ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Time off for job interviews

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
eggraidonmojo
Posts: 120
Joined: 06 Nov 2012, 16:44
Gender: Male

Time off for job interviews

Post by eggraidonmojo »

Apologies if the answer to this has already been posted, but I am wondering if I am entitled to take time off (unpaid, I imagine) for a job interview at another firm.

The interview is on a specific date/time and cant be moved.

I would rather tell my manager and take the day off - offering to work my rest day in exchange - than just calling in sick.

What's the best way of approaching this?

My line manager is an alright guy and is usually okay with things like this - but if he says no, that'd be annoying if there is nothing I can do!
spen
Posts: 531
Joined: 18 Jan 2011, 19:53
Gender: Male

Re: Time off for job interviews

Post by spen »

Tell them you have a hospital appointment
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72727
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: Time off for job interviews

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

AM I ALLOWED TIME OFF TO ATTEND A JOB INTERVIEW? https://worksmart.org.uk/work-rights/ho ... -interview" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Not normally – if your employer does not operate a flexitime scheme, you will probably have to take it as annual leave. Of course, it might not be the best idea to let your employer know you're looking for other jobs by asking for time off for an interview in the first place.

Your employer may let you have time off in certain circumstances. For example, they may allow you time off if the interview is for an internal vacancy. If you are facing redundancy, and you have worked for your employer for at least two consecutive years, you are entitled to a reasonable amount of time off during your notice period to look for another job.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.