I haven't had any sick leave in over 2 years and I have never had time off over Christmas but this morning I had to call in with the flu. I started to feel ill on Saturday while out on my walk and my symptoms have got worse over the weekend. I spoke to a manager this morning and she was trying to get me to come in by saying it's only a cold and that I can still walk and that I will lose my bonus if I go sick. I told her it's more than a common cold and I don't want to pass my germs onto other people.
I feel like I'm being made to feel guilty about going sick but why should I? I am genuinely ill and don't feel like I will be able to perform as well and I'll just be slowing my partner down.
I'm not bothered about my bonus, if that is true. My health is more important. I feel bad for letting my work mates down more than my manager.
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Going sick 2 weeks before Christmas
-
fishtank
- Posts: 19732
- Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
- Gender: Male
Re: Going sick 2 weeks before Christmas
You won't lose your bonus, that's a complete lie and if it's repeated ask for it in writing, Don't fall for their bull, they don't give a toss about you or your health, If she keeps up the harassment speak to your rep, Don't feel guilty, it's only a job, nobody dies if you don't turn up for work.
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
-
m456an
- Posts: 12
- Joined: 22 Nov 2015, 11:35
- Gender: Male
Re: Going sick 2 weeks before Christmas
In this weather, is your manager mad!
When I had the flu I could not even go downstairs, the wife brought me food.
Though the second day I could.
Flu needs time to improve.
Though a cold is a different matter, that a few tablets can fix.
When I had the flu I could not even go downstairs, the wife brought me food.
Though the second day I could.
Flu needs time to improve.
Though a cold is a different matter, that a few tablets can fix.
-
buntin
- Posts: 100
- Joined: 27 Jul 2011, 13:55
- Gender: Male
Re: Going sick 2 weeks before Christmas
just tell your manager your poorly and not well enough to work so wont be in and thats that.
-
Bahia Feliz
- Posts: 1169
- Joined: 22 Sep 2008, 21:04
- Gender: Male
Re: Going sick 2 weeks before Christmas
If the president of the USA dropped dead the vice president would replace him in a heartbeat.If a postie goes sick it's panic stations,Strange but true don't you think?fishtank wrote: it's only a job, nobody dies if you don't turn up for work.
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72727
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Re: Going sick 2 weeks before Christmas
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
PHARRY
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 327
- Joined: 04 Nov 2013, 17:56
- Gender: Male
Re: Going sick 2 weeks before Christmas
ILoveASAP wrote:I haven't had any sick leave in over 2 years and I have never had time off over Christmas but this morning I had to call in with the flu. I started to feel ill on Saturday while out on my walk and my symptoms have got worse over the weekend. I spoke to a manager this morning and she was trying to get me to come in by saying it's only a cold and that I can still walk and that I will lose my bonus if I go sick. I told her it's more than a common cold and I don't want to pass my germs onto other people.
I feel like I'm being made to feel guilty about going sick but why should I? I am genuinely ill and don't feel like I will be able to perform as well and I'll just be slowing my partner down.
I'm not bothered about my bonus, if that is true. My health is more important. I feel bad for letting my work mates down more than my manager.
Crafty bugger going sick before Christmas nudge nudge wink wink say no more
-
PHARRY
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 327
- Joined: 04 Nov 2013, 17:56
- Gender: Male
Re: Going sick 2 weeks before Christmas
Bahia Feliz wrote:If the president of the USA dropped dead the vice president would replace him in a heartbeat.If a postie goes sick it's panic stations,Strange but true don't you think?fishtank wrote: it's only a job, nobody dies if you don't turn up for work.
Pity we haven't got vice posties lol
-
Surreypostie
- Posts: 999
- Joined: 04 Aug 2013, 21:05
- Gender: Male
Re: Going sick 2 weeks before Christmas
Just reinforces the fact that we are more valuable than the President of the USA man.Bahia Feliz wrote:If the president of the USA dropped dead the vice president would replace him in a heartbeat.If a postie goes sick it's panic stations,Strange but true don't you think?fishtank wrote: it's only a job, nobody dies if you don't turn up for work.
-
Theghost
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 417
- Joined: 17 Mar 2009, 16:44
- Gender: Male
Re: Going sick 2 weeks before Christmas
You wont lose your bonus,Stay off,Tell her to sod off and get well.ILoveASAP wrote:I haven't had any sick leave in over 2 years and I have never had time off over Christmas but this morning I had to call in with the flu. I started to feel ill on Saturday while out on my walk and my symptoms have got worse over the weekend. I spoke to a manager this morning and she was trying to get me to come in by saying it's only a cold and that I can still walk and that I will lose my bonus if I go sick. I told her it's more than a common cold and I don't want to pass my germs onto other people.
I feel like I'm being made to feel guilty about going sick but why should I? I am genuinely ill and don't feel like I will be able to perform as well and I'll just be slowing my partner down.
I'm not bothered about my bonus, if that is true. My health is more important. I feel bad for letting my work mates down more than my manager.
They will manage perfectly fine,Christmas in your town wont be cancelled because 1 postman has fallen ill.