ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Can i be forced to attend a training course?

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Mezza
Posts: 405
Joined: 14 Sep 2007, 21:56
Location: West London

Can i be forced to attend a training course?

Post by Mezza »

I've been sent details of a training course - Customer &You Module 2 Enquiry Office Mandatory Training.

This is now the 4th time my DOM has tried to get me to attend this course - all the previous 3 times were either my day off, too far to travel or unsuitable for me.

My main gripe with the course is those in my office that have already done it all say that it teaches you absolutely nothing if you have any experience of working in the callers. Well i have over 10 years experience of callers.

This time it's at an office some 16 miles away, despite it having been offered before at the local MC some 5 miles away and easy to get to.
I don't drive so would be train and a walk (I know i can claim fares).

The course is 1 day, 0800-16.00
Now i know i normally work roughly the same amount of hours on that day, but with travel it's an extra 2-2.5 hours - can i claim OT?

Do i have to attend?
Can i simply refuse, what would be the implications?

My DOM has agreed that it isn't exactly ideal but says i HAVE to attend.
motherhubbard
Posts: 1001
Joined: 08 Feb 2010, 17:13
Gender: Female
Location: in the cupboard

Can i be forced to attend a training course?

Post by motherhubbard »

I think the clue is in the word - mandatory.
Never let the hand you hold, hold you down.
IcanthelpthewayIam
Posts: 4067
Joined: 26 May 2009, 13:37
Gender: Male

Can i be forced to attend a training course?

Post by IcanthelpthewayIam »

given your previoua posts about fighting against the workloads you are getting, if you refuse you are giving your dom the ideal excuse to move you out of the enquiry office and back onto a walk which could result in you being a reserve, it's worth thinking about, is it really that hard to sick it up for one day, sit watching PowerPoint presentations and claim a bit of ot (yes you can claim it for the travelling time, also insist on a van)
Mezza
Posts: 405
Joined: 14 Sep 2007, 21:56
Location: West London

Can i be forced to attend a training course?

Post by Mezza »

I get your point, but the callers is not my duty.
i simply cover the meal break and assist when busy on a Saturday.

I understand the word 'mandatory', but there are plenty of others in my office that regularly cover the callers office as a full duty - leave cover and OT, that have never been asked to attend the course.

Why is it mandatory for me?

I really don't have an issue in actually doing the course the ongoing issues i have with my DOM surely could not be used as a factor to remove me from my RLE duty. Not forgetting that there isn't anyone in my office that would want the duty anyway. I was on leave last week and my duty was lapsed once the Sd's were received and allocated each day.

I'll do as i'm told in this instance.
Was really just asking if i could refuse and what the repercussions could be.

thank's for the input.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72727
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Can i be forced to attend a training course?

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

The probable reason for it being mandatory for you and not others is that it forms part of your daily duty, whereas the other people who cover do so on an Ad-hoc basis.

If they wanted to train everyone who could cover the callers office that would be everyone and could prove expensive. However, I think personally RM are missing something by not giving every new starter a shift in the Callers Office and every postie on a customer facing role at least the basics of dealing with customers. Some of the knuckles dragging comments I hear about customers shocked me when I first started and it still does to some extent.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
IloveMYredTROLLEY!
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1923
Joined: 02 Apr 2010, 06:54
Gender: Male

Can i be forced to attend a training course?

Post by IloveMYredTROLLEY! »

No idea on RM policy, but getting travel expenses and overtime for the difference compared to your home-depot sounds reasonable.
gone postal
Posts: 98
Joined: 16 May 2012, 19:30
Gender: Male

Can i be forced to attend a training course?

Post by gone postal »

I attended this course a few months back and did get travel expenses and over time.
Whether it's worth doing is up to you, but don't believe everything your colleagues say.
I came away with some useful ideas and found it interesting to hear how other offices work.
doorstepped
Posts: 1063
Joined: 10 Oct 2011, 23:17
Gender: Male
Location: Somewhere west of London

Can i be forced to attend a training course?

