ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

A growing problem ?

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
comeracing
Posts: 806
Joined: 28 Nov 2010, 20:58
Gender: Male

A growing problem ?

Post by comeracing »

Ive had a few dog bites here and there over the years,but what really gets my pip is,when you knock on a customers door,they answer it with there knee sticking out of the door,to stop the dog getting out,why the hell don't customers shut there dogs in another room,and then answer the door.i think royal mail should send out a door to door to dog owners stating when a postie knocks at your door,your dog must be locked in another room whilst answering the door. :mad
postiewhite
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 619
Joined: 23 Jul 2013, 18:38
Gender: Male

Re: A growing problem ?

Post by postiewhite »

Its happened to me on a few occasions. I go mad with the customer and ask why they havr let the dog out.
aiden01
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 7001
Joined: 27 Feb 2013, 21:43
Gender: Male

Re: A growing problem ?

Post by aiden01 »

postiewhite wrote:Its happened to me on a few occasions. I go mad with the customer and ask why they havr let the dog out.
And their answer is?
LaggyBand
Posts: 1065
Joined: 29 Jun 2015, 14:07
Gender: Male

Re: A growing problem ?

Post by LaggyBand »

What annoys me is that most customers think it's fine if a dog runs out at you and does nothing. They don't understand the apprehension some of us feel; an unknown dog barking and running towards you. Just because it doesn't bite you doesn't mean it's fine.

It should be fine to shout "AARGHHH!!!" really loud and out of nowhere back towards the customer, so that they can truly appreciate physical injury is not always needed.
steve1873
Posts: 800
Joined: 08 Oct 2007, 13:55

Re: A growing problem ?

Post by steve1873 »

aiden01 wrote:
postiewhite wrote:Its happened to me on a few occasions. I go mad with the customer and ask why they havr let the dog out.
And their answer is?
Usually I would imagine, if anything like customers I have encountered over the years "Oh he/ she wont touch you son!". Usually after it has bounded up to me and jumped up, pawing me in the balls!
aiden01
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 7001
Joined: 27 Feb 2013, 21:43
Gender: Male

Re: A growing problem ?

Post by aiden01 »

steve1873 wrote:
aiden01 wrote:
postiewhite wrote:Its happened to me on a few occasions. I go mad with the customer and ask why they havr let the dog out.
And their answer is?
Usually I would imagine, if anything like customers I have encountered over the years "Oh he/ she wont touch you son!". Usually after it has bounded up to me and jumped up, pawing me in the balls!
Report them to Dom and if nothing done simply write dal on their mail and hopefully they will take hint when they are not getting any mail.
mancpat
Posts: 85
Joined: 09 Feb 2010, 12:36
Gender: Male

Re: A growing problem ?

Post by mancpat »

aiden01 wrote:
postiewhite wrote:Its happened to me on a few occasions. I go mad with the customer and ask why they havr let the dog out.
And their answer is?
"Oooo don't mind him. He'll lick you to death" is a favourite
motherhubbard
Posts: 1001
Joined: 08 Feb 2010, 17:13
Gender: Female
Location: in the cupboard

Re: A growing problem ?

Post by motherhubbard »

comeracing wrote:Ive had a few dog bites here and there over the years,but what really gets my pip is,when you knock on a customers door,they answer it with there knee sticking out of the door,to stop the dog getting out,why the hell don't customers shut there dogs in another room,and then answer the door.i think royal mail should send out a door to door to dog owners stating when a postie knocks at your door,your dog must be locked in another room whilst answering the door. :mad
During our training a few years back we were told to politely hold the door shut and ask the customer (presumably through the letter box) to put the dog away in a room.
Normally after the first time they get the hint and automatically put the dog somewhere safe before opening the door. It is almost a Pavlovian response.
But as said you needn't worry because they don't bite.
Never let the hand you hold, hold you down.
richiebroon
Posts: 58
Joined: 21 Oct 2014, 18:48
Gender: Male

Re: A growing problem ?

Post by richiebroon »

steve1873 wrote:
aiden01 wrote:
postiewhite wrote:Its happened to me on a few occasions. I go mad with the customer and ask why they havr let the dog out.
And their answer is?


Usually I would imagine, if anything like customers I have encountered over the years "Oh he/ she wont touch you son!". Usually after it has bounded up to me and jumped up, pawing me in the balls!
I've had this loads of times. My response is "well he won't touch you, you feed the thing!"
trevjim
Posts: 170
Joined: 05 Dec 2012, 20:04
Gender: Male

Re: A growing problem ?

Post by trevjim »

the flip side to this, is when you know the dog is friendly, and they spend ages trying to get it into another room leaving you standing there for ages
Spigot bearing
Posts: 83
Joined: 18 Dec 2015, 16:22
Gender: Male

Re: A growing problem ?

Post by Spigot bearing »

It's rude and inconsiderate.
redneck
Posts: 788
Joined: 04 Jan 2010, 20:28
Gender: Male

Re: A growing problem ?

Post by redneck »

My former park and loop partner loves dogs, so much so he always tried to be Dr 'Doolittle' or dog whisperer tye with all canine fiends. Result - four dog bites and off sick.
Surreypostie
Posts: 999
Joined: 04 Aug 2013, 21:05
Gender: Male

Re: A growing problem ?

Post by Surreypostie »

RM do have a letter they can send out to customers asking them to do exactly that. They also point out in the letter the consequences of any further problems.
Dorset Plodder
Posts: 4351
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
Gender: Male

Re: A growing problem ?

Post by Dorset Plodder »

I LOVE DOGS! :Very Happy Especially Barbecued! :dance In reality I hate the Bloody Four Legged s**t Machines. I didn't really like them before I was a Postie but now all I have to hear is that annoying yapping from the front window, with some scabby mongrel jumping up & down the nets, trying to rip them down... and feel like screaming! :mad
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
stan_lers
Posts: 136
Joined: 04 Nov 2014, 21:52
Gender: Male

Re: A growing problem ?

Post by stan_lers »

steve1873 wrote:Usually I would imagine, if anything like customers I have encountered over the years "Oh he/ she wont touch you son!". Usually after it has bounded up to me and jumped up, pawing me in the balls!

I got bit twice by the same dog, which also bit another postie and a few leafleters. The owner still insisted he was harmless and that he'd never hurt anyone when I still had a mark on my leg from the last time it bit me.