ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
So long, Royal Mail...
-
johnstonsj
- Posts: 6
- Joined: 07 Aug 2015, 11:15
- Gender: Male
So long, Royal Mail...
Well, after 9 months with the business, I've handed in my notice. I've worked as a postman in a delivery office in Northern Ireland and, despite good pay, the working experience has been far from pleasant! An over-ambitious, callous and frankly narcissistic DOM, petty and inept linos, a large number of selfish postmen who ruin the job for everyone by not performing the job correctly, on top of an ever increasing workload and pressure from the top, has resulted in 6 resignations in two weeks, with more threatening to leave. I feel sorry for the men who have been with the business for years and work appropriately as they are coerced to working to new Royal Mail standards, resulting in a huge amount of physical and mental pressure placed upon them, or else face dismissal. As well as those on 20 hour contracts who are expected to work 4-5 days a week within that time period and justify any overtime which will inevitably happen. I've had enough and so have so many.
Now that I've saved enough, I'm off to travel around South east Asia with the girlfriend and teach English as a secondary language. Finally putting university education to use! Good luck to those still in this oppressive business. Viva la revolution!
Now that I've saved enough, I'm off to travel around South east Asia with the girlfriend and teach English as a secondary language. Finally putting university education to use! Good luck to those still in this oppressive business. Viva la revolution!
-
ziggy
- Posts: 114
- Joined: 10 Jul 2007, 14:26
- Gender: Male
- Location: Back o Beyond
Re: So long, Royal Mail...
All the best mate. Well done on getting out. Enjoy your adventures, stay safe and have fun
Ziggy
-
clashcityrocker
- Posts: 16700
- Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
- Gender: Male
- Location: strummerville
Re: So long, Royal Mail...
And who would have thought the vanguard would be led by junior doctors?johnstonsj wrote: Viva la revolution!
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
-
robbertwhitton
- Posts: 1132
- Joined: 30 Aug 2010, 19:06
- Gender: Male
Re: So long, Royal Mail...
Very well put my friend,am finding this now after 36 years!! Very sad indeed,I wish you well my friend
-
Gilly856
- Posts: 41
- Joined: 13 Nov 2014, 13:29
- Gender: Male
Re: So long, Royal Mail...
Enjoy the travels living the dreamjohnstonsj wrote:Well, after 9 months with the business, I've handed in my notice. I've worked as a postman in a delivery office in Northern Ireland and, despite good pay, the working experience has been far from pleasant! An over-ambitious, callous and frankly narcissistic DOM, petty and inept linos, a large number of selfish postmen who ruin the job for everyone by not performing the job correctly, on top of an ever increasing workload and pressure from the top, has resulted in 6 resignations in two weeks, with more threatening to leave. I feel sorry for the men who have been with the business for years and work appropriately as they are coerced to working to new Royal Mail standards, resulting in a huge amount of physical and mental pressure placed upon them, or else face dismissal. As well as those on 20 hour contracts who are expected to work 4-5 days a week within that time period and justify any overtime which will inevitably happen. I've had enough and so have so many.
Now that I've saved enough, I'm off to travel around South east Asia with the girlfriend and teach English as a secondary language. Finally putting university education to use! Good luck to those still in this oppressive business. Viva la revolution!
-
tonytucker
- Posts: 190
- Joined: 06 Aug 2009, 18:20
- Gender: Male
- Location: Essex now
-
Judgee
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 2262
- Joined: 23 Oct 2007, 15:18
Re: So long, Royal Mail...
Have fun and feel free to pass on the message that being a postman is a bloody tough slog and not for everyone!
Real postmen are carved out of granite. They endure so much for so little and yet everybody pictures them plodding about for a couple of hours every day in the sunshine without a care in the world. If only the rest of the country knew just how much we have to put up with and how hard we work perhaps they might actually appreciate us a bit more!
Real postmen are carved out of granite. They endure so much for so little and yet everybody pictures them plodding about for a couple of hours every day in the sunshine without a care in the world. If only the rest of the country knew just how much we have to put up with and how hard we work perhaps they might actually appreciate us a bit more!
Union what Union? Do we have a union?
-
Chelseablue
- Posts: 2222
- Joined: 19 Aug 2013, 14:33
- Gender: Female
Re: So long, Royal Mail...
Why doesn't the union get the customers involved let them know what's happening reg all this destruction of the Royal Mail? Send out flyers , a petition etc ?
-
Nondescript
- Posts: 232
- Joined: 29 Nov 2013, 16:25
- Gender: Male
Re: So long, Royal Mail...
What's needed is another Panorama episode focusing on the job as it is now and what it's doing to postal workers physical (and mental) health in the long term. The 2009 programme found that the workload was excessive, god knows what they'd make of it now.
