ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Replacement Footwear

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Dorset Plodder
Posts: 4351
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
Gender: Male

Replacement Footwear

Post by Dorset Plodder »

Just phoned Uniforms for some replacement YDS Trainers. "We haven't got any of them in....what about Anvil or Cat"? "No thanks the reason you've got plenty of them in stock is because they're crap"! (I'm so glad these telephone calls are recorded for training purposes).

Asked him if the New Doc Martins were in (I fancy the look of them) he said he'd heard about them but didn't know when they'd be in. Asked when they'd get some more YDS.... Expecting them in Mid February, should be able to get a pair by March. :arrrghhh FFS If an Army Marches on it's Belly then surely Royal Mail delivers on it's feet? :hmmmm

So where do I stand from a H&S perspective? I am required to replace my footwear (and the DOMs are meant to inspect them regularly) when the tread wears out.Simple :thumbup I've tried to replace them but no "Suitable" (from my point of view.... I''m susceptible to Plantars and can only get on with the YDS) replacements are available. :thumbdown I'm going to have to continue wearing my current pair and guess what the first question is going to be when I slip and go Arse over Tit? :arrrghhh
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
world class male
Posts: 903
Joined: 03 Jul 2013, 15:29
Gender: Male

Re: Replacement Footwear

Post by world class male »

Dorset Plodder wrote:Just phoned Uniforms for some replacement YDS Trainers. "We haven't got any of them in....what about Anvil or Cat"? "No thanks the reason you've got plenty of them in stock is because they're crap"! (I'm so glad these telephone calls are recorded for training purposes).

Asked him if the New Doc Martins were in (I fancy the look of them) he said he'd heard about them but didn't know when they'd be in. Asked when they'd get some more YDS.... Expecting them in Mid February, should be able to get a pair by March. :arrrghhh FFS If an Army Marches on it's Belly then surely Royal Mail delivers on it's feet? :hmmmm

So where do I stand from a H&S perspective? I am required to replace my footwear (and the DOMs are meant to inspect them regularly) when the tread wears out.Simple :thumbup I've tried to replace them but no "Suitable" (from my point of view.... I''m susceptible to Plantars and can only get on with the YDS) replacements are available. :thumbdown I'm going to have to continue wearing my current pair and guess what the first question is going to be when I slip and go Arse over Tit? :arrrghhh
guess its all down to personal preference
i've 2 pairs of hardly worn anvils & magnums, crippled me as did the yds, cats are perfect for me but hard to order, last pair was 3 months ago and already had it.
just ordered the doc boots, shoes maybe better if "going out" with them on but found the back rubbed like hell

you can claim £30 if you buy your own but not sure if you have to inform them first
ThatsNotPlumb
Posts: 165
Joined: 08 Feb 2012, 22:33
Gender: Male

Re: Replacement Footwear

Post by ThatsNotPlumb »

Dorset Plodder wrote:Just phoned Uniforms for some replacement YDS Trainers. "We haven't got any of them in....what about Anvil or Cat"? "No thanks the reason you've got plenty of them in stock is because they're crap"! (I'm so glad these telephone calls are recorded for training purposes).

Asked him if the New Doc Martins were in (I fancy the look of them) he said he'd heard about them but didn't know when they'd be in. Asked when they'd get some more YDS.... Expecting them in Mid February, should be able to get a pair by March. :arrrghhh FFS If an Army Marches on it's Belly then surely Royal Mail delivers on it's feet? :hmmmm

So where do I stand from a H&S perspective? I am required to replace my footwear (and the DOMs are meant to inspect them regularly) when the tread wears out.Simple :thumbup I've tried to replace them but no "Suitable" (from my point of view.... I''m susceptible to Plantars and can only get on with the YDS) replacements are available. :thumbdown I'm going to have to continue wearing my current pair and guess what the first question is going to be when I slip and go Arse over Tit? :arrrghhh
I wouldn't wear them if the tread was bald on areas. I wouldn't wear a pair of trainers/boots that were done nor would I wear a pair that was uncomfortable given that I'm going to be in them for 5+ hours a day.

I've heard that they'll give you money to pick out your own pair of footwear if the ones provided are not suitable. Now I'm not sure what the protocol for determining that footwear isn't suitable is, but depending on how much of a tit your DOM is I'm sure if you explained the situation to him/her they'd try to sort you out. Last thing they'll want is you slipping wearing done footwear & being off for days/weeks/months.

Your personal H&S is as much they're responsibility as it is your own, so don't wear them if they're done.
Dorset Plodder
Posts: 4351
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
Gender: Male

Re: Replacement Footwear

Post by Dorset Plodder »

ThatsNotPlumb wrote:
I wouldn't wear them if the tread was bald on areas. I wouldn't wear a pair of trainers/boots that were done nor would I wear a pair that was uncomfortable given that I'm going to be in them for 5+ hours a day.

Your personal H&S is as much they're responsibility as it is your own, so don't wear them if they're done.
That's the point I was trying to make Plumb. No one is meant to wear worn footwear...... but if there's no replacements available, whats the option? Perhaps this is why you see so many Posties wearing their own footwear, as for the DOM sorting something out I don't know what he could do if they're out of stock. ... If Anyone's got a pair of size 10 YDS sat in a cupboard, because they couldn't get on with them, I'd be happy to take them off your hands! :thumbup
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
Anonymouse
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 174
Joined: 02 Jun 2012, 22:20
Gender: Male

Re: Replacement Footwear

Post by Anonymouse »

I had this problem yesterday. My current shoes are now bald and I've been waiting since the beginning of December to get a new pair sent. I brought in a pair of my own walking shoes but the manager stopped me because I didn't have a doctors note :crazy:

Well, today I went and slipped on ice so i'll be wearing my own pair tomorrow and if they tell me I can't use them then they can deliver the mail themselves.
Chelseablue
Posts: 2222
Joined: 19 Aug 2013, 14:33
Gender: Female

Re: Replacement Footwear

Post by Chelseablue »

The magnums aren't great then?
dohnut
Posts: 658
Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:15
Gender: Male

Re: Replacement Footwear

Post by dohnut »

Chelseablue wrote:The magnums aren't great then?
I find they are quite comfortable, but they dont seem to last very long, just order more when you need them.
glenfiddich
Posts: 1012
Joined: 03 Oct 2007, 13:15

Re: Replacement Footwear

Post by glenfiddich »

i suffer plantars and find the anvils with the smaller insole work quite well but am quite looking forward to trying the new docs as the old docs were ok until we got the planners in and went from 3.5 hr deleveries to 6 which is slowly cripplin me :thumbdown
ThatsNotPlumb
Posts: 165
Joined: 08 Feb 2012, 22:33
Gender: Male

Re: Replacement Footwear

Post by ThatsNotPlumb »

Dorset Plodder wrote:
ThatsNotPlumb wrote:
I wouldn't wear them if the tread was bald on areas. I wouldn't wear a pair of trainers/boots that were done nor would I wear a pair that was uncomfortable given that I'm going to be in them for 5+ hours a day.

Your personal H&S is as much they're responsibility as it is your own, so don't wear them if they're done.
That's the point I was trying to make Plumb. No one is meant to wear worn footwear...... but if there's no replacements available, whats the option? Perhaps this is why you see so many Posties wearing their own footwear, as for the DOM sorting something out I don't know what he could do if they're out of stock. ... If Anyone's got a pair of size 10 YDS sat in a cupboard, because they couldn't get on with them, I'd be happy to take them off your hands! :thumbup
I mean the DOM might be able to sort out that they give you money to buy your own selected shoes which they do on occasion depending on the circumstances. I believe, but don't quote me, they give you £40(?) & you can buy your own footwear. BUT I'm not sure what the actual circumstances are for getting this, it could be that they'll only do it if you have some sort of medical reason that you can't wear the shoes RM provides.. then again you could just say that the other shoes give you repeated blisters, which is a medical condition.

I wore my own trainers in for a week & when a manager asked me why I was wearing them I told him it was because the Anvil trainers were giving me a rash on the top of my foot, I presume because my feet couldn't get any air, one of the drawbacks of them being more waterproof. Was asked did I have some sort of doctors note, I said no, but I can whip my shoes & socks off & you can examine my feet yourself. Regrettably, he declined. Didn't get asked anymore about it, new boots got ordered, Anvils binned, all was good. :thumbup
greengiant
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1268
Joined: 24 Mar 2014, 19:40
Gender: Male

Re: Replacement Footwear

Post by greengiant »

glenfiddich wrote:i suffer plantars and find the anvils with the smaller insole work quite well but am quite looking forward to trying the new docs as the old docs were ok until we got the planners in and went from 3.5 hr deleveries to 6 which is slowly cripplin me :thumbdown
Have you seen a podiatrist (through NHS / private?) I've had issues with plantar fasciitis in the past, very rarely a problem now as long as I wear my orthotics.
Fishyfingers
Posts: 162
Joined: 05 Jan 2007, 22:04
Location: Highland

Re: Replacement Footwear

Post by Fishyfingers »

Find the Cat boots take an age to break in, wore them a few days round the house didn't help much, still rubbed my legs sore and ended up making a hole in my heal.
aiden01
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 7001
Joined: 27 Feb 2013, 21:43
Gender: Male

Re: Replacement Footwear

Post by aiden01 »

greengiant wrote:
glenfiddich wrote:i suffer plantars and find the anvils with the smaller insole work quite well but am quite looking forward to trying the new docs as the old docs were ok until we got the planners in and went from 3.5 hr deleveries to 6 which is slowly cripplin me :thumbdown
Have you seen a podiatrist (through NHS / private?) I've had issues with plantar fasciitis in the past, very rarely a problem now as long as I wear my orthotics.
Same here £50 for orthotics best money ever spent also RM give you £30 towards new trainers would personally say karimoor trainers are the most comfortable
Dorset Plodder
Posts: 4351
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
Gender: Male

Re: Replacement Footwear

Post by Dorset Plodder »

Fishyfingers wrote:Find the Cat boots take an age to break in, wore them a few days round the house didn't help much, still rubbed my legs sore and ended up making a hole in my heal.
An old Army trick for breaking in any sort of Leather boots is to sit in the bath wearing them....get them soaking wet and then walk about in them....Repeat. Not very comfortable doing it in the Winter admittedly! Don't forget to dry them properly....Stuffed with old newspapers and away from DIRECT heat (Not sat on top of the radiator....They'll end up looking like Turkish Slippers) :thumbup
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
DB1100
Posts: 1976
Joined: 10 Sep 2007, 14:30

Re: Replacement Footwear

Post by DB1100 »

If you look in the H&S section on this forum I've outlined what you have to do to be able to wear your own shoe's,I get no problems at all now and I just replace them when needed and up to £30.00 is repaid to me very quickly,I have had 3 pairs in less than a year,good luck.
For we were soldiers once,and young
t3mcIUQWE2
Posts: 137
Joined: 24 Oct 2015, 17:04
Gender: Male

Re: Replacement Footwear

Post by t3mcIUQWE2 »

If they can't supply your shoes, refuse to go out. That's what I do. Of course they don't like it, but a new pair always turns up the next day.