing enough or being in the back pocket of DOM's/Managers, but aren't interested in doing something about it.

Processes are there, use them.
Sometimes, I wish I wasn't a Rep.
suz67
Posts: 105
Joined: 10 Mar 2010, 15:36
Gender: Male

My final straw

Post by suz67 »

UnhappyGremlin wrote:
Whysoslowyehcfc wrote:
korky wrote:not sure why your union rep is wasting time on this matter which shouldn't involve him/her unless they're also a wpc too,
we had a wpc/rep and didn't even work in our d/o :left:
to be fair, they probably got the complaint and must be seen to be acting on it, and i'd sooner it be by a colleague than a dom,
assuming you just prep your own, did they also have a word with those who sorted "10 high street old-town" into the "10 high street new-town" pigeon hole to enable you or the cover to mis-deliver?
i guess not!
ITS TIME THE REPS STARTED TO WORK FOR BLUE SHIRTS AND NOT MANAGEMENT, TOO MANY REPS (90% of them do a good job),ARE IN IT FOR THEMSELVES AND AS LONG AS THEY GET WHAT SUITS THEM, AND WILL DO THE WORK FOR THE MANAGERS.
ITS HAPPENED IN THE PAST IN MY OFFICE, THE REP WAS SORTED A NICE LITTLE DUTY, GOT ANY PDAYS HE WANTED, AS LONG AS HE DONE THE DIRTY WORK FOR MANAGERS, THIS HAS GOT TO STOP!
In this case anybody who is unhappy with their local Rep has a choice.

Contact the Area Rep and get a vote of no confidence, and/or stand against them and become the Rep themselves.

Too many people moan about Reps not doing enough or being in the back pocket of DOM's/Managers, but aren't interested in doing something about it.

Processes are there, use them.
Or just tell the twat to f**k off before you chin him!!!
KevinK
Posts: 4
Joined: 17 Dec 2015, 00:26
Gender: Male

My final straw

Post by KevinK »

Just to clarify, I added the emphasis of 'f*****g' to the narrative. And the rep was doing this in his capacity of workplace coach as opposed to rep (perhaps a bit of a conflict of interest there though). However my mind is made up - this job just isn't worth the hassle to me. Yes, the pay is reasonable for what it is but in no way makes up for the atmosphere in the place - and to my mind a job like this should be effectively stress free. A lot of my colleagues seem to not notice it but they have been doing this for years and many have no frame of reference since its what they have always done (due to few other unskilled jobs offering similar levels of pay). True, I could fight my case and go down the grievance route, but I'm going to vote with my feet and get out of there before I run the risk of accepting these sorts of conditions. Most people seem to need all the money they can get and companies such as this exploit that fact to push everyone as hard as they can all the way up/down the ladder, which I believe is the root cause of bullying and harassment. I don't even need half of what I come out with each week and am looking forward to a job that gives me more days off (and days off together), regardless of whether I get paid less. At least I now understand how the phrase "going postal" came into existence!
Postie45
Posts: 2160
Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 23:05
Gender: Male

My final straw

Post by Postie45 »

good luck to you, im personally going to wait around and hopefully there will be more VR offered over the next year or so and ill be off like a shot !
meercat
Posts: 814
Joined: 21 Apr 2010, 16:15
Gender: Male

My final straw

Post by meercat »

KevinK wrote:At least I now understand how the phrase "going postal" came into existence!
It was a few incidents in the US that were the genesis of the phrase. They have guns over there, and short tempers too.

Any new job is stressful but you will find you feel less and less as time goes by. Stress that is, you might find you love life less too yes. Even for a seasoned pro some managers can really piss you off but it does get easier. I wouldn't advise anyone to stay if they could do well elsewhere though because things are definitely going to get worse with more pressure and more expectation over workload. :arrrghhh
KevinK
Posts: 4
Joined: 17 Dec 2015, 00:26
Gender: Male

My final straw

Post by KevinK »

Got offered a new job today! Less days (less money therefore) but all the money in the world can't buy back the time it took to make it. And I get every weekend off for ever (and every Friday and Monday as well). So it looks like my time at RM is soon to be at an end. Feels like a weight off my shoulders. :wave
k979aaa
Posts: 12578
Joined: 03 Sep 2007, 19:14
Gender: Male
Location: THE NORTH

My final straw

Post by k979aaa »

KevinK wrote:Got offered a new job today! Less days (less money therefore) but all the money in the world can't buy back the time it took to make it. And I get every weekend off for ever (and every Friday and Monday as well). So it looks like my time at RM is soon to be at an end. Feels like a weight off my shoulders. :wave
Well good luck pal so the exodus has started lots more will follow KevinK and then where royalmail be at losing good workers hand over fist when these new ideas come to fruition lots more will leave royalmail will be a byword for the modern day workhouse!