I look this job on purely to give me a little bit of money while I do the OU course. Meant to be stress free and easy.
This week I am being a reserve for the first time, I'm dreading it. Today's my first day, I don't know who I'm with, where the frame is, what time to arrive, what to bundle, where to walk. Left utterly in the dark. I'm trying to not get too stressed but it's quite difficult when you have no idea as I'm sure a lot of you have experienced. Any advice? If I don't know where something is, shall I just bring it back? Any tips?
Thanks
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
reserve nerves...
-
mancpat
- Posts: 85
- Joined: 09 Feb 2010, 12:36
- Gender: Male
Re: reserve nerves...
Use Google maps on your phone.
When I started years ago you'd come to the end of a road then would walk around for a bit looking for the next road but now if you're lost just get your phone out and switch your gps on and see where your next bit is from there.
Also when you bundle up put a couple of letters from the next road in a bundle. For example don't end a bundle at 2 coronation street then start the next one at 1 sesame street. End your bundle at 1 sesame street and start your next on 3 sesame street. That way you know where you are going next.
Also ask your fellow workers if they know the walk and if there is anything you need to know. Most walks will have one or two places where someone might tell you it's in a tricky spot and you might struggle to find it.
Failing all that if you do bring anything back just endorse it as no access or whatever the reason is. That way you cover yourself.
When I started years ago you'd come to the end of a road then would walk around for a bit looking for the next road but now if you're lost just get your phone out and switch your gps on and see where your next bit is from there.
Also when you bundle up put a couple of letters from the next road in a bundle. For example don't end a bundle at 2 coronation street then start the next one at 1 sesame street. End your bundle at 1 sesame street and start your next on 3 sesame street. That way you know where you are going next.
Also ask your fellow workers if they know the walk and if there is anything you need to know. Most walks will have one or two places where someone might tell you it's in a tricky spot and you might struggle to find it.
Failing all that if you do bring anything back just endorse it as no access or whatever the reason is. That way you cover yourself.
-
LaggyBand
- Posts: 1065
- Joined: 29 Jun 2015, 14:07
- Gender: Male
Re: reserve nerves...
Some advice from a reserve for fifteen years...
Cause your manager as many issues as possible. No matter how small - report everything. Do not attempt to solve anything yourself. Remember: you are dumb labour - you merely work as instructed. Instead, have your manager find solutions for you. Work to your time and preferably bring mail back that you have not got time to do, using the proper cutting off procedure. The more the better.
Contrarily, should everything go smoothly, and no problems arise, all mail is cleared... It's you they'll come for next time, when they need a "body" to cover that walk no one really knows.
The more difficult you are, the less you're messed about. Took me fifteen years to learn that rule.
Good luck mate.
Cause your manager as many issues as possible. No matter how small - report everything. Do not attempt to solve anything yourself. Remember: you are dumb labour - you merely work as instructed. Instead, have your manager find solutions for you. Work to your time and preferably bring mail back that you have not got time to do, using the proper cutting off procedure. The more the better.
Contrarily, should everything go smoothly, and no problems arise, all mail is cleared... It's you they'll come for next time, when they need a "body" to cover that walk no one really knows.
The more difficult you are, the less you're messed about. Took me fifteen years to learn that rule.
Good luck mate.
-
NewPostieUK
- Posts: 2104
- Joined: 06 Jan 2008, 21:38
- Gender: Male
- Location: SickAsAChipLand
Re: reserve nerves...
Just turn up at your normal time and ask your manager who is training you?
Only the odd person in my office is asked to do a duty blind. Reserves get trained on a handful of duties and stick to them.
Only the odd person in my office is asked to do a duty blind. Reserves get trained on a handful of duties and stick to them.
-
Jpro747
- Posts: 1342
- Joined: 23 Dec 2012, 10:22
- Gender: Male
Re: reserve nerves...
Whatever happened to training? We used to get two days training to learn a round, then it went to one and now its just throw them on it and hope for the best 
-
MrJordan
- Posts: 9
- Joined: 16 Jan 2016, 16:54
- Gender: Male
Re: reserve nerves...
When I started in September I was put in six different walks in six weeks, thrown straight into the walks with no training. It's all well and good when you have a nice partner to show you around but when you're put on a HCT around town it's horrible for a new person. I've seen a couple of new guys come in since then and the same has happened with them, and of course they cave in to the pressure from managers just as I do because we're still on probation.Jpro747 wrote:Whatever happened to training? We used to get two days training to learn a round, then it went to one and now its just throw them on it and hope for the best
One poor sod wasn't even told that he could claim overtime and that he HAD to take all his mail and finish when he finishes.
-
NewPostieUK
- Posts: 2104
- Joined: 06 Jan 2008, 21:38
- Gender: Male
- Location: SickAsAChipLand
Re: reserve nerves...
I've been asked a couple of times to do a walk blind, and refused. How can I? I haven't been trained. I don't know where anything is, how to get there, never been to that area before in my life etc etc.
The only time I agreed, I took out HALF the walk, and finished bang on time, and brought loads back that I couldn't find.
The only time I agreed, I took out HALF the walk, and finished bang on time, and brought loads back that I couldn't find.
-
greengiant
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1268
- Joined: 24 Mar 2014, 19:40
- Gender: Male
Re: reserve nerves...
I take it you don't do deliveries in other offices, in other towns you haven't got a clue about? I've done that a few times now, certainly makes for an interesting day.NewPostieUK wrote:I've been asked a couple of times to do a walk blind, and refused. How can I? I haven't been trained. I don't know where anything is, how to get there, never been to that area before in my life etc etc.
The only time I agreed, I took out HALF the walk, and finished bang on time, and brought loads back that I couldn't find.
-
Drloomis
- Posts: 7
- Joined: 15 Nov 2015, 18:31
- Gender: Male
Re: reserve nerves...
just as an aside, I started using the viaMichelin app a few months ago because it has house numbers on it. Very useful if you are on a new route and don't know where house numbers start. I've not used Google Maps since.