ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Knee problems

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
rambo1
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 3266
Joined: 12 Jun 2013, 20:00
Gender: Male

Knee problems

Post by rambo1 »

Anyone had a torn medial meniscus, and operation to repair it? Wondering about the outcome of it although I realise every case is different. Wonder also, how many cases such as this have arisen since shared vans came in over bikes, with the massive increase in walking we now do.
rhino49
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1644
Joined: 04 Jun 2007, 21:50
Gender: Male
Location: At home with my feet up

Re: Knee problems

Post by rhino49 »

rambo1 wrote:Anyone had a torn medial meniscus, and operation to repair it? Wondering about the outcome of it although I realise every case is different. Wonder also, how many cases such as this have arisen since shared vans came in over bikes, with the massive increase in walking we now do.
Awaiting my clinical assessment (two weeks)prior to the op. Retired now but it is an old injury that I just kept walking with and it has got steadily worse as the tear has never properly healed. I'll let you know how I go on with the op, but if you have had your scan and diagnosis, I suggest you take a rest until it's dealt with.
We wish to serve - but we will not be servile
motherhubbard
Posts: 1001
Joined: 08 Feb 2010, 17:13
Gender: Female
Location: in the cupboard

Re: Knee problems

Post by motherhubbard »

Keyhole surgery
4 weeks off.
Right as rain.
Never let the hand you hold, hold you down.
noggin1969
Posts: 1321
Joined: 13 Oct 2009, 17:28
Gender: Male

Re: Knee problems

Post by noggin1969 »

2 small holes in the knee a few stitches each , 2 weeks off , 2 weeks light duties , better than it was but not 100%.
motherhubbard
Posts: 1001
Joined: 08 Feb 2010, 17:13
Gender: Female
Location: in the cupboard

Re: Knee problems

Post by motherhubbard »

I would check your blood pressure prior to the op.
Walking/exercise usually means low blood pressure and the medical team can get a bit overexcited by this when you come round.
They started pumping one of my colleagues full of adrenalin after the op to try and raise his blood pressure which they saw as abnormally low but was perfectly normal for him.

And make sure they draw the big arrow on the correct leg.
Never let the hand you hold, hold you down.
greengiant
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1268
Joined: 24 Mar 2014, 19:40
Gender: Male

Re: Knee problems

Post by greengiant »

noggin1969 wrote:2 small holes in the knee a few stitches each , 2 weeks off , 2 weeks light duties , better than it was but not 100%.
I had knee arthroscopy with microfracture of rear of kneecap to fix damaged lining and remove piece of cartilage which was floating around the joint with 6 weeks non weight bearing on crutches. 7 weeks off , and looking like 5 weeks on indoor work. :roll: Mind you still can't walk much further than a mile and a half without pain. :arrrghhh
DGP1
Posts: 15551
Joined: 07 Jun 2007, 20:39
Gender: Male
Location: Terminus

Re: Knee problems

Post by DGP1 »

I had my op, took 5 weeks off and then back in, lasted less than a year before the pain came back, needs repaired again but I can't be bothered now, the doctor will supply me with enough drugs to keep me going for the next few years until I can leave this job :Very Happy
I'm preparing myself for the zombie invasion, rule number 1 - Cardio
rambo1
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 3266
Joined: 12 Jun 2013, 20:00
Gender: Male

Re: Knee problems

Post by rambo1 »

Thanks for all the advice guys. Sounds a pretty mixed bag! Think I need a good chat with my surgeon before I commit to him messing around in my knee. Cheers again.
daveyeff
Posts: 4699
Joined: 12 Mar 2010, 19:38
Gender: Male

Re: Knee problems

Post by daveyeff »

DGP1 wrote:I had my op, took 5 weeks off and then back in, lasted less than a year before the pain came back, needs repaired again but I can't be bothered now, the doctor will supply me with enough drugs to keep me going for the next few years until I can leave this job :Very Happy
if it progresses to 'grade 4' you will need more than drugs.
cantonkid1955
PARCELFORCE
Posts: 163
Joined: 19 Jun 2011, 19:03
Gender: Male

Re: Knee problems

Post by cantonkid1955 »

I've been medically retired from Parcelforce with knee problems because,,apparently,,I'm beyond help,