ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

The groin hernia??

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
postiewhite
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 619
Joined: 23 Jul 2013, 18:38
Gender: Male

The groin hernia??

Post by postiewhite »

Im pretty sure i'm in the beginning stages of a groin hernia. I had one 20 odd years ago so I know the signs although the hernia its not properly broken through yet but for a couple of months I can feel the pulling so i'm off to the docs on friday. I'm not sure if the doc will do anything apart from tell me to wear support (truss) but surely the long term thing is to have the op.
What's the procedure regarding work? I know its all keyhole surgery nowadays but when I had mine done I was put to sleep and was given a inch and a half scar and was told I couldn't put any pressure at all (not even slight lifting) for 4-6 weeks. Are we expected to return asap on light duties? Surely a minimum of a 2 week rest is the best way for the to heal but I guess that's upto the doc.
Hammer59
Posts: 33
Joined: 24 Mar 2011, 19:50
Gender: Male

Re: The groin hernia??

Post by Hammer59 »

Postie in one of our rural offices was convinced he had a hernia but turned out to be arthritis in his hips.
postiewhite
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 619
Joined: 23 Jul 2013, 18:38
Gender: Male

Re: The groin hernia??

Post by postiewhite »

Hammer59 wrote:Postie in one of our rural offices was convinced he had a hernia but turned out to be arthritis in his hips.

Oh thanks for that, i'll mention that to the doctor. :d'oh!
spen
Posts: 531
Joined: 18 Jan 2011, 19:53
Gender: Male

Re: The groin hernia??

Post by spen »

Iv got a double hernia, saw specialist,,, the advice nowadays apparently is if its not causing discomfort or pain to leave it as it is
rehabron
Posts: 1372
Joined: 01 Jul 2012, 18:43
Gender: Male

Re: The groin hernia??

Post by rehabron »

Sounds like you have the makings of an inguinal hernia and due to the nature of your work a truss would only temporarily disguise the pain discomfort and the best treatment is a laparoscopy ( keyhole surgery) which inserts a gauze within the abdomen wall. Should be released within 24 hours of surgery if no complications, no driving for 1 week and hospital should issue a medical certificate for 6/8 weeks. Return to work should be phased by a rehabilitation programme eventually leading to a full return to normal duties.
postie0000
Posts: 21
Joined: 30 Jun 2013, 10:49
Gender: Male

Re: The groin hernia??

Post by postie0000 »

I had 6 weeks before I went back doc done me sick note
bloodnut555
Posts: 1
Joined: 23 Sep 2009, 18:20
Gender: Male

Re: The groin hernia??

Post by bloodnut555 »

I had op May last year not keyhole was in agony for about 2 weeks after about 4 weeks could start walking properly again but needed 6 weeks off to fully recover came back on 1/4 delvery for a week 1/2 for a week then 3/4 for a week still had sharp pain in groin when put any stress on it for about 4 months or so after slowly getting better but so glad I had the op as I was struggled with it for 4 months with it before op
CPTNemoUK
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 707
Joined: 03 Oct 2013, 10:13
Gender: Male

Re: The groin hernia??

Post by CPTNemoUK »

bloodnut555 wrote:I had op May last year not keyhole was in agony for about 2 weeks after about 4 weeks could start walking properly again but needed 6 weeks off to fully recover came back on 1/4 delvery for a week 1/2 for a week then 3/4 for a week still had sharp pain in groin when put any stress on it for about 4 months or so after slowly getting better but so glad I had the op as I was struggled with it for 4 months with it before op
Same thing with me had a op last may. I was cut open 16 staples :shock: . Had a month off 2 weeks indoor then a row one week the two next and so on and so forth till I was back on full duty.
postiewhite
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 619
Joined: 23 Jul 2013, 18:38
Gender: Male

Re: The groin hernia??

Post by postiewhite »

Update.
Been to the doctors and hes pretty sure its a hernia. Im just waiting for the hospital appointment to have a scan now to confirm it then back to the docs to discuss the next step. I havent had any real issues with it but with my job (yes we use trolleys but we do also need to lift, ie putting bags in the van or pulling the last loop bag out of the back of the van etc) which will put some sort of pressure on the hernia. Would the advise be to have it repaired If you were in my shoes? i mean its not gonna go away on its own. There is my health to consider,possible strangulation to the hernia but we are very short staffed too and id probably be out a month plus weeks of light duties. Im also a reserve (although a perm contract) but i suppose I shouldnt worry about that. Doctor did say it will be keyhole surgery.