ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

DTDs

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
PostmanCat
Posts: 11
Joined: 01 Aug 2012, 12:55
Gender: Male

DTDs

Post by PostmanCat »

How do others deliver the DTDs each week?

Initially I was doing it over the 6 days, now I do it over 5, so no DTDs to deliver on a Saturday :nana

I know others at my office deliver most of theirs on a Monday and Tuesday to get them out of the way, I was going to start doing that...but it seems pointless when so many houses have no mail on those days, surely its better to deliver them (its only an extra piece of mail) on busier days when your going to most houses anyway?

Any thoughts?
Bahia Feliz
Posts: 1169
Joined: 22 Sep 2008, 21:04
Gender: Male

DTDs

Post by Bahia Feliz »

I do the same as you over 5 days.If there are only 1 or 2 lots any week I would have them all in by the Wednesday mostly.
Dorset Plodder
Posts: 4351
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
Gender: Male

DTDs

Post by Dorset Plodder »

Personally I throw off a Column 1st thing in the morning before anything else, in the Firms time. Normally on Tuesday you get to throw a bit more off as it's not so heavy, so I'll throw the last column (Saturdays) off as well.

I'll normally only take them where I'm going, apart from something like a block of flats were you're walking past all the doors anyway.

On Friday I'll clear everything that's left, so there's nothing to do Saturday. You'll see some weird and wonderful methods of doing them. We even had one old boy that threw off the following weeks Households and started delivering them on the Saturday! :shock: What ever suits you best.

The only thing I'd be wary of is Posties that take them out unsorted and say, "I'll do them as I go along" or the ones that say, "I'm going to take them home and sort them all out"! Always a bit suspicious. :cuppa
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
IloveMYredTROLLEY!
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1923
Joined: 02 Apr 2010, 06:54
Gender: Male

DTDs

Post by IloveMYredTROLLEY! »

I never understand why those who have no D2Ds left to prep on Saturdays, and/or no "cold calling" of just D2Ds to addresses on Saturdays, aren't expected to do more IPS/portering/parcel sorting on Saturdays.

Typically, they are ~10-60 minutes ahead (depending on numbers of D2D items per household) of those that still have to prep the Saturday quota to prep and deliver.

~15% prepped and delivered everyday except Tuesday, when ~25% is prepped and delivered.
k979aaa
Posts: 12578
Joined: 03 Sep 2007, 19:14
Gender: Male
Location: THE NORTH

DTDs

Post by k979aaa »

PostmanCat wrote:How do others deliver the DTDs each week?

Initially I was doing it over the 6 days, now I do it over 5, so no DTDs to deliver on a Saturday :nana

I know others at my office deliver most of theirs on a Monday and Tuesday to get them out of the way, I was going to start doing that...but it seems pointless when so many houses have no mail on those days, surely its better to deliver them (its only an extra piece of mail) on busier days when your going to most houses anyway?

Any thoughts?
Probably make you lapse more on Saturday then? :thumbdown
Dorset Plodder
Posts: 4351
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
Gender: Male

DTDs

Post by Dorset Plodder »

IloveMYredTROLLEY! wrote:I never understand why those who have no D2Ds left to prep on Saturdays, and/or no "cold calling" of just D2Ds to addresses on Saturdays, aren't expected to do more IPS/portering/parcel sorting on Saturdays.
.
We all work differently but in my Office we're allocated a set time (i.e 45 mins) to do on IPS/Parcels/Portering (each function being delegated to particular duties) and when that tim's up you can get on your frame. So if you've no Households to throw off that time can be used to throw off your mail. :thumbup

If there's loads of mail we may be called back up to do some more sorting. As 979 says if you're getting prepped quicker then you can lapse more. However non of our duties are really that short (going by comments on other posts) so most still don't have enough time to lapse, even with a head start! :thumbdown
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
meercat
Posts: 814
Joined: 21 Apr 2010, 16:15
Gender: Male

DTDs

Post by meercat »

IloveMYredTROLLEY! wrote:I never understand why those who have no D2Ds left to prep on Saturdays, and/or no "cold calling" of just D2Ds to addresses on Saturdays, aren't expected to do more IPS/portering/parcel sorting on Saturdays.

Typically, they are ~10-60 minutes ahead (depending on numbers of D2D items per household) of those that still have to prep the Saturday quota to prep and deliver.

