ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Going sick 2 weeks before Christmas

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
ILoveASAP
Posts: 8
Joined: 18 Jul 2013, 13:22
Gender: Male

Going sick 2 weeks before Christmas

Post by ILoveASAP »

I haven't had any sick leave in over 2 years and I have never had time off over Christmas but this morning I had to call in with the flu. I started to feel ill on Saturday while out on my walk and my symptoms have got worse over the weekend. I spoke to a manager this morning and she was trying to get me to come in by saying it's only a cold and that I can still walk and that I will lose my bonus if I go sick. I told her it's more than a common cold and I don't want to pass my germs onto other people.
I feel like I'm being made to feel guilty about going sick but why should I? I am genuinely ill and don't feel like I will be able to perform as well and I'll just be slowing my partner down.
I'm not bothered about my bonus, if that is true. My health is more important. I feel bad for letting my work mates down more than my manager.
fishtank
Posts: 19732
Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
Gender: Male

Re: Going sick 2 weeks before Christmas

Post by fishtank »

You won't lose your bonus, that's a complete lie and if it's repeated ask for it in writing, Don't fall for their bull, they don't give a toss about you or your health, If she keeps up the harassment speak to your rep, Don't feel guilty, it's only a job, nobody dies if you don't turn up for work.
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
m456an
Posts: 12
Joined: 22 Nov 2015, 11:35
Gender: Male

Re: Going sick 2 weeks before Christmas

Post by m456an »

In this weather, is your manager mad!

When I had the flu I could not even go downstairs, the wife brought me food.

Though the second day I could.

Flu needs time to improve.

Though a cold is a different matter, that a few tablets can fix.
buntin
Posts: 100
Joined: 27 Jul 2011, 13:55
Gender: Male

Re: Going sick 2 weeks before Christmas

Post by buntin »

just tell your manager your poorly and not well enough to work so wont be in and thats that.
Bahia Feliz
Posts: 1169
Joined: 22 Sep 2008, 21:04
Gender: Male

Re: Going sick 2 weeks before Christmas

Post by Bahia Feliz »

fishtank wrote: it's only a job, nobody dies if you don't turn up for work.
If the president of the USA dropped dead the vice president would replace him in a heartbeat.If a postie goes sick it's panic stations,Strange but true don't you think? :hmmmm
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72727
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: Going sick 2 weeks before Christmas

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

Image :chuckle :chuckle :chuckle :chuckle :chuckle
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
PHARRY
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 327
Joined: 04 Nov 2013, 17:56
Gender: Male

Re: Going sick 2 weeks before Christmas

Post by PHARRY »

ILoveASAP wrote:I haven't had any sick leave in over 2 years and I have never had time off over Christmas but this morning I had to call in with the flu. I started to feel ill on Saturday while out on my walk and my symptoms have got worse over the weekend. I spoke to a manager this morning and she was trying to get me to come in by saying it's only a cold and that I can still walk and that I will lose my bonus if I go sick. I told her it's more than a common cold and I don't want to pass my germs onto other people.
I feel like I'm being made to feel guilty about going sick but why should I? I am genuinely ill and don't feel like I will be able to perform as well and I'll just be slowing my partner down.
I'm not bothered about my bonus, if that is true. My health is more important. I feel bad for letting my work mates down more than my manager.


Crafty bugger going sick before Christmas nudge nudge wink wink say no more
PHARRY
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 327
Joined: 04 Nov 2013, 17:56
Gender: Male

Re: Going sick 2 weeks before Christmas

Post by PHARRY »

Bahia Feliz wrote:
fishtank wrote: it's only a job, nobody dies if you don't turn up for work.
If the president of the USA dropped dead the vice president would replace him in a heartbeat.If a postie goes sick it's panic stations,Strange but true don't you think? :hmmmm

Pity we haven't got vice posties lol
Surreypostie
Posts: 999
Joined: 04 Aug 2013, 21:05
Gender: Male

Re: Going sick 2 weeks before Christmas

Post by Surreypostie »

Bahia Feliz wrote:
fishtank wrote: it's only a job, nobody dies if you don't turn up for work.
If the president of the USA dropped dead the vice president would replace him in a heartbeat.If a postie goes sick it's panic stations,Strange but true don't you think? :hmmmm
Just reinforces the fact that we are more valuable than the President of the USA man.
Theghost
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 417
Joined: 17 Mar 2009, 16:44
Gender: Male

Re: Going sick 2 weeks before Christmas

Post by Theghost »

ILoveASAP wrote:I haven't had any sick leave in over 2 years and I have never had time off over Christmas but this morning I had to call in with the flu. I started to feel ill on Saturday while out on my walk and my symptoms have got worse over the weekend. I spoke to a manager this morning and she was trying to get me to come in by saying it's only a cold and that I can still walk and that I will lose my bonus if I go sick. I told her it's more than a common cold and I don't want to pass my germs onto other people.
I feel like I'm being made to feel guilty about going sick but why should I? I am genuinely ill and don't feel like I will be able to perform as well and I'll just be slowing my partner down.
I'm not bothered about my bonus, if that is true. My health is more important. I feel bad for letting my work mates down more than my manager.
You wont lose your bonus,Stay off,Tell her to sod off and get well.
They will manage perfectly fine,Christmas in your town wont be cancelled because 1 postman has fallen ill.