ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Think I'm going to get the sack.
-
stevezx7r
- Posts: 20
- Joined: 22 Feb 2012, 16:44
- Gender: Male
Think I'm going to get the sack.
As I have two young children to look after I tend to work my hours (10-3). My supervisor put me on an "easy" round (which I'd not done before) but I've been having difficulty learning it in the time I have. I've had to learn the round blind and at this time of year the mail is very heavy. So, on my second day of doing this round I realised I wasn't going to get the mail delivered in time and rang the super. He sends a lad out to help. The lad takes a bundle off me and does that while I continue as best I can. Super rings me to see how things are and I explain I'm still struggling. The lad comes back and helps finish the round but as he's doing packets from the van he says he'll do my packets and I'll concentrate on the letters. I'm already over my duty time at this point so I crack on knowing my kids are on their way back from school. I finish the letters and take the remaining packets back. I cant find the super when I get in to tell him I've brought packets back but see the lad who was helping me earlier and let him know where they are. So, I go home to find my kids soaking wet having been stood in the rain for ten minutes. Super rings me up about the packets saying I've just dumped them so I explain the situation that the other lad said he would do them. I go in today and have to explain each packet not delivered as the lad didn't do any of them. I get sent home and told I'll get a letter requesting me to go to a meeting on Monday.
This looks to me like they've now got a reason to sack me as they hate the fact I only work my hours and I've had serious issues with the same super in the past - bullying and harassment.
I'm not in a union, never have been.
Any thoughts?
This looks to me like they've now got a reason to sack me as they hate the fact I only work my hours and I've had serious issues with the same super in the past - bullying and harassment.
I'm not in a union, never have been.
Any thoughts?
-
weary_posty
- Posts: 225
- Joined: 01 Jul 2011, 15:08
- Gender: Male
Re: Think I'm going to get the sack.
Thoughts...
Join the CWU.
Explain everything you have here to your rep.
Keep a record on all conversations had between yourself and Management.
Put in a grievance if you're being hassled for not wanting to work over your contracted hours.
Stay positive and trust your rep will do all they can to support you
Join the CWU.
Explain everything you have here to your rep.
Keep a record on all conversations had between yourself and Management.
Put in a grievance if you're being hassled for not wanting to work over your contracted hours.
Stay positive and trust your rep will do all they can to support you
-
piranha
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 496
- Joined: 01 Aug 2007, 09:30
- Gender: Male
Re: Think I'm going to get the sack.
Good luck in the meeting, from now on tell the manager before you even go out on delivery, you need to finish on time, its his problem not yours. Don't go to any meetings without someone else there to back you up, its not too late to join the CWU.
-
Dozen
- Posts: 101
- Joined: 21 Mar 2013, 18:56
- Gender: Male
Re: Think I'm going to get the sack.
Whatever you do, do NOT go into a meeting without a rep present
Even if it's being downplayed as "just a quick chat about something" or "just a couple of questions if you don't mind" etc...
Immediately respond bluntly "ok i'll inform my rep that you wish to hold a meeting, then we can arrange a time", then stand your ground. They will get angry and insist you don't need a rep present as it's just a few little questions etc... Don't believe a word of it. What they will do if you go in there without a rep is they will use every tactic to intimidate you and undermine your argument, even if it involves outright lying. Likely there will be 2 or 3 managers there and it will be them versus one of you. If one raises their voice and makes threats or whatever they will get away completely scot-free because you will have no one to back you up as a witness. Unfortunately lots of people learn this the hard way and then wise up afterwards. Good luck in any case
Even if it's being downplayed as "just a quick chat about something" or "just a couple of questions if you don't mind" etc...
Immediately respond bluntly "ok i'll inform my rep that you wish to hold a meeting, then we can arrange a time", then stand your ground. They will get angry and insist you don't need a rep present as it's just a few little questions etc... Don't believe a word of it. What they will do if you go in there without a rep is they will use every tactic to intimidate you and undermine your argument, even if it involves outright lying. Likely there will be 2 or 3 managers there and it will be them versus one of you. If one raises their voice and makes threats or whatever they will get away completely scot-free because you will have no one to back you up as a witness. Unfortunately lots of people learn this the hard way and then wise up afterwards. Good luck in any case
-
rambo1
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 3266
- Joined: 12 Jun 2013, 20:00
- Gender: Male
Re: Think I'm going to get the sack.