~15% prepped and delivered everyday except Tuesday, when ~25% is prepped and delivered.
A few issues here, firstly how can you justify giving people more indoors work on a Saturday just because they have worked harder during the week than others to clear their d2d's? I can't see how that is fair. If they have done the d2d over 5 days instead of 6 they should not be penalized for it should they? Sure if they come back very early on Sat they should be sent out with more work as everyone should be finishing around the same time and no-one should be going home early while others are still out on delivery.

Second how on earth can not having approx 15% of your d2d to do on Sat morning put you 60mins ahead? That's ridiculous. 20mins max I would say. Doing just 15% an hour you would be saying to prep ALL your d2d into the frame is a 6hr job?

Also have never heard this 25% on a Tuesday thing I thought it was 17% a day everyday for D2D?

Thanks
IloveMYredTROLLEY!
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1923
Joined: 02 Apr 2010, 06:54
Gender: Male

DTDs

Post by IloveMYredTROLLEY! »

meercat wrote:
IloveMYredTROLLEY! wrote:I never understand why those who have no D2Ds left to prep on Saturdays, and/or no "cold calling" of just D2Ds to addresses on Saturdays, aren't expected to do more IPS/portering/parcel sorting on Saturdays.

Typically, they are ~10-60 minutes ahead (depending on numbers of D2D items per household) of those that still have to prep the Saturday quota to prep and deliver.

~15% prepped and delivered everyday except Tuesday, when ~25% is prepped and delivered.
A few issues here, firstly how can you justify giving people more indoors work on a Saturday just because they have worked harder during the week than others to clear their d2d's? I can't see how that is fair. If they have done the d2d over 5 days instead of 6 they should not be penalized for it should they? Sure if they come back very early on Sat they should be sent out with more work as everyone should be finishing around the same time and no-one should be going home early while others are still out on delivery.

Second how on earth can not having approx 15% of your d2d to do on Sat morning put you 60mins ahead? That's ridiculous. 20mins max I would say. Doing just 15% an hour you would be saying to prep ALL your d2d into the frame is a 6hr job?

Also have never heard this 25% on a Tuesday thing I thought it was 17% a day everyday for D2D?

Thanks
If someone has prepped all their D2D before they leave for delivery on Friday morning, they have spare capacity for extra work (indoor and/or outdoor) on the Saturday, on an otherwise equal workload and if they were not booking overtime Mon-Fri on that workload.

I wrote up to ~60 minutes ahead on a Saturday, because they have no D2D prep time indoors and they will likely have a reduced call rate outdoors, because they will not be "cold calling" with just D2D.

It sounds like you have never had 6 or 7 D2D to prep, nevermind get it as a regular feature. If you can prep ~15% with that many D2D in 20 minutes, do you wear a blue skin suit; red shorts and a red cape? :chuckle

Originally, our D2D control sheets suggested ~17% D2D prepped per day, but then overnight, they suddenly wanted to reduce D2D prep time everyday except Tuesday (where we were suddenly expected us to prep ~60% extra taken from the other days, on the basis that the indoor and outdoor workload was lower). It does sometimes come back to bite their ass, because it is a short working day and some of us make a point of it by refusing to do overtime to make a point of what a silly decision it was to vastly increase D2D workload on Tuesdays.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72727
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

DTDs

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

any method of delivering D2Ds is possible as the agreement allows the posties involved to manage the D2Ds as long as all due delivery are delivered. So if you leave 100% till Saturday or 0%, as long as you work to your hours, or as long as your manager requires (not including overtime) it doesn't matter.

Although if doing 100% on Saturday you'll have a fight on your hands if you attempt to cut off as you won't have "managed the D2Ds" in line with the agreement.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
IcanthelpthewayIam
Posts: 4067
Joined: 26 May 2009, 13:37
Gender: Male

DTDs

Post by IcanthelpthewayIam »

IloveMYredTROLLEY! wrote: It sounds like you have never had 6 or 7 D2D to prep, nevermind get it as a regular feature. If you can prep ~15% with that many D2D in 20 minutes, do you wear a blue skin suit; red shorts and a red cape? :chuckle
500 deliver points on a duty should take roughly 17 minutes to prep 7 dtd by the agreed figures
800 delivery points on a duty should take roughly 27 minutes to prep 7 dtd by the agreed figures

