ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Career break question?

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
caoimhin
Posts: 6
Joined: 26 Jun 2011, 23:06
Gender: Male

Career break question?

Post by caoimhin »

Hi all, I'm planning on having a career break to care for a sick relative, but what I'm wondering is can you do other paid work for another employer during the break? Thanks
spiro
Posts: 5
Joined: 17 Nov 2013, 16:13
Gender: Male

Career break question?

Post by spiro »

No unfortunately there is a stipulation that you can't get another job as you are still technically employed by royal mail.
caoimhin
Posts: 6
Joined: 26 Jun 2011, 23:06
Gender: Male

Career break question?

Post by caoimhin »

Ok thanks.
In The Know
Posts: 50
Joined: 20 Jul 2015, 18:11
Gender: Male

Career break question?

Post by In The Know »

spiro wrote:No unfortunately there is a stipulation that you can't get another job as you are still technically employed by royal mail.
Really? I know of a postman that went over seas for 3 years, worked there and came back to his old job when it didn't work out. He was still employed by Royal Fail during that time.
caoimhin
Posts: 6
Joined: 26 Jun 2011, 23:06
Gender: Male

Career break question?

Post by caoimhin »

I can understand that Royal Mail 'wouldn't want' you to do other work while you're on the year break but what I'm wondering is is it actually illegal? Can you be dismissed for doing so?
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72727
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Career break question?

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

https://www.myroyalmail.com/sites/defau ... y%20A4.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Long-term care for a dependent: It can be hard balancing work and caring for a dependant who is
ill or unable to look after themselves. In these circumstances, you should speak to your manager, who
can help you to explore your options. These may include alternative shift patterns or a flexible working
arrangement. In longer term situations, unpaid leave of up to six months or a career break of up to two
years can be arranged.
https://www.myroyalmail.com/sites/defau ... y%20A4.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
working during career break 002.png
caoimhin wrote:I can understand that Royal Mail 'wouldn't want' you to do other work while you're on the year break but what I'm wondering is is it actually illegal? Can you be dismissed for doing so?
Yes. Just because it might not be illegal, it may though be a contractual issue and you can get dismissed if you break your contractual obligations with an employer.

However, don't take your advice from a forum if that's what you intend to do, check out the implications with an employment professional first.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
caoimhin
Posts: 6
Joined: 26 Jun 2011, 23:06
Gender: Male

Career break question?

Post by caoimhin »

Ok thanks.
spiro
Posts: 5
Joined: 17 Nov 2013, 16:13
Gender: Male

Career break question?

Post by spiro »

In The Know wrote:
spiro wrote:No unfortunately there is a stipulation that you can't get another job as you are still technically employed by royal mail.
Really? I know of a postman that went over seas for 3 years, worked there and came back to his old job when it didn't work out. He was still employed by Royal Fail during that time.

I remember reading it in the career break handout that my manager gave me. Having said that I don't know how they would find out, especially if you were in another country.
coxie
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1336
Joined: 09 Oct 2009, 14:57
Gender: Male

Career break question?

Post by coxie »

I always thought you're allowed to work as long as it's not in the UK
Caticus
Posts: 14
Joined: 11 Sep 2008, 00:13
Gender: Female

Career break question?

Post by Caticus »

So career breaks are still an option since the massive changes within Royal Mail of late? I've not been on here for some years, but am consideing taking some time off to travel for 6 months to a year and have a break from it all. I was just wondering if this was still an option, and if so how much notice do we have to give, and is it arranged through management or the union? I can only do this if I know I have a job to come home to. Any advice would be grately appreciated. :thumbup
Last edited by Caticus on 14 Feb 2016, 19:01, edited 1 time in total.
Darren Bent
Posts: 2150
Joined: 05 Oct 2007, 15:38
Gender: Male
Location: Pride Park, Derby, DE24 8XL

Career break question?

Post by Darren Bent »

Well if you are going to work aboard, don't tell Royal Mail ;) You might need to emigrate and see how you got on in your new life with family before quitting.
mickeymacca
Posts: 503
Joined: 21 Jun 2012, 18:03
Gender: Male

Career break question?

Post by mickeymacca »

Caticus wrote:So career breaks are still an option since the massive changes within Royal Mail of late? I've not been on here for some years, but am consideing taking some time off to travel for 6 months to a year and have a break from it all. I was just wondering if this was still an option, and if so how much notice do we have to give, and is it arranged through management or the union? I can only do this if I know I have a job to come home to. Any advice would be grately appreciated. :thumbup
Hi mate,

I came back from a year out last September. There is a guide to career breaks that you can look at that will give you more detailed information, but in short you need to give a minimum of 3 months notice, have a good service record, and return for a few weeks work for every year you take out (not applicable if you are only going for 6 months) you can take up to 2 years. Go for it mate I had a great time, and its a great benefit that not many take advantage of, any questions you want to ask then don't hesitate.

all the best
'Libraries gave us power'
wacko74
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1572
Joined: 04 Apr 2009, 20:35
Gender: Male

Career break question?

Post by wacko74 »

Mickey, did you have any issues returning from from your career break or were you able to walk straight back into your old role in your original unit?

As RM have a penchant for preferring their employees to be part time on temp contracts I'm a little concerned that as a full timer with a permanent contract they will try and fob me off and simply tell me they can't 're-accomodate' me at the end of my career break later this year.
Jiries
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 17
Joined: 10 Aug 2015, 08:30
Gender: Male

Career break question?

Post by Jiries »

Cancelled.
Last edited by Jiries on 04 May 2017, 11:25, edited 1 time in total.
mickeymacca
Posts: 503
Joined: 21 Jun 2012, 18:03
Gender: Male

Career break question?

Post by mickeymacca »

wacko74 wrote:Mickey, did you have any issues returning from from your career break or were you able to walk straight back into your old role in your original unit?

As RM have a penchant for preferring their employees to be part time on temp contracts I'm a little concerned that as a full timer with a permanent contract they will try and fob me off and simply tell me they can't 're-accomodate' me at the end of my career break later this year.
No I came back as a reserve but on the same hours/ days which I don't mind too much, I think you'll struggle to come back to the same duty. Even though my old job is still vacant (I covered days off as a floater) operational needs stae i am required to be a reserve, as I said that actually suits me.

hope that helps mate
'Libraries gave us power'