ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

driving...

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
chillout1571
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 82
Joined: 19 Aug 2015, 18:25
Gender: Male

driving...

Post by chillout1571 »

Hi guys, I've been at the RM for about 5 months now on an 18 hour contract. Everyone I started with has done their driving test. I still haven't, and there seems to be no indication I will be doing so anytime soon. I have been offered a permanent contract but I do stick to my original 4 days on (weds-sat) and I don't come in early. Though I do OT everyday as I'm on a long round. Should I be concerned they haven't trained me on driving? It's not like I'm desperate to do it, but I just thought it was odd.

Thanks
arnold cheshire
Posts: 5309
Joined: 14 Oct 2010, 21:28
Gender: Male
Location: england

driving...

Post by arnold cheshire »

chillout1571 wrote:Hi guys, I've been at the RM for about 5 months now on an 18 hour contract. Everyone I started with has done their driving test. I still haven't, and there seems to be no indication I will be doing so anytime soon. I have been offered a permanent contract but I do stick to my original 4 days on (weds-sat) and I don't come in early. Though I do OT everyday as I'm on a long round. Should I be concerned they haven't trained me on driving? It's not like I'm desperate to do it, but I just thought it was odd.

Thanks
don't worry sit in the passenger seat your not missing anything
tpost
Posts: 245
Joined: 26 May 2007, 13:33
Gender: Male
Location: Thames house

driving...

Post by tpost »

Driving has lots of extra responsibilities, avoid it if you can.
OscarPanda
Posts: 23
Joined: 28 Nov 2012, 14:35
Gender: Female

driving...

Post by OscarPanda »

Well, I've been working for RM as 'Postman/woman with Driving' for over THREE years and I have never done a driving assessment. I did mention it a few times during the first year, but I've given up now! :arrrghhh

And I drive (on my own), doing two different rural routes....oh well!
iHateD2Ds
Posts: 548
Joined: 16 Apr 2008, 16:33

driving...

Post by iHateD2Ds »

tpost wrote:Driving has lots of extra responsibilities, avoid it if you can.
Very true...
Iam walker/ driver and would love to stop driving for Royal Mail.
Has anyone been successful in coming off driving?
greengiant
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1268
Joined: 24 Mar 2014, 19:40
Gender: Male

driving...

Post by greengiant »

It took RM almost a year to get around to arranging driving assessment for me :roll:
bustedflush
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1493
Joined: 16 Feb 2013, 11:19
Gender: Male

driving...

Post by bustedflush »

Trust me you are FAR better-off walking than driving. Being a walker means NO worrying about specials, filling in log-books, signing out the van and getting b*llockings if there is so much as an elastic band dropped in it or a scratch you get blamed for. You get dropped-off and picked-up and handed your bag, no pressure.
Member 34
Posts: 58
Joined: 28 Nov 2009, 21:15
Gender: Male

driving...

Post by Member 34 »

bustedflush wrote:Trust me you are FAR better-off wanking than driving.
It's a fair point. But make sure you don't do both at the same time. :shock:
aposter
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 205
Joined: 23 Feb 2013, 16:21
Gender: Male

driving...

Post by aposter »

Member 34 wrote:
bustedflush wrote:Trust me you are FAR better-off wanking than driving.
It's a fair point. But make sure you don't do both at the same time. :shock:
Or get caught on home cctv, exciting as male delivery is...........
borgpicard
Posts: 486
Joined: 05 May 2011, 22:45
Gender: Male

driving...

Post by borgpicard »

To me its bollox, ive got a car licence, psv and lgv, and if we are lucky we are told how to walk up and down stairs !! ive only been doing that for 50 odd years, but the idiot managers who are trying to justify their jobs, think i need to know this ? WTF. so its a manager justifying its job.
Fishyfingers
Posts: 162
Joined: 05 Jan 2007, 22:04
Location: Highland

driving...

Post by Fishyfingers »

iHateD2Ds wrote:
tpost wrote:Driving has lots of extra responsibilities, avoid it if you can.
Very true...
Iam walker/ driver and would love to stop driving for Royal Mail.
Has anyone been successful in coming off driving?
I would like to know too , i have my own walking round but get bumped onto a driving one quite regularly cos we are so stuck for bodies .
Surreypostie
Posts: 999
Joined: 04 Aug 2013, 21:05
Gender: Male

driving...

Post by Surreypostie »

Don't quote me on this but I believe, should the manager send you out driving with no changeover and you wreck the van his arse is on the line. The test is to satisfy RM you are not a liability on the road.
ziggy
Posts: 114
Joined: 10 Jul 2007, 14:26
Gender: Male
Location: Back o Beyond

driving...

Post by ziggy »

bustedflush wrote:Trust me you are FAR better-off wanking than driving. Being a walker means NO worrying about specials, filling in log-books, signing out the van and getting b*llockings if there is so much as an elastic band dropped in it or a scratch you get blamed for. You get dropped-off and picked-up and handed your bag, no pressure.

Not in our office, the only thing I don't do as a walker is fill out n the log book. Driver insists I go everywhere with him. We do our individual loops then he insists specials, parcels etc are done together. I think he has issues lol
Ziggy
User avatar
POSTMAN
SITE ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 32794
Joined: 07 Aug 2006, 03:19
Gender: Male

driving...

Post by POSTMAN »

As part of our Delivery modernisation, in response to the growing number of parcels that we need to deliver, we are introducing additional vehicles (CDVs) to our fleet and phasing out previous cycle and foot based Delivery routes. As a result of this we are creating a number of new RM drivers as colleagues convert to a vehicle based delivery. In the past any new RM driver would have undergone changeover training, typically 45 minutes in duration, , but we have since September 2012 now changed this so that all new drivers are required to undergo full Primary Driver Training with a duration of 3.5 hours and a mix of theory and practical driving time. This is another significant investment in our people geared to contributing towards our overall drive to continuously drive down accidents and associated impacts on our people of equipment.
You should not be driving or be forced to drive if you have not had the above!
From Justsayit.
I Wrote-During Covid-Which is still relevant now
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
bustedflush
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1493
Joined: 16 Feb 2013, 11:19
Gender: Male

driving...

Post by bustedflush »

aposter wrote:
Member 34 wrote:
bustedflush wrote:Trust me you are FAR better-off wanking than driving.
It's a fair point. But make sure you don't do both at the same time. :shock:
Or get caught on home cctv, exciting as male delivery is...........
:oops: :oops: :oops:

I just spotted that, apologies. Nothing Freudian there, genuine typo. :shock: