ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
sacked while still on sick
-
postie0000
- Posts: 21
- Joined: 30 Jun 2013, 10:49
- Gender: Male
sacked while still on sick
I've got 2 weeks left on sicknote but got sack on Friday is that right
-
IcanthelpthewayIam
- Posts: 4067
- Joined: 26 May 2009, 13:37
- Gender: Male
Re: sacked while still on sick
Potentially yes, all depends on the circumstance,
being on sick leave is no protection from being sacked you could have committed gross misconduct by theft of mail or something got caught and went on sick leave, nothing says Royal Mail must keep employing you and paying you just because you are on sick leave
being on sick leave is no protection from being sacked you could have committed gross misconduct by theft of mail or something got caught and went on sick leave, nothing says Royal Mail must keep employing you and paying you just because you are on sick leave
-
IcanthelpthewayIam
- Posts: 4067
- Joined: 26 May 2009, 13:37
- Gender: Male
Re: sacked while still on sick
Actually reading your previous posts it seems was for wilful delay which is grow misconduct so yes they can sack you for that whilst on sick, reading your posts you have not followed the cutting off procedure correctly, when you said to Dom you might be struggling, that was the wrong phrase and it's the "might" that get you in trouble, you should have said I am struggling and will not complete on time what do you want me to do with mail I can't complete, it's a subtle but key diffence, you may have a chance of appeal if you can prove your phone calls to try and get in touch with manager before end of your shift that day, if your bill shows a couple of attempts at trying to call office say an hour before end of shift you can use that to show you tried to comply with cutting off procedure
-
postie0000
- Posts: 21
- Joined: 30 Jun 2013, 10:49
- Gender: Male
Re: sacked while still on sick
It is for wilful delay just wasn't sure what happen with being on sick. The office phone records show I made a call a hour before but I thought I rang 3/4 times but I did do the same the week before and trying to remember 2 months later what week was what takes some doing when your mind is more focused on home life and health of family members also the reason I ccouldn't work past my time
-
newboy23
Re: sacked while still on sick
So if your off work due to stress and depression they can still sack you ?
-
IcanthelpthewayIam
- Posts: 4067
- Joined: 26 May 2009, 13:37
- Gender: Male
Re: sacked while still on sick
postie0000 wrote:It is for wilful delay just wasn't sure what happen with being on sick. The office phone records show I made a call a hour before but I thought I rang 3/4 times but I did do the same the week before and trying to remember 2 months later what week was what takes some doing when your mind is more focused on home life and health of family members also the reason I ccouldn't work past my time
you will need to get your phone bill, don't rely on the phone in the office as they could simply say the wrong time is on the phone or that data is now gone, you need your phone records to prove you tried to call that will be very important, also the reason you could not work passed your time is irrelevant it's the fact you need to follow the cut off procedure to the letter, so you need proof you told dom you would not be able to complete, or proof that you attempted to call him to tell him that, as just saying may struggle or might not complete isn't enough unfortunately
-
IcanthelpthewayIam
- Posts: 4067
- Joined: 26 May 2009, 13:37
- Gender: Male
Re: sacked while still on sick
again yes depends entirely on the situation if caught stealing and knew you were going to be sacked then went on sick claiming stress and depression do you think it would be fair that royal mail paid sick money for upto a year before sick pay stopped before being able to finish the conduct?newboy23 wrote:So if your off work due to stress and depression they can still sack you ?
-
postie0000
- Posts: 21
- Joined: 30 Jun 2013, 10:49
- Gender: Male
Re: sacked while still on sick
They've said I phoned and also said I told them before I left the reason I was sacked was because I never made enough effort to contact. week before it was fine others done it since all fine the only diff is that the day it happen the mangers failed whole walk so decied to declaire my few streets with it
-
postie0000
- Posts: 21
- Joined: 30 Jun 2013, 10:49
- Gender: Male
Re: sacked while still on sick
My whole sickness was down to them put me I right mess doc told me no contact with office and I never even went to docs for that reasonnewboy23 wrote:So if your off work due to stress and depression they can still sack you ?
