ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

The least senior postie gets his own duty!!!!

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
postiewhite
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 619
Joined: 23 Jul 2013, 18:38
Gender: Male

The least senior postie gets his own duty!!!!

Post by postiewhite »

..well he doesn't officially have his own duty but he has been on this duty already for 6 months, its a training duty so its never assigned to anyone. im more senior to this person,now 5 years into the job and i'm still shifted around different duties (by rights cos i'm a reserve) whilst the other guy has this duty until its lapsed again and gets set days off and so far 3-4 times as many saturday days off as me. When I asked about this I was told that he has it cos he is prepared to take other people's packets out on overtime,where I have to finish most days ontime to collect my kids, so having his own temp duty is like a reward for the extra stuff he does.. I think that's a bit wrong. Can I do anything about this or does it looke like I have to bite the bullet.? It feels a bit like discrimination to me. :hmmmm
datasaint
Posts: 1541
Joined: 22 Sep 2008, 17:19
Gender: Male

Re: The least senior postie gets his own duty!!!!

Post by datasaint »

postiewhite wrote:..well he doesn't officially have his own duty but he has been on this duty already for 6 months, its a training duty so its never assigned to anyone. im more senior to this person,now 5 years into the job and i'm still shifted around different duties (by rights cos i'm a reserve) whilst the other guy has this duty until its lapsed again and gets set days off and so far 3-4 times as many saturday days off as me. When I asked about this I was told that he has it cos he is prepared to take other people's packets out on overtime,where I have to finish most days ontime to collect my kids, so having his own temp duty is like a reward for the extra stuff he does.. I think that's a bit wrong. Can I do anything about this or does it looke like I have to bite the bullet.? It feels a bit like discrimination to me. :hmmmm
Similar thing happening in my DO. New entrants on 20 hour contracts getting their own full time duty and are still on it 6 months later. I don't think it's favoritism, purely it's cheaper to employ them than the full timers they replaced and they want to encourage these low hour contracts to stay in the business.

By rights though it should be assigned to the most senior person.
postiewhite
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 619
Joined: 23 Jul 2013, 18:38
Gender: Male

Re: The least senior postie gets his own duty!!!!

Post by postiewhite »

norm wrote:
postiewhite wrote:..well he doesn't officially have his own duty but he has been on this duty already for 6 months, its a training duty so its never assigned to anyone. im more senior to this person,now 5 years into the job and i'm still shifted around different duties (by rights cos i'm a reserve) whilst the other guy has this duty until its lapsed again and gets set days off and so far 3-4 times as many saturday days off as me. When I asked about this I was told that he has it cos he is prepared to take other people's packets out on overtime,where I have to finish most days ontime to collect my kids, so having his own temp duty is like a reward for the extra stuff he does.. I think that's a bit wrong. Can I do anything about this or does it looke like I have to bite the bullet.? It feels a bit like discrimination to me. :hmmmm
Similar thing happening in my DO. New entrants on 20 hour contracts getting their own full time duty and are still on it 6 months later. I don't think it's favoritism, purely it's cheaper to employ them than the full timers they replaced and they want to encourage these low hour contracts to stay in the business.

By rights though it should be assigned to the most senior person.
Im on the same part time contract as the other fella though.
datasaint
Posts: 1541
Joined: 22 Sep 2008, 17:19
Gender: Male

Re: The least senior postie gets his own duty!!!!

Post by datasaint »

postiewhite wrote:
Im on the same part time contract as the other fella though.
Try and challenge it through the union, but the response you will get from management is that person is on that round for "operational needs". The fact the duty is not assigned to anyone sort of weakens you argument for moving to it.
postiewhite
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 619
Joined: 23 Jul 2013, 18:38
Gender: Male

Re: The least senior postie gets his own duty!!!!

Post by postiewhite »

I intend to. If I do get a similar answer to what you think then all favours to them are over. I won't do a minutes overtime for them again, which now I do on odd occasions even if it's 15 mins here or there.They can come out and collect me. Two can play at that game. :whistle
korky
Posts: 797
Joined: 30 Dec 2007, 09:28

Re: The least senior postie gets his own duty!!!!

