ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Are Postmen Losers?

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
In The Know
Posts: 50
Joined: 20 Jul 2015, 18:11
Gender: Male

Are Postmen Losers?

Post by In The Know »

So many postmen been in the job years, happy to trudge the streets like a pit pony, looked down upon by moms taking the kids to school, take home £300, barely enough to cover the bills, no foreign holidays, no nice car, no nice house.

Why don't they get off there arses and get out there and become an entrepreneur? Or are all postmen losers in life?
bustedflush
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1493
Joined: 16 Feb 2013, 11:19
Gender: Male

Re: Are Postmen Losers?

Post by bustedflush »

In The Know wrote:So many postmen been in the job years, happy to trudge the streets like a pit pony, looked down upon by moms taking the kids to school, take home £300, barely enough to cover the bills, no foreign holidays, no nice car, no nice house.

Why don't they get off there arses and get out there and become an entrepreneur? Or are all postmen losers in life?
I see the Norwegian Bridge-Dwellers are all out tonight. Most posties in my office own homes outright and partners work if in their late 40's 50's, therefore have quite a bit of disposable income and most take one or two foreign holidays a year. Nice houses, many have them as I deliver to many colleagues. Check out the car park, many a nice motor in there. I suppose I could leave and live on 80 quid ESA.

So Branson, explain how you left the postal service and made your millions which put us 'losers' to shame.
Nondescript
Posts: 232
Joined: 29 Nov 2013, 16:25
Gender: Male

Re: Are Postmen Losers?

Post by Nondescript »

In The Know wrote:So many postmen been in the job years, happy to trudge the streets like a pit pony, looked down upon by moms taking the kids to school, take home £300, barely enough to cover the bills, no foreign holidays, no nice car, no nice house.

Why don't they get off there arses and get out there and become an entrepreneur? Or are all postmen losers in life?
Since your most recent posts seem to indicate that you are still in the job, shouldn't this be more of an introspective question? Or have you already asked it? What answer did you arrive at?
bustedflush
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1493
Joined: 16 Feb 2013, 11:19
Gender: Male

Re: Are Postmen Losers?

Post by bustedflush »

I think he has women issues, some sort of complex as he seems to think they 'look down on him'. Or is it because he's a short-ar$e?
fishtank
Posts: 19732
Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
Gender: Male

Re: Are Postmen Losers?

Post by fishtank »

I made my millions selling PPI to idiots, I only do the postie thing to meet women on uniformdating.com.
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
datasaint
Posts: 1541
Joined: 22 Sep 2008, 17:19
Gender: Male

Re: Are Postmen Losers?

Post by datasaint »

As postmen/postwomen we're still providing a useful service to society in general, and it gives us a bit of job satisfaction getting the job done, which is more than can be said for a lot of other professions, like who would want to work in a call centre cold-calling people.
camelelf
Posts: 64
Joined: 17 Oct 2015, 18:15
Gender: Male

Re: Are Postmen Losers?

Post by camelelf »

I can't speak for others but despite the sometimes poor management and a few other little things, I couldn't be happier in this job. It could certainly be much worse.

I own a new car and I'm off to Barcelona in April :nana
arnold cheshire
Posts: 5309
Joined: 14 Oct 2010, 21:28
Gender: Male
Location: england

Re: Are Postmen Losers?

Post by arnold cheshire »

If you include our pension payments we take home 358 a week not 300
crazyshrew
Posts: 584
Joined: 19 Jun 2011, 16:58
Gender: Female
Location: Coastal, South West

Re: Are Postmen Losers?

Post by crazyshrew »

In The Know wrote: barely enough to cover the bills, no foreign holidays, no nice car, no nice house.
Now what is a nice car, or a nice house? and is a foreign holiday really and essential?
I have home that keeps me warm and dry, bills are paid and I have enough food in my fridge, I am lucky enough to car that gets me comfortably from A-B, yes there are far flung places I'd like to visit but I burn through factor 50 in the British summer so getting away for a Summer holiday isn't top of my priority list.

There a are pros and cons like in any job and for different people they will be different. Although the pros that many signed up for years ago are rapidly disappearing , if they haven't yet gone altogether.
Everyone's in it for different reasons, and every job needs to be done by someone.


For now it's ideal for me, having a very introverted nature and poor mental health makes working a 30+hr indoor job or one with lots of interpersonal interaction impossible for me; but being outside getting plenty of exercise and fresh air with minimal hubbub is exactly what I can do.
If that makes me a loser then so be it.

Having minimal drain during the during the working week enables me to do a little in my spare time, In fact I'm a cadet forces instructor 2 evenings a week and several weekends a year.
Having a reasonable amount of time (for now) between finishing work and getting to the unit at 1845, enables me to ensure my lesson plans and admin are up to the right standard.
But yeah, doing my bit for the young people in my community makes me a total loser

Of course being a postie wasn't/isn't my dream job, But I spent my teenage years in and out of hospital (mental health related), this obviously affected my education and I didn't get the A levels I needed for the uni course for the career I wanted.
+100 loser points

On a 30 hr contract I also have a little spare time so I've started an OU course with the hope of moving on to a degree next year. It''l take me about 6 years but that's a pace I can comfortably manage.
Funnily enough jobs in the social care sector, where I'm hoping to end up (even with a degree) generally pay less than what I'm earning now, at least to start with.

Looking back at all the above I'm clearly a total loser in life.
aiden01
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 7001
Joined: 27 Feb 2013, 21:43
Gender: Male

Re: Are Postmen Losers?

Post by aiden01 »

fishtank wrote:I made my millions selling PPI to idiots, I only do the postie thing to meet women on uniformdating.com.
:Very Happy :Very Happy :Very Happy :thumbup :thumbup :thumbup
rhino49
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1644
Joined: 04 Jun 2007, 21:50
Gender: Male
Location: At home with my feet up

Re: Are Postmen Losers?

Post by rhino49 »

fishtank wrote:I made my millions selling PPI to idiots, I only do the postie thing to meet women on uniformdating.com.
I made mine claiming back my PPI :nana :nana :nana
We wish to serve - but we will not be servile
westy23
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 66
Joined: 24 Aug 2010, 10:35
Gender: Male

Re: Are Postmen Losers?

Post by westy23 »

Not biting.
Sorry
Brainache
Posts: 394
Joined: 30 Jul 2010, 21:37
Gender: Male

Re: Are Postmen Losers?

Post by Brainache »

In The Know - what a loser.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72727
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Are Postmen Losers?

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

In The Know wrote:So many postmen been in the job years, happy to trudge the streets like a pit pony, looked down upon by moms taking the kids to school, take home £300, barely enough to cover the bills, no foreign holidays, no nice car, no nice house.

Why don't they get off there arses and get out there and become an entrepreneur? Or are all postmen losers in life?
Image

http://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/communit ... 09#p715909" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
In The Know wrote:Obvs troll :dance
http://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/communit ... 56#p712956" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
In The Know wrote:Bore off bore
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
drill bit
Posts: 6
Joined: 05 Nov 2015, 18:30
Gender: Male

Are Postmen Losers?

Post by drill bit »

Can't spell mum either