ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
change from 1/6 to 1/4
-
beasty890
- Posts: 2
- Joined: 09 Jun 2014, 22:18
- Gender: Male
change from 1/6 to 1/4
are any other offices changing from 1/6 to 1/4 just so they can get more saturdays off, our office had a preliminary vote on Tuesday and the majority apparently seemed to want it ( i was off that day so i never got my vote in it). if it goes ahead it mean that we would have to work every wednesday/thursday from now on. the rotation would be mon/tue/fri/sat. I personally like having wed/thu off, which are normally the busy days. i will speak to my union rep about this but was just wondering if this is allowed to happen or what action i can take
-
gary1975
- Posts: 482
- Joined: 16 Apr 2011, 13:41
- Gender: Male
change from 1/6 to 1/4
My rotation is monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Saturday, no Thursday or Fridays off, sat comes round pretty quickly
-
arnold cheshire
- Posts: 5309
- Joined: 14 Oct 2010, 21:28
- Gender: Male
- Location: england
change from 1/6 to 1/4
We have 3in12 sats off not evenly spaced
-
Ozzvaldo
- Posts: 476
- Joined: 15 Jul 2012, 20:35
- Gender: Female
change from 1/6 to 1/4
We have had the system being proposed for your office for several years (since P&L transformation) and opinion is divided with respect to having more Saturdays off and sacrificing Wednesdays and Thursdays. Most people with school aged children and those who participate or watch sport seem to prefer the extra Saturdays, while there are a number who would prefer to have a day off in the middle of the week every now and then.
This only affects FT staff in my unit though, as the duty structure is organised so that PT staff work a 4 day week and so have regular Saturdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays off.
Ironically, my DOM has submitted a plan to our union rep which involves the whole office reverting to 1/6 Saturdays off, mainly because the management team are finding it too difficult to plan staffing requirements under our present system.
This only affects FT staff in my unit though, as the duty structure is organised so that PT staff work a 4 day week and so have regular Saturdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays off.
Ironically, my DOM has submitted a plan to our union rep which involves the whole office reverting to 1/6 Saturdays off, mainly because the management team are finding it too difficult to plan staffing requirements under our present system.
-
sophie97
- Posts: 169
- Joined: 17 Jul 2013, 15:10
- Gender: Female
change from 1/6 to 1/4
have not had a Saturday off in about 4 months
-
ozcabs
- Posts: 67
- Joined: 09 Feb 2016, 14:03
- Gender: Male
change from 1/6 to 1/4
Had this for years one sat off in four but I hate it
-
greengiant
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1268
- Joined: 24 Mar 2014, 19:40
- Gender: Male
change from 1/6 to 1/4
What's a saturday off? I've had one off a few months ago, but never had it off since.
.
Only time I tend to get them is when I'm on a weeks annual leave.
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72727
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
change from 1/6 to 1/4
10 years for me 
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
Spottyjohn
- Posts: 10
- Joined: 19 Dec 2015, 22:39
- Gender: Male
change from 1/6 to 1/4
Well, as one of the new 20 hr Weds thru Sat P/T's
and obviously doing closer to 40 hrs over 5 days, my WDO
Although constantly moving (??????) and actual day off moving too
It (oddly) hasn't fallen on a Saturday yet. Strange that.
Now I'm not a gambling man but if I were I'd have a shilling on
Saturday never happening........
and obviously doing closer to 40 hrs over 5 days, my WDO
Although constantly moving (??????) and actual day off moving too
It (oddly) hasn't fallen on a Saturday yet. Strange that.
Now I'm not a gambling man but if I were I'd have a shilling on
Saturday never happening........
-
Caniel
- Posts: 623
- Joined: 03 Jul 2009, 18:25
- Gender: Female
- Location: The Batcave
change from 1/6 to 1/4
Had this for a couple of years, I love it having 1 in 4 Saturday off. It's not ideal for everyone tho, finishing later especially on a Saturday.
-
Dorset Plodder
- Posts: 4351
- Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
- Gender: Male
change from 1/6 to 1/4
You can't have your cake & eat it Beasty. If Saturday's a day of you're obviously not going to get a busy Wednesday off!beasty890 wrote: I personally like having wed/thu off, which are normally the busy days. i will speak to my union rep about this but was just wondering if this is allowed to happen or what action i can take
TBH I'm surprised the selfish bastards in my office didn't just vote in the 1 in 4 and stuff anyone that lost their job!
We now have a high proportion of FT Duties so hopefully no PTers would get stuffed/sacked! The plus side is it's not so easy to pressurise FT Posties , blackmailing them by threatening their Overtime!
As for what action you can take .... I suggest you're doing the right thing...talk to the Rep. And it's the result of a democratic vote. If you weren't there I'd have thought they'd have waited until everyone had their say! But you know what Royal Mail's like!
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
-
Spartacus
- Posts: 533
- Joined: 23 Jun 2007, 16:41
- Location: Wales
change from 1/6 to 1/4
beasty890 wrote:are any other offices changing from 1/6 to 1/4 just so they can get more saturdays off, our office had a preliminary vote on Tuesday and the majority apparently seemed to want it ( i was off that day so i never got my vote in it). if it goes ahead it mean that we would have to work every wednesday/thursday from now on. the rotation would be mon/tue/fri/sat. I personally like having wed/thu off, which are normally the busy days. i will speak to my union rep about this but was just wondering if this is allowed to happen or what action i can take
It doesn't have to be mon/tue/fri/sat, it can be any combination, mon/wed/fri/sat, mon/thu/fri/sat, as long as you get the Saturdays and mondays off. I'd argue for a mon/weds/thu/sat rotation so you miss the hefty days once in a while.
Delivery
Resistance is fertile
Resistance is fertile
-
Burghboy
- Posts: 224
- Joined: 21 Oct 2013, 09:19
- Gender: Male
change from 1/6 to 1/4
We had 30 senior guys on 1/3 rest on 1/4 and RM wanted us to all go back to 1/6, we voted 1/4 for whole office which seems fair change at next revision which was supposed to be in Jan 
-
Dorset Plodder
- Posts: 4351
- Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
- Gender: Male
change from 1/6 to 1/4
The way the business is going I think more and more Posties are looking forward to a Saturday off....like a light at the end of a tunnel! So many social functions happen at the weekend. It would be nice to be rewarded for your hard work by being able to get to Family Celebrations or Special Occasions. 
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)