Post by korky »

not sure how many vacant duties we have, a few,
1 reserve with around 4 yrs service been on one of them for about 3 years, they keep coming up with some reason why they never get advertised, but 3 years vacant?
loads of reserves with 7/8/9 years in don't get a look in (or a sat/mon off)
dave0876
Posts: 154
Joined: 19 Apr 2008, 12:09

Re: The least senior postie gets his own duty!!!!

Post by dave0876 »

Challenge it's through your rep.Rep needs to go to disagreement vacant duties must be advertised once that duty has been vacant for six months.Can't have favouritism in the work place everyone should be treated equally.
ThatsNotPlumb
Posts: 165
Joined: 08 Feb 2012, 22:33
Gender: Male

Re: The least senior postie gets his own duty!!!!

Post by ThatsNotPlumb »

Pretty sure if the duty is vacant nobody has right of preference to "sit" on the duty over someone else. It's up to managements discretion who is on it. There are duties like that in my DO, although I don't think they're labelled as "training duties", but they aren't available to be signed for because they are absorbed basically 90% of the year & this sounds like the case with the duty you are wanting to be sitting on.

Are you actually a reserve? I mean did you sign for a reserve duty? If so you've no real argument I don't feel, as a reserve has, at least in my DO to my knowledge, set duties that he/she does each day of the week ie covering people's days off, occasionally on a set duty for a week if someones on leave.
shepherdess
Posts: 445
Joined: 08 Jul 2009, 16:16
Gender: Female

Re: The least senior postie gets his own duty!!!!

Post by shepherdess »

It's a no brainer its a national agreement 6 months a vacant duty is advertised if you manager doesn't agree go to disagreement .and get in touch with either your local rep or area rep the vacancy will be on the board within weeks
Dorset Plodder
Posts: 4351
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
Gender: Male

Re: The least senior postie gets his own duty!!!!

Post by Dorset Plodder »

Good news about the the 6 months Vacancy Period. :Applause Can anyone supply a link to the appropriate agreement?

We have a BIG problem with this sort of thing in my current DO. We have a least 4 duties that fall into this category. Someone leaves or retires, another Postie's put onto it, "While we sort something out", and that's it......they remain on it for ever.

It does seem that the DOM hands out these Regular Duties to those who are willing to go over every day and don't make a fuss about lapsing. So as PW mentions it does seem to be rewarding the "Overtime Bandits" at the detriment of more Senior Posties who are simply just trying to work properly. :no no

TBH I wouldn't want some of these duties. I maybe naive but I'd just like Management to run the Business as it's meant to be. If those Duties are meant to be advertised then do it! Tough Tit if it upsets their Favourites, they're so sad they'll still continue to hoover up any overtime that's required. :arrrghhh
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
bogstandard
Posts: 1074
Joined: 08 Nov 2007, 06:16

Re: The least senior postie gets his own duty!!!!

Post by bogstandard »

the way forward agreement
Resourcing to jobs 14.6
page 27
Confused... You won't be, after the next episode of. SOAP
Dorset Plodder
Posts: 4351
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
Gender: Male

Re: The least senior postie gets his own duty!!!!

Post by Dorset Plodder »

What's the Gist of this Bogstandard? Haven't got a copy to hand! :Very Happy
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72727
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: The least senior postie gets his own duty!!!!

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

Dorset Plodder wrote:What's the Gist of this Bogstandard? Haven't got a copy to hand! :Very Happy
http://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/communit ... 36&t=11941" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
postslippete
Posts: 4194
Joined: 14 Jul 2014, 16:27
Gender: Male

Re: The least senior postie gets his own duty!!!!

Post by postslippete »

He might be good friends with the DOM :dance


I think this sort of thing goes on in most delivery offices and most Union reps can't be bothered with it.
On the face of it, shareholder value is the dumbest idea in the world.