ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Well that's me almost done

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
presario
Posts: 13
Joined: 23 Mar 2011, 12:38
Gender: Male

Well that's me almost done

Post by presario »

Well I am near the point of hanging me boots up, been with Royal Mail since 1972 seen the best years as have four of my colleagues who are also running to the door. Got an offer of EVR a little while back and since nights (my normal job) has been done away with and our small fleet of 740cf work is also being taken over it left little by way of options for me or the other four to carry on, don't think any of us could do deliveries as they are now. So at just over 60 I am calling time, :wave had a health scare 2 years back and suffer quite badly with osteoarthritis in me hips, its no fun these days though I will miss the craic with the lads but it's time I think. Had my offer which I accepted and waiting for final date and paperwork after which I can relax I hope :nana

Have to say though over the 40 odd years I have had the good fortune to work with some good guys and truly enjoyed it, that feeling was still there until some 10 years ago when the business started to change, I know it had to happen eventually it just could not survive as it was but at this moment I think it's a mess and feel for all the guys left especially on deliveries.

Hoping to take a few months R&R before deciding what if anything I want to do going forward, the wife has already drawn me a list of jobs :shock: I simply told her ¡Mañana, mañana! ....... :cuppa

Good Luck to all of you who are left carrying the can on any given rainy day I shall think of you ......just as I roll over :left: :chuckle
This is the Night Mail crossing the border Bringing the cheque and the postal order. them were the days :-/
dennis12
Posts: 37
Joined: 18 Jun 2013, 19:46
Gender: Male

Re: Well that's me almost done

Post by dennis12 »

All the best comrade :nana
glenfiddich
Posts: 1012
Joined: 03 Oct 2007, 13:15

Re: Well that's me almost done

Post by glenfiddich »

have fun and enjoy yourself :Applause
pj2001
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 76
Joined: 27 Jun 2012, 20:37
Gender: Male

Re: Well that's me almost done

Post by pj2001 »

Good luck mate, I was in the same boat as you with 36 years in was offered and took evr last year. Miss the lads miss the banter , don't miss the aches and pains of delivery or the fact royal mail treats its workers badly as it heads down the toilet.
malcolm3011
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 303
Joined: 05 Aug 2010, 18:42
Gender: Male

Re: Well that's me almost done

Post by malcolm3011 »

I was offered EVR last April having worked there for 28 years, like you say i miss my work colleagues and get to visit the office when i can, but i will say i have never been happier since i left and feel alot more relaxed now so good luck to you for the future and am sure you made the right decision. :thumbup
Postie45
Posts: 2160
Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 23:05
Gender: Male

Re: Well that's me almost done

Post by Postie45 »

best wishes, youre making the right decision !
presario
Posts: 13
Joined: 23 Mar 2011, 12:38
Gender: Male

Well that's me almost done

Post by presario »

Like to thank everyone for the good wishes, this has taken a bit longer than I anticipated but finally got my paperwork to sign and my notice commenced 19/2/16 with a finishing date of 26/3/16 which means that royal mail on top of the EVR package are going to pay me for the time to complete my notice, which is handy :nana. Five of us are leaving altogether it accounts for about 210 years in total between us which made my head hurt when I figured it out :shock:

Can help but feel so much more relaxed about things, I can't say it has been a bad place to work but over the last ten, fifteen years it has changed and us old guys don't fit the way Royal Mail is going forward.... anyway I have one last question if I may call on the brains round here, in the paperwork it states that any accrued leave must be taken before the finishing date 26/3/16 or it will be lost and no payment can or will be made in lieu of it. So my question is simple I have one weeks leave left of last years annual leave the week after next which I will be taking, what I cannot figure out is have I accrued any leave for next year (I have booked 6 weeks from April spread over various dates, was told to book it by the manager ) but my feeling is that would not count or only some of it any ideas ???? Not being greedy but if I can take some time off before the final day I have some family things that need sorting and could put the time to good use.
This is the Night Mail crossing the border Bringing the cheque and the postal order. them were the days :-/
aposter
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 205
Joined: 23 Feb 2013, 16:21
Gender: Male

Well that's me almost done

Post by aposter »

No. We run april to april so if you bugger off before 1/4/16 no more annual leave will be accrued.