ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
A growing problem ?
-
comeracing
- Posts: 806
- Joined: 28 Nov 2010, 20:58
- Gender: Male
A growing problem ?
Ive had a few dog bites here and there over the years,but what really gets my pip is,when you knock on a customers door,they answer it with there knee sticking out of the door,to stop the dog getting out,why the hell don't customers shut there dogs in another room,and then answer the door.i think royal mail should send out a door to door to dog owners stating when a postie knocks at your door,your dog must be locked in another room whilst answering the door. 
-
postiewhite
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 619
- Joined: 23 Jul 2013, 18:38
- Gender: Male
Re: A growing problem ?
Its happened to me on a few occasions. I go mad with the customer and ask why they havr let the dog out.
-
aiden01
- MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
- Posts: 7001
- Joined: 27 Feb 2013, 21:43
- Gender: Male
Re: A growing problem ?
And their answer is?postiewhite wrote:Its happened to me on a few occasions. I go mad with the customer and ask why they havr let the dog out.
-
LaggyBand
- Posts: 1065
- Joined: 29 Jun 2015, 14:07
- Gender: Male
Re: A growing problem ?
What annoys me is that most customers think it's fine if a dog runs out at you and does nothing. They don't understand the apprehension some of us feel; an unknown dog barking and running towards you. Just because it doesn't bite you doesn't mean it's fine.
It should be fine to shout "AARGHHH!!!" really loud and out of nowhere back towards the customer, so that they can truly appreciate physical injury is not always needed.
It should be fine to shout "AARGHHH!!!" really loud and out of nowhere back towards the customer, so that they can truly appreciate physical injury is not always needed.
-
steve1873
- Posts: 800
- Joined: 08 Oct 2007, 13:55
Re: A growing problem ?
Usually I would imagine, if anything like customers I have encountered over the years "Oh he/ she wont touch you son!". Usually after it has bounded up to me and jumped up, pawing me in the balls!aiden01 wrote:And their answer is?postiewhite wrote:Its happened to me on a few occasions. I go mad with the customer and ask why they havr let the dog out.
-
aiden01
- MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
- Posts: 7001
- Joined: 27 Feb 2013, 21:43
- Gender: Male
Re: A growing problem ?
Report them to Dom and if nothing done simply write dal on their mail and hopefully they will take hint when they are not getting any mail.steve1873 wrote:Usually I would imagine, if anything like customers I have encountered over the years "Oh he/ she wont touch you son!". Usually after it has bounded up to me and jumped up, pawing me in the balls!aiden01 wrote:And their answer is?postiewhite wrote:Its happened to me on a few occasions. I go mad with the customer and ask why they havr let the dog out.
-
mancpat
- Posts: 85
- Joined: 09 Feb 2010, 12:36
- Gender: Male
Re: A growing problem ?
"Oooo don't mind him. He'll lick you to death" is a favouriteaiden01 wrote:And their answer is?postiewhite wrote:Its happened to me on a few occasions. I go mad with the customer and ask why they havr let the dog out.
-
motherhubbard
- Posts: 1001
- Joined: 08 Feb 2010, 17:13
- Gender: Female
- Location: in the cupboard
Re: A growing problem ?
During our training a few years back we were told to politely hold the door shut and ask the customer (presumably through the letter box) to put the dog away in a room.comeracing wrote:Ive had a few dog bites here and there over the years,but what really gets my pip is,when you knock on a customers door,they answer it with there knee sticking out of the door,to stop the dog getting out,why the hell don't customers shut there dogs in another room,and then answer the door.i think royal mail should send out a door to door to dog owners stating when a postie knocks at your door,your dog must be locked in another room whilst answering the door.
Normally after the first time they get the hint and automatically put the dog somewhere safe before opening the door. It is almost a Pavlovian response.
But as said you needn't worry because they don't bite.
Never let the hand you hold, hold you down.
-
richiebroon
- Posts: 58
- Joined: 21 Oct 2014, 18:48
- Gender: Male
Re: A growing problem ?
I've had this loads of times. My response is "well he won't touch you, you feed the thing!"steve1873 wrote:aiden01 wrote:And their answer is?postiewhite wrote:Its happened to me on a few occasions. I go mad with the customer and ask why they havr let the dog out.
Usually I would imagine, if anything like customers I have encountered over the years "Oh he/ she wont touch you son!". Usually after it has bounded up to me and jumped up, pawing me in the balls!
-
trevjim
- Posts: 170
- Joined: 05 Dec 2012, 20:04
- Gender: Male
Re: A growing problem ?
the flip side to this, is when you know the dog is friendly, and they spend ages trying to get it into another room leaving you standing there for ages
-
Spigot bearing
- Posts: 83
- Joined: 18 Dec 2015, 16:22
- Gender: Male
Re: A growing problem ?
It's rude and inconsiderate.
-
redneck
- Posts: 788
- Joined: 04 Jan 2010, 20:28
- Gender: Male
Re: A growing problem ?
My former park and loop partner loves dogs, so much so he always tried to be Dr 'Doolittle' or dog whisperer tye with all canine fiends. Result - four dog bites and off sick.
-
Surreypostie
- Posts: 999
- Joined: 04 Aug 2013, 21:05
- Gender: Male
Re: A growing problem ?
RM do have a letter they can send out to customers asking them to do exactly that. They also point out in the letter the consequences of any further problems.
-
Dorset Plodder
- Posts: 4351
- Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
- Gender: Male
Re: A growing problem ?
I LOVE DOGS!
Especially Barbecued!
In reality I hate the Bloody Four Legged s**t Machines. I didn't really like them before I was a Postie but now all I have to hear is that annoying yapping from the front window, with some scabby mongrel jumping up & down the nets, trying to rip them down... and feel like screaming! 
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
-
stan_lers
- Posts: 136
- Joined: 04 Nov 2014, 21:52
- Gender: Male
Re: A growing problem ?
steve1873 wrote:Usually I would imagine, if anything like customers I have encountered over the years "Oh he/ she wont touch you son!". Usually after it has bounded up to me and jumped up, pawing me in the balls!
I got bit twice by the same dog, which also bit another postie and a few leafleters. The owner still insisted he was harmless and that he'd never hurt anyone when I still had a mark on my leg from the last time it bit me.