Average single duty is about 600 dp so 20 minutes to prep your daily 16% is not unreasonable in slightest nor requires a red cape to do
IloveMYredTROLLEY!
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1923
Joined: 02 Apr 2010, 06:54
Gender: Male

DTDs

Post by IloveMYredTROLLEY! »

zx135 wrote:
IloveMYredTROLLEY! wrote: It sounds like you have never had 6 or 7 D2D to prep, nevermind get it as a regular feature. If you can prep ~15% with that many D2D in 20 minutes, do you wear a blue skin suit; red shorts and a red cape? :chuckle
500 deliver points on a duty should take roughly 17 minutes to prep 7 dtd by the agreed figures
800 delivery points on a duty should take roughly 27 minutes to prep 7 dtd by the agreed figures

Average single duty is about 600 dp so 20 minutes to prep your daily 16% is not unreasonable in slightest nor requires a red cape to do
The "agreed figures" I know of are not worth the paper they are written on! It starts off reasonable enough, even quite generous, at ~9mins to prep a single D2D item into ~16% of the frame. But it quickly gets very silly and nothing like real world, no chance of meeting the targets, especially when dealing with 4+ (including time to retrieve them from storage boxes and put them away again afterwards).

I and nobody else in my section that often gets hammered with 5+ D2D have ever been questioned regarding D2D prep taking 40+ minutes on busier D2D weeks. And that is putting them in before any sequenced.

So from my own regular experience, anyone who can throw in 7 D2Ds into ~17% of a 600+ frame in 20 minutes is called Superman or Superwoman. I know I cannot, it is a "I cannot perform miracles" issue.
IcanthelpthewayIam
Posts: 4067
Joined: 26 May 2009, 13:37
Gender: Male

DTDs

Post by IcanthelpthewayIam »

That would be why there's a problem, you collate 7 dtd you don't prep them into the frame
nickinoneck
Posts: 110
Joined: 20 Aug 2010, 15:37
Gender: Male

DTDs

Post by nickinoneck »

TrueBlueTerrier wrote:any method of delivering D2Ds is possible as the agreement allows the posties involved to manage the D2Ds as long as all due delivery are delivered. So if you leave 100% till Saturday or 0%, as long as you work to your hours, or as long as your manager requires (not including overtime) it doesn't matter.

Although if doing 100% on Saturday you'll have a fight on your hands if you attempt to cut off as you won't have "managed the D2Ds" in line with the agreement.
TBT I have been banging my head against a brick wall with the DOMs in our office. I quote the 2010 Agreement which states what you have said above. We are asked....well ordered actually to do 1/6th a day, the only dispensation given is we can put both Monday and Saturdays in on a Monday. We are told this has been agreed by the Union and is there to protect jobs in the light of mail volumes supposedly plummeting. Our Union Rep tells us that what management says..goes! On occasions if we have put more than the allocated amount of D2Ds in the frame, the Ayatollah comes around and takes them out again!! So much for Working in Partnership bullcrap.
NewPostieUK
Posts: 2104
Joined: 06 Jan 2008, 21:38
Gender: Male
Location: SickAsAChipLand

DTDs

Post by NewPostieUK »

TrueBlueTerrier wrote:any method of delivering D2Ds is possible as the agreement allows the posties involved to manage the D2Ds as long as all due delivery are delivered. .
Unless it is someone else's job to prep them. You are at his mercy.
Chewster
Posts: 527
Joined: 15 Jan 2016, 12:34
Gender: Male

DTDs

Post by Chewster »

In my office we're told to do the d2d over 5 days. The rurals tend to just take where they're going but us town duties put in the set amount as per d2d plan (usually a column or column and a half a day). I will usually try to get them all done earlier in the week to save me some work at the tail end of the week. I've been told that DOMs don't really like that, but as someone stuck on a part time contract, I just get paid for what I do anyway (unless I somehow miraculously get a sub 4 hour day) so surely it makes no difference to ANYONE else.

Over Christmas (and then after new year as a lot of the old timers somehow managed to wangle holidays then, hmm) we were framing up all our d2d on a Monday and just taking them where we were going as it was so busy we were going pretty much everywhere anyway.