Post by doorstepped »

I have also got to attend the same Course and the office the course is at is around 50 miles from my home office, round the M25 and up the A10!

so I will catch all the morning traffic there and all the returning traffic back so around a 12 hour day!

I will also only be able to do a legal 70 mph all the way as I will be using a van or I won't be going.
Last edited by doorstepped on 07 Feb 2016, 13:05, edited 1 time in total.
Mezza
Posts: 405
Joined: 14 Sep 2007, 21:56
Location: West London

Can i be forced to attend a training course?

Post by Mezza »

gone postal wrote:I attended this course a few months back and did get travel expenses and over time.
Whether it's worth doing is up to you, but don't believe everything your colleagues say.
I came away with some useful ideas and found it interesting to hear how other offices work.

I'm sure there will be the odd thing that is of interest.
Not sure that not covering the new SPS system is a good idea though.

We have SPS, so for example their queue busting techniques will be pointless as we only have 2 computers in our callers - so can only have a maximum of 2 people serving and therefore can only serve 2 customers at a time.
That also means that if you are doing as above, then there is no computer available to book items in at the same time.
I like SPS, but it's no quicker than the old methods it's just a good way of getting all the callers info in one place.

Dealing with stroppy customers - not an issue - get a mananger - not paid enough to deal with that :-)
greengiant
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1268
Joined: 24 Mar 2014, 19:40
Gender: Male

Can i be forced to attend a training course?

Post by greengiant »

gone postal wrote:I attended this course a few months back and did get travel expenses and over time.
Whether it's worth doing is up to you, but don't believe everything your colleagues say.
I came away with some useful ideas and found it interesting to hear how other offices work.
And it's a day out as well!

I've been working on callers office for a few weeks, got no training at all, so had to ask the phg what to do! :crazy:
DB1100
Posts: 1976
Joined: 10 Sep 2007, 14:30

Can i be forced to attend a training course?

Post by DB1100 »

I would go just for the day out,and as long as the course muppet doesn't ask any questions at the end you might get away earlier
For we were soldiers once,and young
Surreypostie
Posts: 999
Joined: 04 Aug 2013, 21:05
Gender: Male

Can i be forced to attend a training course?

Post by Surreypostie »

I would imagine the same applies as if you were asked to go to another office to work, you have the right to start at your duty time and finish at your duty time should you wish it, it is also their responsibility to get you there and back. If you no longer wish to do the callers just say sorry I won't be going as it's not convenient. I don't see how they can force the issue, you may have childcare or any other things in your life that makes it inconvenient to you. I don't see why the training can't be carried out in your office during your normal attendance hours. That of course inconveniences them.
toomuchcoke
Posts: 309
Joined: 05 Jun 2011, 18:15
Gender: Male

Can i be forced to attend a training course?

Post by toomuchcoke »

doorstepped wrote:I will also only be able to do a legal 70 mph all the way as I will be using a van or I won't be going.
That's assuming they give you an old Vauxhall Corsa ... If they give you a Fiat Dublo or a Peugeot Partner then it'll be a max of 60mph assuming it's motorways/dual-carriageways and 50mph otherwise.

Edited to add : Of course, I'm sure none of us would think of exceeding those limits as not only would be illegal but it would also be making a rod for our backs - reduce the amount of time you spend driving and management will be sure to give you extra delivery points to make up the difference!
aiden01
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 7001
Joined: 27 Feb 2013, 21:43
Gender: Male

Can i be forced to attend a training course?

Post by aiden01 »

greengiant wrote:
gone postal wrote:I attended this course a few months back and did get travel expenses and over time.
Whether it's worth doing is up to you, but don't believe everything your colleagues say.
I came away with some useful ideas and found it interesting to hear how other offices work.
And it's a day out as well!

I've been working on callers office for a few weeks, got no training at all, so had to ask the phg what to do! :crazy:
Phg was done away with long ago we are all opg,s now although they are still paid £20 a week more :crazy: