ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Reserve Question

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
grandypants
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 74
Joined: 29 Dec 2015, 21:34
Gender: Male

Reserve Question

Post by grandypants »

I was regular walk holder for approx 8 years when a vacancy came up for a floater driver covering firms and a rural, I got it happy days I thought, about 6 weeks in I had a bump in the van so I was taken off driving and given the third degree over the ( I stress ) minor bump so much so I went off with stress because of the grief I was getting of the two managers.
To cut a long story short when I came back I was put on as a reserve because a new starter (part timer) was put on my old duty and I was told I could not go back on it as I had given it up, so after nearly 20 years service I am moved around from pillar to post, btw this happened in july and I only had my driving assessment last week, I feel like I have had the dirty end of the stick and my rep is pretty much useless!
shepherdess
Posts: 445
Joined: 08 Jul 2009, 16:16
Gender: Female

Reserve Question

Post by shepherdess »

Reading from your post you were off sick you never gave up your duty so its still yours seek unoin representation
Hitcher
Posts: 1530
Joined: 20 Sep 2009, 09:59
Gender: Male

Reserve Question

Post by Hitcher »

Area rep then.
grandypants
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 74
Joined: 29 Dec 2015, 21:34
Gender: Male

Reserve Question

Post by grandypants »

Thanks guys but my rep sides with management because I got the floaters job technically I gave my walk up so they say :arrrghhh
wannabeek
Posts: 996
Joined: 27 Apr 2011, 00:49
Gender: Male

Reserve Question

Post by wannabeek »

I think I've worked it out. Duty A is the walk you were doing for 8 years, then signed for duty B to be a driving floater. Several weeks into it you bump the van and they decide you shouldn't do duty B until driving assessment (I assume - did they say how long you would be off duty B for?)

You say you are entitled to do back onto duty A then, because it used to be your duty? Have I got that right? Totally not the case if so.

I think the sickness is irrelevant to the situation here but may explain why it has taken so long to get the driving assessment sorted out. Now that it has happened you can probably expect to be back on your duty B again soon.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72727
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Reserve Question

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

My reading agrees with Wannabeek.

Once you accepted the new reserve duty, then your Old Walk is no longer yours. It becomes whoever picked it and was accepted. It would be unfair to kick them off that duty to accommodate you. Just like if would be unfair to kick you off the floating driving duty if you hadn't had a bump.

Your duty is the one you picked last, not the last before one, but if the assessment went well then there should be no reason why you shouldn't go back on to it. If not the manager will need to explain why, and the CWU should fight your corner.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
rehabron
Posts: 1372
Joined: 01 Jul 2012, 18:43
Gender: Male

Reserve Question

Post by rehabron »

If I am reading your post correctly you vacated your walk which you held for 8 years for a floater driver rural which you signed for and on this duty you had a minor bump with the van and management decided to remove you from your latest signed duty to undergo a driving assessment which is there right but seems harsh for a first accident if this is also correct. Cannot comprehend why it has taken 7 months for your driving assessment to take place and why you were not pressuring management for your driving assessment to take place earlier so that you could return to your driving duty. You state that you have now had your driving assessment but have not mentioned the outcome. If your driving assessment is favourable then you should automatically be returned to your driving duty and take this matter to a higher management level if necessary. You seem to be confused by the fact that you were not allowed to return to your original duty and Wannabeek and TBT are correct, You made the decision to vacate the walk duty for another and therefore are no longer the signed job holder for the walk duty.
grandypants
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 74
Joined: 29 Dec 2015, 21:34
Gender: Male

Reserve Question

Post by grandypants »

Couple of points to make clear here,I accept the fact I gave up my regular duty(its never been explained to me in the way you guys have), as regards the wait for a driving assessment I was constantly asking for it both to the rep and DOM but seemed to get nowhere, also I have not been put back as the floater driver given no reason why and they get the float covered on overtime, I feel like I,m banging my head against the wall with this one I get no help at all from my rep!
rehabron
Posts: 1372
Joined: 01 Jul 2012, 18:43
Gender: Male

Reserve Question

Post by rehabron »

grandypants wrote:Couple of points to make clear here,I accept the fact I gave up my regular duty(its never been explained to me in the way you guys have), as regards the wait for a driving assessment I was constantly asking for it both to the rep and DOM but seemed to get nowhere, also I have not been put back as the floater driver given no reason why and they get the float covered on overtime, I feel like I,m banging my head against the wall with this one I get no help at all from my rep!
Write to your 1st line manager asking for an explanation why after receiving your driving assessment and assuming your assessor has given the green light for you to return to driving RM vehicles because in your postings you have still failed to mention if your assessment was favourable, On receiving a written reply from your 1st line manager which you will request in your letter to him/her if the reply still states that you are not to be returned to driving after a successful assessment you then lodge a 2nd stage grievance which will be heard at a higher level than your 1st line manager and is also copied in to Employee Relations Team at Pond Street, Sheffield. When sending in your 2nd stage grievance attach all correspondence in relation to your circumstances and wait for the s##t to fly.
grandypants
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 74
Joined: 29 Dec 2015, 21:34
Gender: Male

Reserve Question

Post by grandypants »

Forgot to mention the assessment was completely in my favour no faults at "minimal risk" was what he said, cheers guys I,m going for this now :Applause :Applause :Applause