ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

First time Sick leave

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
postman2015
Posts: 38
Joined: 26 Dec 2014, 17:46
Gender: Male

First time Sick leave

Post by postman2015 »

Hi,


I am on sick leave for 4 days due to a back pain. I was advised by the doctor that if the pain does not go away within 4-5 days he will redirect me to a psychotherapy course.
This is my 3rd year in RM and my first sick absence from work. In case if I have to go for a psychotherapy course I will be absent from work for more than 7 days.
I really would like to resume work asap but in the worst case scenario where I cannot recover before 7 days will there be any issues with my contract. (I'm on PT 25 hours contract.)

I'm really worried if they terminate my contract with RM due to my sickness and absence from work. Can they really terminate my contract ?
Will i be paid for the days i was absent from work?

Cheers
richiebroon
Posts: 58
Joined: 21 Oct 2014, 18:48
Gender: Male

First time Sick leave

Post by richiebroon »

I think if you have a continuous period of 2 weeks or more absence or 4 separate instances of absence in a year you trigger a stage one attendance conduct, which is nothing don't even worry about it.

As for getting paid, you're on full sick pay after a year so don't worry about that either!

And if you are signed off by your doctor don't let them pressure you into going back to work early!!! Only go back when you're fit!
postman2015
Posts: 38
Joined: 26 Dec 2014, 17:46
Gender: Male

First time Sick leave

Post by postman2015 »

Many thanks for the reply
Dorset Plodder
Posts: 4351
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
Gender: Male

First time Sick leave

Post by Dorset Plodder »

Cannot stress RBs comment too strongly. DOMs will nearly always try and get you back to work before you feel fit enough. Don't fall for it, I recently went back a bit too early and the injury just got aggravated and didn't heal properly. :sad:

Most Posties have a pretty good work ethic, otherwise we'd be scrounging on the Dole, but Royal Mail is not some Small Family Owned firm that looks after it's small staff. They're a massive business and one of the largest employers in the UK. They can survive if you take some time off sick. Don't worry about letting your colleagues down either as I'm sure they'd take the time of sick if it was them? :cuppa
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
Surreypostie
Posts: 999
Joined: 04 Aug 2013, 21:05
Gender: Male

First time Sick leave

Post by Surreypostie »

Can I ask and I'm seriously not taking the P***, what good would psychotherapy do for back pain? I thought that was for mental health, emotional problems, I presume that is a typo? Do you mean physiotherapy?
richiebroon
Posts: 58
Joined: 21 Oct 2014, 18:48
Gender: Male

First time Sick leave

Post by richiebroon »

Surreypostie wrote:Can I ask and I'm seriously not taking the P***, what good would psychotherapy do for back pain? I thought that was for mental health, emotional problems, I presume that is a typo? Do you mean physiotherapy?
I'm guessing he meant physiotherapy