ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Tips for surviving a day out?

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
wa4jim
Posts: 15
Joined: 09 Feb 2016, 20:40
Gender: Male

Tips for surviving a day out?

Post by wa4jim »

I started at New Year on a 20-hour contract and, after being moved from pillar to post, for the time being I've ended up on a solo duty made up of odds and ends that are spread about. First, I started with a van but now, for some reason, there's a shortage of vans so I have to be ferried about. At my first drop today both bags on my golf trolley were full to bursting and it was quite heavy to drag up the hills and, in one case, steps. Then I phone up and someone usually picks me up with more mail and we drive straight to my second drop, and the process repeats. But today we had to deliver some packets on the way. I didn't get picked up again until 16:45, by which time the sun had gone down and I was cold, hungry and dehydrated.

I carry a few high energy bars bars in my pockets but there's no space for much else, let alone any spare clothing. There are no shops anywhere near my route. Any tips for making things easier?
NewPostieUK
Posts: 2104
Joined: 06 Jan 2008, 21:38
Gender: Male
Location: SickAsAChipLand

Tips for surviving a day out?

Post by NewPostieUK »

Go to see your manager. Tell him exactly what happened. Ask for his phone number and tell him next time it happens you'll ring him at your finishing time and he can send someone out to pick you up and finish your delivery.
woopesh
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 230
Joined: 30 Dec 2015, 22:02
Gender: Male

Tips for surviving a day out?

Post by woopesh »

wa4jim wrote:I started at New Year on a 20-hour contract and, after being moved from pillar to post, for the time being I've ended up on a solo duty made up of odds and ends that are spread about. First, I started with a van but now, for some reason, there's a shortage of vans so I have to be ferried about. At my first drop today both bags on my golf trolley were full to bursting and it was quite heavy to drag up the hills and, in one case, steps. Then I phone up and someone usually picks me up with more mail and we drive straight to my second drop, and the process repeats. But today we had to deliver some packets on the way. I didn't get picked up again until 16:45, by which time the sun had gone down and I was cold, hungry and dehydrated.

I carry a few high energy bars bars in my pockets but there's no space for much else, let alone any spare clothing. There are no shops anywhere near my route. Any tips for making things easier?
I had the same problem as you, so I started to prepare like I would for a long distance run. You need rest, water and carbs. Try going to a hiking or running shop and buy a water bladder that you can wear like a backpack if you don't have space to carry a water bottle. Then sit down for 5 mins every 2 hours or so, and drink and eat something. Banana, cereal bars, meal replacement bars. All are good. Also carb load in the mornings. Toast, banana's, porridge etc. I feel devastated, like my legs are made of lead if I keep going dehydrated, cold and hungry. Its a horrible feeling.

I also wear my hiking gear (apparently I'm too new to "qualify" for a uniform aside from a hi viz vest)... base layer, mid and top waterproof layer. Wearing all of them you should be comfortable sitting around. When you walk, you can take the mid layer off as you heat up and put it back on if you feel cold.

Hope this helps. Look after yourself out there.
woopesh
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 230
Joined: 30 Dec 2015, 22:02
Gender: Male

Tips for surviving a day out?

Post by woopesh »

Having said that, everyone seems to have a different way. My trainer seemed to require nothing other than roll ups. He said he skipped breakfast apart from a coffee and didn't eat or drink anything until his round was over. He never took a break. He was fast.
bogstandard
Posts: 1074
Joined: 08 Nov 2007, 06:16

Tips for surviving a day out?

Post by bogstandard »

it would appear the tip is take up hiking.

what you've described is not on my friend. If, and it does not seem to be an if, you do not have the time to perform the tasks in front of you prepare to head back to the office so you can finish on time and at your parent office.
Confused... You won't be, after the next episode of. SOAP
bustedflush
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1493
Joined: 16 Feb 2013, 11:19
Gender: Male

Tips for surviving a day out?

Post by bustedflush »

woopesh wrote:Having said that, everyone seems to have a different way. My trainer seemed to require nothing other than roll ups. He said he skipped breakfast apart from a coffee and didn't eat or drink anything until his round was over. He never took a break. He was fast.
Ah, yes! I remember you now...
woopesh
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 230
Joined: 30 Dec 2015, 22:02
Gender: Male

Tips for surviving a day out?

Post by woopesh »

I'm trying to figure out how to get the Royal Mail Uniform to match a hiking outfit.

For most conditions apart from blazing hot days in the summer, the below will work well.

1) Baselayer
It looks like Royal Mail don't have a base layer. I use a Merino Wool Icebreaker tops. These are brilliant, much less smelly than polyester equivalents. Anything other than cotton would work well. The material needs to wick sweat away from the body.

2) Mid Layer.
Royal Mail Fleece.

3) Top / Shell layer.
Class 2 All Weather Top or Cagoule, depending on how likely it is to piss down with rain.

Combat trousers or waterproof trousers for the legs.

This will work for three out of four seasons in the UK... well at least if the gear is upto scratch.

However if you are like my trainer, all you would ever need is the Royal Mail blue shirt. Once we went out, it was cold enough to condense your breath, yet that is all he wore. I asked him if he was cold, but he said he would warm up on his way round and just smoked another rolly.
Last edited by woopesh on 13 Feb 2016, 20:32, edited 1 time in total.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72727
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Tips for surviving a day out?

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

You know when it's cold, the senior posties put their blue fleece on.

Image
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
eggraidonmojo
Posts: 120
Joined: 06 Nov 2012, 16:44
Gender: Male

Tips for surviving a day out?

Post by eggraidonmojo »

TrueBlueTerrier wrote:You know when it's cold, the senior posties put their blue fleece on.
great picture - that made me smile. love the short shorts.
woopesh
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 230
Joined: 30 Dec 2015, 22:02
Gender: Male

Tips for surviving a day out?

Post by woopesh »

TrueBlueTerrier wrote:You know when it's cold, the senior posties put their blue fleece on.

Image
Lol