ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

holidays

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
daveallan333
Posts: 7
Joined: 17 Apr 2012, 18:16
Gender: Male

holidays

Post by daveallan333 »

can anyone tell me when the summer holidays start,my boss wants me to take march,but i dont think this is summer time
IcanthelpthewayIam
Posts: 4067
Joined: 26 May 2009, 13:37
Gender: Male

Re: holidays

Post by IcanthelpthewayIam »

There is nothing in any national agreement that even says that there must be a summer or winter leave selection, our office works on full year selection that way lower down staff who don't get a decent week in summer can pick the best of winter if they wish
daveyeff
Posts: 4699
Joined: 12 Mar 2010, 19:38
Gender: Male

Re: holidays

Post by daveyeff »

our annual leave runs from the beginning of april to end of march.
Dorset Plodder
Posts: 4351
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
Gender: Male

Re: holidays

Post by Dorset Plodder »

I would have thought that in such a large business as ours there would be a standard, and effective, way of booking holidays? :hmmmm Instead I expect everyone on this forum would be able to tell you of a different system used in their DO. :crazy:

"Provided everyone gets their leave sorted whats the problem? We should be allowed to use what ever system we want"! I hear you cry. However in my experience everybody doesn't get the leave they want....and I'm not talking about everyone wanting the same week. How often have you gone into the office with possibly 4 different weeks and been told they're all boooked up? In my office is seems to boil down to who moans the most, and loudest,and most frequently! :no no And they get their leave FFS!

They're the type of people who have their entire year of days off marked on their year planner so thy NEVER book any leave when it's their long weekend. And they normally spend about 15 mins every morning microscopically examining the leave sheet with their diaries open. Fair enough they're a bit more organised than most, where their leave's concerned, but I would like to see a more transparent, and visible, system of allocating leave. Not just a leave sheet being pinned up with all the best weeks already allocated! :arrrghhh
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
weary_posty
Posts: 225
Joined: 01 Jul 2011, 15:08
Gender: Male

Re: holidays

Post by weary_posty »

I'd just be happy if the annual leave was sorted when it is supposed to be.

We're still waiting for next years final picks
Lou84
Posts: 162
Joined: 09 May 2012, 21:42
Gender: Female

Re: holidays

Post by Lou84 »

weary_posty wrote:I'd just be happy if the annual leave was sorted when it is supposed to be.

We're still waiting for next years final picks
Snap !
revo3600
Posts: 10
Joined: 06 Jan 2010, 16:46
Gender: Male

Re: holidays

Post by revo3600 »

our DOM is only half way through allocating our 2016-2017 annual leave , its ridiculous :thumbdown
IcanthelpthewayIam
Posts: 4067
Joined: 26 May 2009, 13:37
Gender: Male

Re: holidays

Post by IcanthelpthewayIam »

revo3600 wrote:our DOM is only half way through allocating our 2016-2017 annual leave , its ridiculous :thumbdown
Why has your rep not done anything about it?
Dorset Plodder
Posts: 4351
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
Gender: Male

Re: holidays

Post by Dorset Plodder »

zx135 wrote:
revo3600 wrote:our DOM is only half way through allocating our 2016-2017 annual leave , its ridiculous :thumbdown
Why has your rep not done anything about it?
Probably because he's already got the weeks he wants booked? :wink:
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
Lou84
Posts: 162
Joined: 09 May 2012, 21:42
Gender: Female

holidays

Post by Lou84 »

Finally got my leave sheet printed off after asking for the last month, it looks like everything is full for the rest of this year.

Can I carry over the 5 days or will I be forced to take it whenever the manager says ?
IcanthelpthewayIam
Posts: 4067
Joined: 26 May 2009, 13:37
Gender: Male

holidays

Post by IcanthelpthewayIam »

Lou84 wrote:Finally got my leave sheet printed off after asking for the last month, it looks like everything is full for the rest of this year.

Can I carry over the 5 days or will I be forced to take it whenever the manager says ?

Have you been able to take 28 days leave in total including bank holidays in this leave year?
Lou84
Posts: 162
Joined: 09 May 2012, 21:42
Gender: Female

holidays

Post by Lou84 »

I moved offices and house half way through the year, so its been awkward booking leave.

I've managed to book some in my new office but still have outstanding leave, I've been asking about this for the past month and now it seems to be full !

Union rep off sick again also
IcanthelpthewayIam
Posts: 4067
Joined: 26 May 2009, 13:37
Gender: Male

holidays

Post by IcanthelpthewayIam »

Lou84 wrote:I moved offices and house half way through the year, so its been awkward booking leave.

I've managed to book some in my new office but still have outstanding leave, I've been asking about this for the past month and now it seems to be full !

Union rep off sick again also
Ok but as I was asking, have you been able to take 28 days worth of leave including bank holidays in this leave year?
Lou84
Posts: 162
Joined: 09 May 2012, 21:42
Gender: Female

holidays

Post by Lou84 »

No as I still have leave left, booked some before I moved offices but didn't think to book it all as I thought it would be cheeky.

Leave ceilings at my new office were already met and I haven't been able to book anymore.
ewancurze
Posts: 400
Joined: 22 Jun 2010, 19:25
Gender: Male

Re: holidays

Post by ewancurze »

daveyeff wrote:our annual leave runs from the beginning of april to end of march.
It feels like ours runs from the end of March to the beginning of April :cry