ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
driving...
-
chillout1571
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 82
- Joined: 19 Aug 2015, 18:25
- Gender: Male
driving...
Hi guys, I've been at the RM for about 5 months now on an 18 hour contract. Everyone I started with has done their driving test. I still haven't, and there seems to be no indication I will be doing so anytime soon. I have been offered a permanent contract but I do stick to my original 4 days on (weds-sat) and I don't come in early. Though I do OT everyday as I'm on a long round. Should I be concerned they haven't trained me on driving? It's not like I'm desperate to do it, but I just thought it was odd.
Thanks
Thanks
-
arnold cheshire
- Posts: 5309
- Joined: 14 Oct 2010, 21:28
- Gender: Male
- Location: england
driving...
don't worry sit in the passenger seat your not missing anythingchillout1571 wrote:Hi guys, I've been at the RM for about 5 months now on an 18 hour contract. Everyone I started with has done their driving test. I still haven't, and there seems to be no indication I will be doing so anytime soon. I have been offered a permanent contract but I do stick to my original 4 days on (weds-sat) and I don't come in early. Though I do OT everyday as I'm on a long round. Should I be concerned they haven't trained me on driving? It's not like I'm desperate to do it, but I just thought it was odd.
Thanks
-
tpost
- Posts: 245
- Joined: 26 May 2007, 13:33
- Gender: Male
- Location: Thames house
driving...
Driving has lots of extra responsibilities, avoid it if you can.
-
OscarPanda
- Posts: 23
- Joined: 28 Nov 2012, 14:35
- Gender: Female
driving...
Well, I've been working for RM as 'Postman/woman with Driving' for over THREE years and I have never done a driving assessment. I did mention it a few times during the first year, but I've given up now!
And I drive (on my own), doing two different rural routes....oh well!
And I drive (on my own), doing two different rural routes....oh well!
-
iHateD2Ds
- Posts: 548
- Joined: 16 Apr 2008, 16:33
driving...
Very true...tpost wrote:Driving has lots of extra responsibilities, avoid it if you can.
Iam walker/ driver and would love to stop driving for Royal Mail.
Has anyone been successful in coming off driving?
-
greengiant
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1268
- Joined: 24 Mar 2014, 19:40
- Gender: Male
driving...
It took RM almost a year to get around to arranging driving assessment for me 
-
bustedflush
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1493
- Joined: 16 Feb 2013, 11:19
- Gender: Male
driving...
Trust me you are FAR better-off walking than driving. Being a walker means NO worrying about specials, filling in log-books, signing out the van and getting b*llockings if there is so much as an elastic band dropped in it or a scratch you get blamed for. You get dropped-off and picked-up and handed your bag, no pressure.
-
Member 34
- Posts: 58
- Joined: 28 Nov 2009, 21:15
- Gender: Male
driving...
It's a fair point. But make sure you don't do both at the same time.bustedflush wrote:Trust me you are FAR better-off wanking than driving.
-
aposter
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 205
- Joined: 23 Feb 2013, 16:21
- Gender: Male
driving...
Or get caught on home cctv, exciting as male delivery is...........Member 34 wrote:It's a fair point. But make sure you don't do both at the same time.bustedflush wrote:Trust me you are FAR better-off wanking than driving.
-
borgpicard
- Posts: 486
- Joined: 05 May 2011, 22:45
- Gender: Male
driving...
To me its bollox, ive got a car licence, psv and lgv, and if we are lucky we are told how to walk up and down stairs !! ive only been doing that for 50 odd years, but the idiot managers who are trying to justify their jobs, think i need to know this ? WTF. so its a manager justifying its job.
-
Fishyfingers
- Posts: 162
- Joined: 05 Jan 2007, 22:04
- Location: Highland
driving...
I would like to know too , i have my own walking round but get bumped onto a driving one quite regularly cos we are so stuck for bodies .iHateD2Ds wrote:Very true...tpost wrote:Driving has lots of extra responsibilities, avoid it if you can.
Iam walker/ driver and would love to stop driving for Royal Mail.
Has anyone been successful in coming off driving?
-
Surreypostie
- Posts: 999
- Joined: 04 Aug 2013, 21:05
- Gender: Male
driving...
Don't quote me on this but I believe, should the manager send you out driving with no changeover and you wreck the van his arse is on the line. The test is to satisfy RM you are not a liability on the road.
-
ziggy
- Posts: 114
- Joined: 10 Jul 2007, 14:26
- Gender: Male
- Location: Back o Beyond
driving...
bustedflush wrote:Trust me you are FAR better-off wanking than driving. Being a walker means NO worrying about specials, filling in log-books, signing out the van and getting b*llockings if there is so much as an elastic band dropped in it or a scratch you get blamed for. You get dropped-off and picked-up and handed your bag, no pressure.
Not in our office, the only thing I don't do as a walker is fill out n the log book. Driver insists I go everywhere with him. We do our individual loops then he insists specials, parcels etc are done together. I think he has issues lol
Ziggy
-
POSTMAN
- SITE ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 32794
- Joined: 07 Aug 2006, 03:19
- Gender: Male
driving...
You should not be driving or be forced to drive if you have not had the above!As part of our Delivery modernisation, in response to the growing number of parcels that we need to deliver, we are introducing additional vehicles (CDVs) to our fleet and phasing out previous cycle and foot based Delivery routes. As a result of this we are creating a number of new RM drivers as colleagues convert to a vehicle based delivery. In the past any new RM driver would have undergone changeover training, typically 45 minutes in duration, , but we have since September 2012 now changed this so that all new drivers are required to undergo full Primary Driver Training with a duration of 3.5 hours and a mix of theory and practical driving time. This is another significant investment in our people geared to contributing towards our overall drive to continuously drive down accidents and associated impacts on our people of equipment.
From Justsayit.
I Wrote-During Covid-Which is still relevant now
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
-
bustedflush
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1493
- Joined: 16 Feb 2013, 11:19
- Gender: Male
driving...
aposter wrote:Or get caught on home cctv, exciting as male delivery is...........Member 34 wrote:It's a fair point. But make sure you don't do both at the same time.bustedflush wrote:Trust me you are FAR better-off wanking than driving.
I just spotted that, apologies. Nothing Freudian there, genuine typo.