ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Am I taking the mick?
-
MrJordan
- Posts: 9
- Joined: 16 Jan 2016, 16:54
- Gender: Male
Am I taking the mick?
Hey, I was told of this site by my partner the other day. I just want to ask this because of a comment I got from a manager.
I started with RM at the start of September and all was going well, I was put on a walk that I was told I'd be on for a while which was great.
I broke my foot *outside* of work at the end of November and returned to work 10 days ago. Dr told me four weeks phased back into work and the managers agreed and I went onto light duties for a few days. I felt o.k and pretty confident that I could go back to my full duty and asked to do so. It's been four days since then and the pain has been awful and I struggled through today. In hindsight, I was incredibly naive.
Was I really taking the p*** by asking to return to a duty and then complaining that I was in pain?
I started with RM at the start of September and all was going well, I was put on a walk that I was told I'd be on for a while which was great.
I broke my foot *outside* of work at the end of November and returned to work 10 days ago. Dr told me four weeks phased back into work and the managers agreed and I went onto light duties for a few days. I felt o.k and pretty confident that I could go back to my full duty and asked to do so. It's been four days since then and the pain has been awful and I struggled through today. In hindsight, I was incredibly naive.
Was I really taking the p*** by asking to return to a duty and then complaining that I was in pain?
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72727
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Re: Am I taking the mick?
No you weren't but it was understandably naive to think the bosses wouldn't take it personally. We have some very good managers indeed, and some would be outclassed by a gorilla that talks to a banana.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
crazyshrew
- Posts: 584
- Joined: 19 Jun 2011, 16:58
- Gender: Female
- Location: Coastal, South West
Re: Am I taking the mick?
You weren't taking the mick but as you now realise you were quite naive in ignoring the docs advice and thinking you could go on to do a full duty so soon.
I injured my foot a while back (no-one would agree if it was a break or "just" a soft tissue injury but very painful), and was off for a couple of weeks,then light duties for a couple of weeks then Christmas hit so I got to stay indoors for the duration, then I started working my way up to full delivery.
so..
week 1 and 2 - Off
weeks 3 - 8 - indoors - As the weeks went by I was experiencing less and less pain until I was convinced it was fine and I was begging to be allowed outside again
Week 9 - 1 row, not too bad
Week 10 - 2 rows, would not have managed any more
week 11 - 3 rows, things stared hurting a bit here but not too bad
week 12+ - full walk, would never have completed at my normal pace, had to take it very slow and steady but gradually got better.
The point I'm trying to make is, more for anyone else thinking about trying to rush things, DON'T! build up little by little
I injured my foot a while back (no-one would agree if it was a break or "just" a soft tissue injury but very painful), and was off for a couple of weeks,then light duties for a couple of weeks then Christmas hit so I got to stay indoors for the duration, then I started working my way up to full delivery.
so..
week 1 and 2 - Off
weeks 3 - 8 - indoors - As the weeks went by I was experiencing less and less pain until I was convinced it was fine and I was begging to be allowed outside again
Week 9 - 1 row, not too bad
Week 10 - 2 rows, would not have managed any more
week 11 - 3 rows, things stared hurting a bit here but not too bad
week 12+ - full walk, would never have completed at my normal pace, had to take it very slow and steady but gradually got better.
The point I'm trying to make is, more for anyone else thinking about trying to rush things, DON'T! build up little by little
-
MrJordan
- Posts: 9
- Joined: 16 Jan 2016, 16:54
- Gender: Male
Re: Am I taking the mick?
So asking to be put back onto light duties is a reasonable request?TrueBlueTerrier wrote:No you weren't but it was understandably naive to think the bosses wouldn't take it personally. We have some very good managers indeed, and some would be outclassed by a gorilla that talks to a banana.
Because I joined in end of September I've still got 10 weeks until my probation ends, I didn't want to cause any hassle but it's also not worth damaging myself further than I already have.
I heard of one guy being sacked after just a stage 1, which I believe I am on but was told not to worry about that as long as I don't go off sick again.
-
Pompey Boy
- Posts: 428
- Joined: 14 Jul 2009, 22:30
- Gender: Male
Re: Am I taking the mick?
Yes you were incredibly naive and have underestimated how difficult walks can be during ill health/winter/Xmas. ATOS?MrJordan wrote:Hey, I was told of this site by my partner the other day. I just want to ask this because of a comment I got from a manager.
