ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
When does it get easier-4 weeks in
-
PostmanCat
- Posts: 11
- Joined: 01 Aug 2012, 12:55
- Gender: Male
When does it get easier-4 weeks in
As I enter my 4th week with the Royal Mail I'm wondering when will it get easier?
Everyone said if I stuck out Xmas it'd get easier....today tonnes of heavy catalogues/brochures, once again it was dark by the time I finished.
Does it really get easier?
Everyone said if I stuck out Xmas it'd get easier....today tonnes of heavy catalogues/brochures, once again it was dark by the time I finished.
Does it really get easier?
-
fly-catchers
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 573
- Joined: 05 Oct 2008, 16:38
- Gender: Male
Re: When does it get easier-4 weeks in
What with heavy holiday brochures, sales catalogues and the yearly bills like Council Tax & water I find that after Christmas is at least as exhausting! Not till summer does it calm down a bit and them they give you extra roads to do!! DOH!*
* But nowadays they tend to add the extra roads and calls in the winter as well...
* But nowadays they tend to add the extra roads and calls in the winter as well...
-
feduppostie
- Posts: 947
- Joined: 24 Jun 2007, 19:46
Re: When does it get easier-4 weeks in
It does get easier as you get more used to it! Stick with it we've all been there
-
Darren Bent
- Posts: 2150
- Joined: 05 Oct 2007, 15:38
- Gender: Male
- Location: Pride Park, Derby, DE24 8XL
Re: When does it get easier-4 weeks in
It will get easier as there will be less parcels and increase knowledge of area and fitness will help to get round little quicker and you will work smarter. November and December are the worse months of the job for postal workers. Stick at it.
-
arnold cheshire
- Posts: 5309
- Joined: 14 Oct 2010, 21:28
- Gender: Male
- Location: england
Re: When does it get easier-4 weeks in
It doesn't get easier you just have to use the overrunning delivery procedure
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72727
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Re: When does it get easier-4 weeks in
PostmanCat wrote:As I enter my 4th week with the Royal Mail I'm wondering when will it get easier?
Everyone said if I stuck out Xmas it'd get easier....today tonnes of heavy catalogues/brochures, once again it was dark by the time I finished.
Does it really get easier?
On average about 6 weeks in - it will happen suddenly as well. One day you'll be out on autopilot and when you check the time as you finish you'll be pleasantly surprised.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
Nondescript
- Posts: 232
- Joined: 29 Nov 2013, 16:25
- Gender: Male
Re: When does it get easier-4 weeks in
As you're noticing, the weeks after after Christmas are generally quite heavy as well, usually things tend to ease off a little in February once all the holiday brochure crap is out of the way. 
-
PostmanCat
- Posts: 11
- Joined: 01 Aug 2012, 12:55
- Gender: Male
Re: When does it get easier-4 weeks in
Good to hear that it does get easier, another day of finishing in the dark, with added rain.

-
arnold cheshire
- Posts: 5309
- Joined: 14 Oct 2010, 21:28
- Gender: Male
- Location: england
Re: When does it get easier-4 weeks in
its relentless every day good luckPostmanCat wrote:Good to hear that it does get easier, another day of finishing in the dark, with added rain.
-
chillout1571
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 82
- Joined: 19 Aug 2015, 18:25
- Gender: Male
Re: When does it get easier-4 weeks in
Depends on the round and a how your partnered. I'll be pushing 6 months soon, I can't say I love it. I just like the pay check at the end of the week. However it's not a bad job overall and once I accepted I was just going to be tired all the time after my shift. I've been okay, I also listen to podcasts on my round now to drown out the boredom. Just do what works for you.
-
Donny80
- Posts: 7
- Joined: 16 Oct 2015, 18:15
- Gender: Male
Re: When does it get easier-4 weeks in
It varies as people have said. The round, day of the week, partner... Loads of factors.
What I can say is as you do more you physically cope better. My feet were in agony for first month or two, but now I'm doing my 80+ miles a week no problem. Plus it's best beer belly killer Going! Yes the job is knackering, yes some people are arsehole but overall I love it.
What I can say is as you do more you physically cope better. My feet were in agony for first month or two, but now I'm doing my 80+ miles a week no problem. Plus it's best beer belly killer Going! Yes the job is knackering, yes some people are arsehole but overall I love it.
-
toomuchcoke
- Posts: 309
- Joined: 05 Jun 2011, 18:15
- Gender: Male
Re: When does it get easier-4 weeks in
There's the "tidal wave" of Next (& similar) catalogues in January too, plus the amount of packets doesn't seem to have dropped back to what I'd call "normal" as yet. (I suspect it's people who either got vouchers for Christmas, or didn't get what they really wanted ordering stuff?) However IIRC it quietens off by the end of January usually?Darren Bent wrote:It will get easier as there will be less parcels and increase knowledge of area and fitness will help to get round little quicker and you will work smarter. November and December are the worse months of the job for postal workers. Stick at it.
-
CAMPINGBLUNDERER
- Posts: 182
- Joined: 08 Feb 2010, 14:37
- Gender: Male
Re: When does it get easier-4 weeks in
Wait till the National Trust yearly mailing land in your office , trays upon tray stacked up by your frame ...
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72727
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Re: When does it get easier-4 weeks in
I have 2 words that will send a shudder through all posties who have been in the job at least 6 years.
Light Bulbs.
Light Bulbs.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
dohnut
- Posts: 658
- Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:15
- Gender: Male
Re: When does it get easier-4 weeks in
TrueBlueTerrier wrote:I have 2 words that will send a shudder through all posties who have been in the job at least 6 years.
Light Bulbs.
Not again?