-
korky
- Posts: 797
- Joined: 30 Dec 2007, 09:28
Re: sacked while still on sick
one thing that puzzles me when this situation comes up, what if you don't have a mobile or no credit?
this was once brought up and a lad had to really push for an answer, they eventually said knock on someones door and ask to use theirs
only other option is to break off earlier and lose a further 20/30 minutes + further arguing time (if there's a manager still there?)
out of interest, did the union help fight your cause?
this was once brought up and a lad had to really push for an answer, they eventually said knock on someones door and ask to use theirs
only other option is to break off earlier and lose a further 20/30 minutes + further arguing time (if there's a manager still there?)
out of interest, did the union help fight your cause?
-
IcanthelpthewayIam
- Posts: 4067
- Joined: 26 May 2009, 13:37
- Gender: Male
Re: sacked while still on sick
Simple use the pda, every postie is supposed to have one now and everyone of them has the facility to contact your officekorky wrote:one thing that puzzles me when this situation comes up, what if you don't have a mobile or no credit?
this was once brought up and a lad had to really push for an answer, they eventually said knock on someones door and ask to use theirs![]()
only other option is to break off earlier and lose a further 20/30 minutes + further arguing time (if there's a manager still there?)
out of interest, did the union help fight your cause?
-
IcanthelpthewayIam
- Posts: 4067
- Joined: 26 May 2009, 13:37
- Gender: Male
Re: sacked while still on sick
Doesn't matter what happened a week before, you need to prove you tried to follow the correct procedure on the day in question, saying you might struggle is not following that procedure, it needed to be a definite I won't complete what do you want me to do, and then manager had to say deliver on ot or bring back what's left, then you are covered, more so if a witness for that as well, that didn't happen so now you need to prove you could not contact the office so get your mobile records to prove you attempted to call, doesn't matter if someone is saying that you did call, can you guarantee they will back you up on that in an appeal hearing, far far better to have it in black and white that you tried to callpostie0000 wrote:They've said I phoned and also said I told them before I left the reason I was sacked was because I never made enough effort to contact. week before it was fine others done it since all fine the only diff is that the day it happen the mangers failed whole walk so decied to declaire my few streets with it
-
postie0000
- Posts: 21
- Joined: 30 Jun 2013, 10:49
- Gender: Male
Re: sacked while still on sick
Not in union and didn't even get told I was being done for gross misconduct for month plus so made no notes or took nobody in meeting till then managers we're on delivery of other walks that had been cutoff so not in officekorky wrote:one thing that puzzles me when this situation comes up, what if you don't have a mobile or no credit?
this was once brought up and a lad had to really push for an answer, they eventually said knock on someones door and ask to use theirs![]()
only other option is to break off earlier and lose a further 20/30 minutes + further arguing time (if there's a manager still there?)
out of interest, did the union help fight your cause?
-
Surreypostie
- Posts: 999
- Joined: 04 Aug 2013, 21:05
- Gender: Male
Re: sacked while still on sick
It does? I know they can do a lot of things, we even get calls on them, never been shown how to call on them. If this is the case, why don't they call us on the PDA when they want us? I don't doubt what you say, but we have never been told about this.zx135 wrote:Simple use the pda, every postie is supposed to have one now and everyone of them has the facility to contact your officekorky wrote:one thing that puzzles me when this situation comes up, what if you don't have a mobile or no credit?
this was once brought up and a lad had to really push for an answer, they eventually said knock on someones door and ask to use theirs![]()
only other option is to break off earlier and lose a further 20/30 minutes + further arguing time (if there's a manager still there?)
out of interest, did the union help fight your cause?
-
westham000
- Posts: 106
- Joined: 17 Nov 2011, 18:44
- Gender: Male
Re: sacked while still on sick
Not in the union ! GOODBYE