ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
S/A is it worth doing?
-
salomon2
- Posts: 103
- Joined: 07 Jan 2016, 10:27
- Gender: Female
S/A is it worth doing?
I've been asked if I want to take on s/a, I do collections on a Saturday if I'm on a full time duty but that's just on cover when short staffed.I'm part time normally on an hct duty. So what does it involve, how often do you have to be on the rota and is it just normal pay. I'm not sure it's going to be worth my while as it means going home then back out and it may be a rush etc. anything I should be aware of or need to ask, apparently I get 2 days training, I'll believe that when it happens,lol I never had training for collections before, just got sent out with a bunch of keys!!
-
ihatedogs
- MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
- Posts: 547
- Joined: 03 Nov 2010, 18:53
- Gender: Male
Re: S/A is it worth doing?
Put simply, the sa is contractual & actual hours will be down to the sa itself.
If you take it on you will sign an sa contract, usually 6 or 12 months.ask to see the duty pack which will show hours & content then you can decide if you want to do it.
Sa pay is approx £11.25 per hour
If you take it on you will sign an sa contract, usually 6 or 12 months.ask to see the duty pack which will show hours & content then you can decide if you want to do it.
Sa pay is approx £11.25 per hour
-
crazyshrew
- Posts: 584
- Joined: 19 Jun 2011, 16:58
- Gender: Female
- Location: Coastal, South West
Re: S/A is it worth doing?
SA's seem to vary office to office
Some places will have you will doing SA No1 or whatever on a particular day/days each week.
Others, like mine you have your name on the list and you do a couple every other week, we have 2 X 3hr collections mon-fri and a 5hr Wednesday callers.
TBH this system sucks (but that could be because the chap who organises them couldn't organise a piss up in a brewery) as it makes it very difficult to plan ahead because you're not sure exactly when your due on them, constantly with others about which days you want/can to do
And more than once they've stuck my name down to come in on my day off to do them, being told to do it or get conducted for being awol.
To answer the OP, you'll have to chat with others who do them in your office and work out how SA's work there and see if it suits you. Personally I'd prefer if ours were set rather than rotated but different things suit different people.
Some places will have you will doing SA No1 or whatever on a particular day/days each week.
Others, like mine you have your name on the list and you do a couple every other week, we have 2 X 3hr collections mon-fri and a 5hr Wednesday callers.
TBH this system sucks (but that could be because the chap who organises them couldn't organise a piss up in a brewery) as it makes it very difficult to plan ahead because you're not sure exactly when your due on them, constantly with others about which days you want/can to do
And more than once they've stuck my name down to come in on my day off to do them, being told to do it or get conducted for being awol.
To answer the OP, you'll have to chat with others who do them in your office and work out how SA's work there and see if it suits you. Personally I'd prefer if ours were set rather than rotated but different things suit different people.
-
motherhubbard
- Posts: 1001
- Joined: 08 Feb 2010, 17:13
- Gender: Female
- Location: in the cupboard
Re: S/A is it worth doing?
And you get a SA payment while you are on holiday.
Never let the hand you hold, hold you down.
-
Jpro747
- Posts: 1342
- Joined: 23 Dec 2012, 10:22
- Gender: Male
Re: S/A is it worth doing?
This is my take on SA afternoon collections;
Pros:
You get paid at a higher rate
The work is generally easy
Paid while on hols
Cons:
Gets in the way of plans made after work
Harder in the winter months esp. at xmas
Pros:
You get paid at a higher rate
The work is generally easy
Paid while on hols
Cons:
Gets in the way of plans made after work
Harder in the winter months esp. at xmas
-
modern
- Posts: 17
- Joined: 20 Mar 2010, 10:06
- Gender: Male
Re: S/A is it worth doing?
which is 25p more than a normal full timers rate total pishihatedogs wrote:Put simply, the sa is contractual & actual hours will be down to the sa itself.
If you take it on you will sign an sa contract, usually 6 or 12 months.ask to see the duty pack which will show hours & content then you can decide if you want to do it.
Sa pay is approx £11.25 per hour
-
datasaint
- Posts: 1541
- Joined: 22 Sep 2008, 17:19
- Gender: Male
Re: S/A is it worth doing?
I personally don't see the point of tying yourself to a potentially awkward SA contract, when you can just as easily pick up the OT if and when you need it.
-
redneck
- Posts: 788
- Joined: 04 Jan 2010, 20:28
- Gender: Male
Re: S/A is it worth doing?
Something to be said for this, been doing them for six years on a Mon-Fri evening every weeks basis on the town boxes, businesses and po's and I've got tired of them. Some days before Xmas there was too little gap between finishing a heavy round and starting a collection. I am still on a rota, but have given the last one away (we are able to do that here).norm wrote:I personally don't see the point of tying yourself to a potentially awkward SA contract, when you can just as easily pick up the OT if and when you need it.
-
salomon2
- Posts: 103
- Joined: 07 Jan 2016, 10:27
- Gender: Female
Re: S/A is it worth doing?
Thanks, I'm going to say no as I can see I'm just going to end up doing more and more. So much for a 25 hr contract, did 47 last week and already up to 14 and it's only Tuesday!