ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Quick Question

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
jimmynailsalive
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 305
Joined: 28 Dec 2013, 13:36
Gender: Male

Quick Question

Post by jimmynailsalive »

I put my notice in for 24th December but now struggling to last that long.

I have no doubt I can change it to 7 days so I'm drafting a letter requesting I will finish next Friday, so bit I need advice on is can I stipulate I will work Monday to Friday next week as I have plans for next Saturday?

Just wondering if there is anything that states the working week is Monday to Saturday and expecting major grief and pressure no doubt that I will be asked to work the saturday so would be helpful to know 100% cheers
crazyshrew
Posts: 584
Joined: 19 Jun 2011, 16:58
Gender: Female
Location: Coastal, South West

Re: Quick Question

Post by crazyshrew »

You're only required to give one weeks notice (7 days) so you could hand your notice in today, Wednesday, and your last working day would be Tuesday next week.

Obviously managers are under pressure like everyone this time of year, and their terrible management and people skills will undoubtedly result in grief and hassle coming your way. This is their problem not yours. There is nothing to say you're not allowed to leave during December.

Stick to your guns, give them 7 days written notice stating very clearly when your last working day will be. Ignore them and spend your last few days looking forward to a relaxed Christmas.
jimmynailsalive
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 305
Joined: 28 Dec 2013, 13:36
Gender: Male

Re: Quick Question

Post by jimmynailsalive »

crazyshrew wrote:You're only required to give one weeks notice (7 days) so you could hand your notice in today, Wednesday, and your last working day would be Tuesday next week.

Obviously managers are under pressure like everyone this time of year, and their terrible management and people skills will undoubtedly result in grief and hassle coming your way. This is their problem not yours. There is nothing to say you're not allowed to leave during December.

Stick to your guns, give them 7 days written notice stating very clearly when your last working day will be. Ignore them and spend your last few days looking forward to a relaxed Christmas.
Things went okay today as I expected grief as seems I had agreed to work the Christmas pressure wherever that was although I might have agreed full time hours because they were sending me to the mail centre for a couple of weeks but never even got a day there and covering a walk now so it was being implied I had to start 2 hours early every day but when I said it no longer suited me to start early, it was accepted straightaway, so I'll now struggle over the line to the original deadline, I need an advent calendar for the countdown.
Dorset Plodder
Posts: 4351
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
Gender: Male

Re: Quick Question

Post by Dorset Plodder »

Shame on you Jimmy Letting Royal Mail down in their hour of need :no no Only joking mate take it easy over the next couple of weeks and look forward to finishing.And be careful. It would be ironic if you injured yourself and they had to keep you on sick pay! :Very Happy
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)