-
Hitcher
- Posts: 1530
- Joined: 20 Sep 2009, 09:59
- Gender: Male
Re: So long, Royal Mail...
The same way they did about privatisation you mean? The public doesn't care that's why.Chelseablue wrote:Why doesn't the union get the customers involved let them know what's happening reg all this destruction of the Royal Mail? Send out flyers , a petition etc ?
-
johnstonsj
- Posts: 6
- Joined: 07 Aug 2015, 11:15
- Gender: Male
Re: So long, Royal Mail...
Judgee wrote:Have fun and feel free to pass on the message that being a postman is a bloody tough slog and not for everyone!
Real postmen are carved out of granite. They endure so much for so little and yet everybody pictures them plodding about for a couple of hours every day in the sunshine without a care in the world. If only the rest of the country knew just how much we have to put up with and how hard we work perhaps they might actually appreciate us a bit more!
This is it exactly. I went into the job under the false pretences of it being somewhat cushy. Others were stating that I was "landed". Yes, the money is good and allowed me a comfortable lifestyle and to save money, but the flipside was the anxiety and mild depression at the start, the low morale in the office, the managers would attempt to walk all over you, the favouratism and generally crookedness, the constant tiredness, the aches and pains and the realisation that this is not a job for life, it would ruin you mentally and physically. Postmen and women who stick this out are made of strong stuff and I wish you all the best as the business continues to change for worst. I'll be making things as easy for my own postman for sure!
-
Anonymouse
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 174
- Joined: 02 Jun 2012, 22:20
- Gender: Male
Re: So long, Royal Mail...
Nice one, man. Your plans sound amazing.
Enjoy it
Enjoy it
-
Bahia Feliz
- Posts: 1169
- Joined: 22 Sep 2008, 21:04
- Gender: Male
Re: So long, Royal Mail...
You're only jealoustonytucker wrote:Yeah bye bye yawn
-
Darren Bent
- Posts: 2150
- Joined: 05 Oct 2007, 15:38
- Gender: Male
- Location: Pride Park, Derby, DE24 8XL
Re: So long, Royal Mail...
Make most of it and hopefully it will be a great future. It is better than working for Royal Mail.
-
jimmynailsalive
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 305
- Joined: 28 Dec 2013, 13:36
- Gender: Male
So long, Royal Mail...
All the best mate, I left just before Christmas and seems my work only recently sent out for references so I'm holding off giving my big leaving post with all the facts that happen to anyone unlucky to end up in these big amalgamated offices like the one in Cambuslang.
I'm in a new job sitting on my backside with a cracking view of the Campsies and by all accounts I'll be earning about 10% less in 12 months time and my biggest concern will be the free coffee machine
I was only a couple of years in the job and my buddy next to me in my new job is an ex-postie of 6 years and it's pretty clear that any new starts(Posties) are treated like sh!te.
My advice to anyone joining Royal Mail is don't waste your time joining the Union, that is all about upholding the rights of people in before you, tell them to take a hike, as long as you are happy you turn up and do the job then forget about pissing 3 or whatever quid down the drain as you will be pumped on to the worst duties going and I'm going to go into one of them shortly if allowed to and that's about it, I must add I worked in 2 offices, one on a 4 day week and loved it, small central Scotland place and there is no problem being bumped about because there was only 20 odd walks, meanwhile the Cambuslang office has 4 different offices combined and easily 150 duties although you're more likely to get pumped on to the sh!te in Rutherglen but that's for another time.
Anyway, if this was like trip advisor etc, I'd say 1 out of 5 for the job.
I'm in a new job sitting on my backside with a cracking view of the Campsies and by all accounts I'll be earning about 10% less in 12 months time and my biggest concern will be the free coffee machine
I was only a couple of years in the job and my buddy next to me in my new job is an ex-postie of 6 years and it's pretty clear that any new starts(Posties) are treated like sh!te.
My advice to anyone joining Royal Mail is don't waste your time joining the Union, that is all about upholding the rights of people in before you, tell them to take a hike, as long as you are happy you turn up and do the job then forget about pissing 3 or whatever quid down the drain as you will be pumped on to the worst duties going and I'm going to go into one of them shortly if allowed to and that's about it, I must add I worked in 2 offices, one on a 4 day week and loved it, small central Scotland place and there is no problem being bumped about because there was only 20 odd walks, meanwhile the Cambuslang office has 4 different offices combined and easily 150 duties although you're more likely to get pumped on to the sh!te in Rutherglen but that's for another time.
Anyway, if this was like trip advisor etc, I'd say 1 out of 5 for the job.