I started with RM at the start of September and all was going well, I was put on a walk that I was told I'd be on for a while which was great.
I broke my foot *outside* of work at the end of November and returned to work 10 days ago. Dr told me four weeks phased back into work and the managers agreed and I went onto light duties for a few days. I felt o.k and pretty confident that I could go back to my full duty and asked to do so. It's been four days since then and the pain has been awful and I struggled through today. In hindsight, I was incredibly naive.
Was I really taking the p*** by asking to return to a duty and then complaining that I was in pain?
How much worse can it get? A LOT F****** WORSE !!!
-
Nondescript
- Posts: 232
- Joined: 29 Nov 2013, 16:25
- Gender: Male
Re: Am I taking the mick?
Whatever you decide remember to take into account this single indisputable fact:
None of your managers give the slightest flying f*** about your health.
Hope that helps
None of your managers give the slightest flying f*** about your health.
Hope that helps
-
bustedflush
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1493
- Joined: 16 Feb 2013, 11:19
- Gender: Male
Re: Am I taking the mick?
I was told by DIM the maximum period for amended duties if you are injured is 6 weeks, then they can get you IH'd.
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72727
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Re: Am I taking the mick?
Sacked after a stage 1 is very unusual. When I was a trialist I was on one for an ankle injury, like you I went back too early because I wasn't being paid. It was a mistake I am still paying for now because I made the injury worse.MrJordan wrote:So asking to be put back onto light duties is a reasonable request?TrueBlueTerrier wrote:No you weren't but it was understandably naive to think the bosses wouldn't take it personally. We have some very good managers indeed, and some would be outclassed by a gorilla that talks to a banana.
Because I joined in end of September I've still got 10 weeks until my probation ends, I didn't want to cause any hassle but it's also not worth damaging myself further than I already have.
I heard of one guy being sacked after just a stage 1, which I believe I am on but was told not to worry about that as long as I don't go off sick again.
It would be a reasonable request to ask for light duties or for a referral to OH Assist, but if you are in the Union then speak to the rep first and get their advice. They will have an idea of the local situation and personalities so will be able to judge your particular situation better.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
bogstandard
- Posts: 1074
- Joined: 08 Nov 2007, 06:16
Re: Am I taking the mick?
the business will let you over rule any return to work plan as its your body and you know best.MrJordan wrote:Hey, I was told of this site by my partner the other day. I just want to ask this because of a comment I got from a manager.
I started with RM at the start of September and all was going well, I was put on a walk that I was told I'd be on for a while which was great.
I broke my foot *outside* of work at the end of November and returned to work 10 days ago. Dr told me four weeks phased back into work and the managers agreed and I went onto light duties for a few days. I felt o.k and pretty confident that I could go back to my full duty and asked to do so. It's been four days since then and the pain has been awful and I struggled through today. In hindsight, I was incredibly naive.
Was I really taking the p*** by asking to return to a duty and then complaining that I was in pain?
Confused... You won't be, after the next episode of. SOAP
-
greengiant
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1268
- Joined: 24 Mar 2014, 19:40
- Gender: Male
Re: Am I taking the mick?
bustedflush wrote:I was told by DIM the maximum period for amended duties if you are injured is 6 weeks, then they can get you IH'd.
I'll be 5 weeks light duties in a weeks time, following knee surgery in november.
-
aiden01
- MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
- Posts: 7001
- Joined: 27 Feb 2013, 21:43
- Gender: Male
Re: Am I taking the mick?
Total bollocks personally had a rehab duty that lasted just over 3 months with help of oh assistbustedflush wrote:I was told by DIM the maximum period for amended duties if you are injured is 6 weeks, then they can get you IH'd.
-
Darren Bent
- Posts: 2150
- Joined: 05 Oct 2007, 15:38
- Gender: Male
- Location: Pride Park, Derby, DE24 8XL
Re: Am I taking the mick?
I reckon RM will get rid of you when they have a 3/6 months review but that depends on the managers or Dom discretion.
-
LaggyBand
- Posts: 1065
- Joined: 29 Jun 2015, 14:07
- Gender: Male
Re: Am I taking the mick?
HilariousNondescript wrote:Whatever you decide remember to take into account this single indisputable fact:
None of your managers give the slightest flying f*** about your health.
Hope that helps