ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Waterproof coat - Do they actually get tested?

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Krafty
Posts: 88
Joined: 13 Sep 2013, 14:27
Gender: Male

Waterproof coat - Do they actually get tested?

Post by Krafty »

Recently had a new waterproof coat (short one) after the one I've been wearing for a number of years (the longer one) was on it's last legs.

I ask because the cords to tie the hood are too short.
I know they stretch, and once I have eventually made a knot, it's too tight round your face.
DB1100
Posts: 1976
Joined: 10 Sep 2007, 14:30

Waterproof coat - Do they actually get tested?

Post by DB1100 »

Yes,they are rigorously tested by office workers who found them ideal for getting from their cars to the office.
For we were soldiers once,and young
wannabeek
Posts: 996
Joined: 27 Apr 2011, 00:49
Gender: Male

Waterproof coat - Do they actually get tested?

Post by wannabeek »

Yes, and it kept the chill off them for the 90 seconds required to perform that function. Therefore they must surely be adequate for 5 hrs on delivery.

The coat is absurd. I bought my own a few years back. Expensive but worth the outlay in my opinion as the RM issue is not fit for purpose.
Pharox
Posts: 151
Joined: 23 Jun 2011, 16:18
Gender: Male

Waterproof coat - Do they actually get tested?

Post by Pharox »

What coat did you get? Looking to get one myself as the RM 'stormproof' coat is not really that stormproof
DB1100
Posts: 1976
Joined: 10 Sep 2007, 14:30

Waterproof coat - Do they actually get tested?

Post by DB1100 »

Pharox wrote:What coat did you get? Looking to get one myself as the RM 'stormproof' coat is not really that stormproof
I got a decent one from "Mountain Warehouse" quite cheap,100% waterproof but you do get a bit of condensation inside but not enough to mither about.
For we were soldiers once,and young
wannabeek
Posts: 996
Joined: 27 Apr 2011, 00:49
Gender: Male

Waterproof coat - Do they actually get tested?

Post by wannabeek »

Sorry I'm going to be lazy cos tea is nearly ready and just post a link to my wishlist, the coat I got is on there:

http://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/communit ... =1&t=72297
97gaz
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1023
Joined: 17 Dec 2008, 10:15
Gender: Male

Waterproof coat - Do they actually get tested?

Post by 97gaz »

A
Last edited by 97gaz on 15 Dec 2019, 16:07, edited 1 time in total.
Pharox
Posts: 151
Joined: 23 Jun 2011, 16:18
Gender: Male

Waterproof coat - Do they actually get tested?

Post by Pharox »

wannabeek wrote:Sorry I'm going to be lazy cos tea is nearly ready and just post a link to my wishlist, the coat I got is on there:

http://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/communit ... =1&t=72297
That's great, thanks :)
dtyssmshdchrb
Posts: 51
Joined: 27 Oct 2010, 14:55
Gender: Male

Waterproof coat - Do they actually get tested?

Post by dtyssmshdchrb »

97gaz wrote:Are you sure it's supposed to be tied? The shorty coat I have has clamps on the cords. Slide them down until the hood is tight enough.
And marvel at the design feature that lets you be whipped in the face by them any time the wind picks up! :hmmmm
meercat
Posts: 814
Joined: 21 Apr 2010, 16:15
Gender: Male

Waterproof coat - Do they actually get tested?

Post by meercat »

Silly question really. Royal Mail has been in operation for hundreds of years and has been sending people out in all weathers during that time. So OFCOURSE all outdoor issue weather-proofs are rigorously tested. Then tested again and again. Each time the uniform fails to keep water out for more than a few minutes....but that doesn't stop the testing.
datasaint
Posts: 1541
Joined: 22 Sep 2008, 17:19
Gender: Male

Waterproof coat - Do they actually get tested?

Post by datasaint »

If you wash the RM Stormproof with Nikwax Techwash and treat it with Nikwax spray it's as waterproof as anything else. The only bad thing about it is the tiny hood which seems to be size small regardless of what size your jacket is.

People who don't wash their waterproofs the grime on the surface allows the water to sit on the fabric and soak through, instead of running off like it should.
Krafty
Posts: 88
Joined: 13 Sep 2013, 14:27
Gender: Male

Waterproof coat - Do they actually get tested?

Post by Krafty »

97gaz wrote:Are you sure it's supposed to be tied? The shorty coat I have has clamps on the cords. Slide them down until the hood is tight enough.
Perhaps they aren't supposed to be tied, but I couldn't work out what to do with them!
I can't work out what you are supposed to do with the cords :oops:
Krafty
Posts: 88
Joined: 13 Sep 2013, 14:27
Gender: Male

Waterproof coat - Do they actually get tested?

Post by Krafty »

Pharox wrote:What coat did you get? Looking to get one myself as the RM 'stormproof' coat is not really that stormproof
The short thick waterproof.
The one it is replacing is longer, which I thought was better.
peshwaarinaan
Posts: 381
Joined: 29 May 2015, 11:35
Gender: Female

Waterproof coat - Do they actually get tested?

Post by peshwaarinaan »

dtyssmshdchrb wrote:
97gaz wrote:Are you sure it's supposed to be tied? The shorty coat I have has clamps on the cords. Slide them down until the hood is tight enough.
And marvel at the design feature that lets you be whipped in the face by them any time the wind picks up! :hmmmm
Ooh that happens to me and it hurts like hell! I only got my coat in July and it's not waterproof. I have been drenched down to my underwear on several occasions. It's rubbish.
wannabeek
Posts: 996
Joined: 27 Apr 2011, 00:49
Gender: Male

Waterproof coat - Do they actually get tested?

Post by wannabeek »

norm wrote:If you wash the RM Stormproof with Nikwax Techwash and treat it with Nikwax spray it's as waterproof as anything else. The only bad thing about it is the tiny hood which seems to be size small regardless of what size your jacket is.

People who don't wash their waterproofs the grime on the surface allows the water to sit on the fabric and soak through, instead of running off like it should.
If you use those products on any coat it will make it become waterproof. The point is that the RM stormproof is not waterproof when brand new. Yours is now only because you have waterproofed it yourself.

I used those products to waterproof a RM fleece once, which was quite useful until I got a proper waterproof coat.