ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

"Reason for Cancellation: Unacceptable Occupation"

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
troubadour2012en
Posts: 33
Joined: 14 Dec 2014, 13:40
Gender: Male

"Reason for Cancellation: Unacceptable Occupation"

Post by troubadour2012en »

Hi. I just moved home few days ago, and I though I should ring my car insurance company (RICB) to let them know my new address. All good, untill they asked me about other changes. When they heard about my new occupation (Royal Mail worker) they offered me such a big prise (£200 monthly instalments, plus a £500 deposit, etc., and untill now I paid no more than £50 monthly!) or the alternative to cancel the policy. I canceled it, and in few minutes I received an email with "Reason for Cancellation: Unacceptable Occupation". And they got me 7 days to find another insurance company...

Now I'm wondering what should I do...It's hard to believe that all of us are paying such big money for car insurance just because of being postal workers. If anyone has any advice for me, it would be much appreciated! Thank you very much indeed! Peter.
Surreypostie
Posts: 999
Joined: 04 Aug 2013, 21:05
Gender: Male

"Reason for Cancellation: Unacceptable Occupation"

Post by Surreypostie »

£2400 a year? I reckon the postman must have pissed somebody there off. pay just over 10% of your yearly premium and I've only been driving about 6 years now, in my own car that is.
toomuchcoke
Posts: 309
Joined: 05 Jun 2011, 18:15
Gender: Male

"Reason for Cancellation: Unacceptable Occupation"

Post by toomuchcoke »

troubadour2012en wrote:Hi. I just moved home few days ago, and I though I should ring my car insurance company (RICB) to let them know my new address. All good, untill they asked me about other changes. When they heard about my new occupation (Royal Mail worker) they offered me such a big prise (£200 monthly instalments, plus a £500 deposit, etc., and untill now I paid no more than £50 monthly!) or the alternative to cancel the policy. I canceled it, and in few minutes I received an email with "Reason for Cancellation: Unacceptable Occupation". And they got me 7 days to find another insurance company...

Now I'm wondering what should I do...It's hard to believe that all of us are paying such big money for car insurance just because of being postal workers. If anyone has any advice for me, it would be much appreciated! Thank you very much indeed! Peter.
That sounds rather odd! Did they, for some reason, decide you meant you where delivering in your own vehicle and thus decided to price you on the basis of offering you cover for business use? (That seems like the most logical reason for a massive increase, unless you've moved from e.g. Belgravia to Moss Side?)

I'd get onto the likes of GoCompare, Compare the Market and/or Money Supermarket and see what sort of quotes they give you ... Assuming you get much more reasonable quotes, then you can optionally ring your company back and challenge them to either match/beat those quotes or explain why they're so far from being competitive? Bonus humour points available if one of those comparison websites throws up your current insurer as a best price - in which case be sure to mention that too! :-)
troubadour2012en
Posts: 33
Joined: 14 Dec 2014, 13:40
Gender: Male

"Reason for Cancellation: Unacceptable Occupation"

Post by troubadour2012en »

I been driving ore than 10 years, had a lot of no claim bonuses, now...that's what I got! terrible, isn't it??...
troubadour2012en
Posts: 33
Joined: 14 Dec 2014, 13:40
Gender: Male

"Reason for Cancellation: Unacceptable Occupation"

Post by troubadour2012en »

toomuchcoke, I clearly told them that I'm not delivering whit my car, but they still kept saying they can't insure my car because of my occupation....
franco1
Posts: 185
Joined: 25 Jun 2015, 16:55
Gender: Male

"Reason for Cancellation: Unacceptable Occupation"

Post by franco1 »

maybe it has something to do with the way we drive....
Image
troubadour2012en
Posts: 33
Joined: 14 Dec 2014, 13:40
Gender: Male

"Reason for Cancellation: Unacceptable Occupation"

Post by troubadour2012en »

anco, even that van in picture looks similar with the one I drive...IT's NOT MINE :)
Spedley
Posts: 1209
Joined: 16 Jul 2007, 17:32
Location: Warwickshire

"Reason for Cancellation: Unacceptable Occupation"

Post by Spedley »

Must be some mistake, go elsewhere. Must be a big car for £600 per month!
troubadour2012en
Posts: 33
Joined: 14 Dec 2014, 13:40
Gender: Male

"Reason for Cancellation: Unacceptable Occupation"

Post by troubadour2012en »

Oh, I already started to look on internet (gocompare, confused, etc.) hopefully I'll find something shortly. Thank you all for your replies!
salomon2
Posts: 103
Joined: 07 Jan 2016, 10:27
Gender: Female

"Reason for Cancellation: Unacceptable Occupation"

Post by salomon2 »

My insurance went down when I gave them my new occupation and so did my teenage daughters as i am on her policy as a second driver, I'm insured with Hastings through go compare or compare the market, can't remember which.
bustedflush
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1493
Joined: 16 Feb 2013, 11:19
Gender: Male

"Reason for Cancellation: Unacceptable Occupation"

Post by bustedflush »

Spedley wrote:Must be some mistake, go elsewhere. Must be a big car for £600 per month!

What's he got a McLaren MC200 or Bugatti Veyron??
troubadour2012en
Posts: 33
Joined: 14 Dec 2014, 13:40
Gender: Male

"Reason for Cancellation: Unacceptable Occupation"

Post by troubadour2012en »

hi Salomon2, thanks a lot for your "tip" :) I went on Hastings website and it looks like a good car insurance company! Now I have to wait few days for my new driving licence (with the new address) to come, and I'll make a quote online. Hopefully they will give me a good price.
aposter
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 205
Joined: 23 Feb 2013, 16:21
Gender: Male

"Reason for Cancellation: Unacceptable Occupation"

Post by aposter »

They are having a laff, try another insurer. My insurance is around £200 and that is with full business use on it as a postman, and with x number of knocks in the po van declared.