ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Not knowing your hours and where you work

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
justdeno
Posts: 362
Joined: 27 Jan 2012, 16:05
Gender: Female

Not knowing your hours and where you work

Post by justdeno »

Sorry but may be a silly question. I transferred to another office last year. For the last few months I do not know where I am working, my days off or even my start hours. I am full time so 39hrs, sometimes I start really early, then late the next day. My other half says the law stated you should have 3 weeks notice. I have an ongoing health issue, so making appointments with specialists is nigh on impossible.
Creditshampoo
Posts: 1189
Joined: 06 Oct 2014, 19:48
Gender: Male

Not knowing your hours and where you work

Post by Creditshampoo »

Do you claim travel from the original office?
justdeno
Posts: 362
Joined: 27 Jan 2012, 16:05
Gender: Female

Not knowing your hours and where you work

Post by justdeno »

I have, waiting for money. My insurance runs out this month, will stop travel to work.
postslippete
Posts: 4194
Joined: 14 Jul 2014, 16:27
Gender: Male

Not knowing your hours and where you work

Post by postslippete »

Are you a spare?


Regardless, in the Way Forward Agreement you should know at least a week in advance what your shift is. If your office deviates from this then get your rep involved and lodge a grievance against your line manager. That might stop them from messing you about in future because managers do not like grievances.
On the face of it, shareholder value is the dumbest idea in the world.
Dorset Plodder
Posts: 4351
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
Gender: Male

Not knowing your hours and where you work

Post by Dorset Plodder »

Well firstly congratulations on managing to get a Transfer in the modern Royal Mail and a 39 Hour Contract .....They obviously wanted you! :Applause

I expect it's a case of "Try it on with the Newbie"! :no no Managers will get away with what you let them get away with. As suggested I would ask the DOM to give you a forecast for your next weeks duties. That's only reasonable. At a minimum I might accept 24 hours notice if there's a flap on. Console yourself that you've got that 39 hour contract and accept that you'll need to do any work RM ask you to do within those hours. :hmmmm

If the situation doesn't improve I'm sure you'll DOM will change his tune when you tell him you won't be working your day off and will be finishing on time, every day! :thumbup
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)