ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Holidays

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
ej88
Posts: 25
Joined: 22 Nov 2015, 00:20
Gender: Female

Holidays

Post by ej88 »

I still have over a week to take before April, iv got a week off in March(which was a serious struggle to get) can you get paid for your holidays and just work them?
Biker Mouse
Posts: 543
Joined: 19 Oct 2009, 18:37
Gender: Male

Holidays

Post by Biker Mouse »

ej88 wrote:I still have over a week to take before April, iv got a week off in March(which was a serious struggle to get) can you get paid for your holidays and just work them?
In a nutshell, NO!!
ej88
Posts: 25
Joined: 22 Nov 2015, 00:20
Gender: Female

Holidays

Post by ej88 »

Can I just tell them I'm taking them before April? I know their going to try and fob me off as it took them ages to agree to the week off in March!
IcanthelpthewayIam
Posts: 4067
Joined: 26 May 2009, 13:37
Gender: Male

Holidays

Post by IcanthelpthewayIam »

ej88 wrote:Can I just tell them I'm taking them before April? I know their going to try and fob me off as it took them ages to agree to the week off in March!
potentially, all depends including the week in march how many days leave including bank holidays will you have had off, will it be more or less than 28 days?
ej88
Posts: 25
Joined: 22 Nov 2015, 00:20
Gender: Female

Holidays

Post by ej88 »

A lot less than 28... I think I have had 3 possibly 4 days off in total! After the week booked in March I have something like 1 week 3,4 days owed..
IcanthelpthewayIam
Posts: 4067
Joined: 26 May 2009, 13:37
Gender: Male

Holidays

Post by IcanthelpthewayIam »

ej88 wrote:A lot less than 28... I think I have had 3 possibly 4 days off in total! After the week booked in March I have something like 1 week 3,4 days owed..

that doesn't make sense, how can you have only taken 3 or 4 days in the entire year so far and then after another weeks leave in march only have 1 week 4 days owed?

how much leave including bank holidays have you had (including the week booked in march) in this leave year? not needing to know how much owed just exactly how many days leave you will have had
IcanthelpthewayIam
Posts: 4067
Joined: 26 May 2009, 13:37
Gender: Male

Holidays

Post by IcanthelpthewayIam »

Actually just read your previous posts, seems you started roughly end of september/start of October, in that case instead of 28 days it's roughly 14, so since you have started and between April will you have had less than 14 days will you have had including bank holidays?

If less than 14 (14 as it's roughly half a year since you started so roughly half of your statutory entitlement) you have not had your statutory entitlement and as such royal mail by law must let you take them

(though could be argued as long as you had 28 days before October no law would be broken however that could then become really messy for rm trying to keep track of every single employee with a different 12 month period for statutory leave entitlement)
ej88
Posts: 25
Joined: 22 Nov 2015, 00:20
Gender: Female

Holidays

Post by ej88 »

Yes I started end of August so didn't have the full years entitlement. Will speak to them on Monday about it, thanks!