Just to add, if you're set against joining the union, you still have a right to have some back up from any postie who you get on well with and who doesn't mind going in with you, just as a witness. It is a basic right for you to be able to work to your hours, you don't even need a reason. In your favour, you rang him up several times so he knew you were struggling. Do packets get cleared daily in your office at this time of Yr? if not what's the difference from you trying to deliver but running out of time when you'd told them you were struggling. Don't be cocky in the meeting, they hate that, just be as reasoning and reasonable as you can, and as has been said, write everything down what happened. Gl mate.Dozen wrote:Whatever you do, do NOT go into a meeting without a rep present
Even if it's being downplayed as "just a quick chat about something" or "just a couple of questions if you don't mind" etc...
Immediately respond bluntly "ok i'll inform my rep that you wish to hold a meeting, then we can arrange a time", then stand your ground. They will get angry and insist you don't need a rep present as it's just a few little questions etc... Don't believe a word of it. What they will do if you go in there without a rep is they will use every tactic to intimidate you and undermine your argument, even if it involves outright lying. Likely there will be 2 or 3 managers there and it will be them versus one of you. If one raises their voice and makes threats or whatever they will get away completely scot-free because you will have no one to back you up as a witness. Unfortunately lots of people learn this the hard way and then wise up afterwards. Good luck in any case
-
doorstepped
- Posts: 1063
- Joined: 10 Oct 2011, 23:17
- Gender: Male
- Location: Somewhere west of London
Re: Think I'm going to get the sack.
you can also record the whole conversation with your mobile phone as long as you tell the Dom(s) etc beforehand and that you need to to make sure you understand what is being said to you.
-
steve1873
- Posts: 800
- Joined: 08 Oct 2007, 13:55
Re: Think I'm going to get the sack.
I would be very surprised if you were dismsissed, given the information you have given us. You followed procedure and there was a miscommunication between yourself and the colleague who was tasked with doing your overrun. But I would certainly advise joining the CWU.
-
bogstandard
- Posts: 1074
- Joined: 08 Nov 2007, 06:16
Re: Think I'm going to get the sack.
its never too late to join the union ,however you should not be surprised if you are not helped on this as its retrospective. You are asking for cwu help for something that happened before you were a member
Confused... You won't be, after the next episode of. SOAP
-
stevezx7r
- Posts: 20
- Joined: 22 Feb 2012, 16:44
- Gender: Male
Re: Think I'm going to get the sack.
Just had the lad that prepped the frame that day (as he delivered my post just now) ask me if I had said to my super that he hadn't done it right. That felt intimidating.
-
arnold cheshire
- Posts: 5309
- Joined: 14 Oct 2010, 21:28
- Gender: Male
- Location: england
Re: Think I'm going to get the sack.
Cut the super their not
-
postie0000
- Posts: 21
- Joined: 30 Jun 2013, 10:49
- Gender: Male
Re: Think I'm going to get the sack.
Just been sacked for working my time after waiting 3 months for them to give me answer I told them before I left and rang didn't get answer because they were out of office others have done it since and before and nothing said just put my appeal in now
-
steve1873
- Posts: 800
- Joined: 08 Oct 2007, 13:55
Re: Think I'm going to get the sack.
Sorry to hear that and hope you get it resolved and are reinstated.postie0000 wrote:Just been sacked for working my time after waiting 3 months for them to give me answer I told them before I left and rang didn't get answer because they were out of office others have done it since and before and nothing said just put my appeal in now
-
stevezx7r
- Posts: 20
- Joined: 22 Feb 2012, 16:44
- Gender: Male
Re: Think I'm going to get the sack.
Been to a meeting and I've now been suspended on full pay. This is to be reviewed every 48 hours, I assume, 'till they've spoken to "witnesses".
-
Postie45
- Posts: 2160
- Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 23:05
- Gender: Male
Re: Think I'm going to get the sack.
whatever happened with this ?
-
m456an
- Posts: 12
- Joined: 22 Nov 2015, 11:35
- Gender: Male
Re: Think I'm going to get the sack.
You should have joined the union.
Managers do check if you are a part of the union.
You went to the meeting without anybody to support you.
I am sorry....this is why I do not trust managers. They are too cold.
Managers do check if you are a part of the union.
You went to the meeting without anybody to support you.
I am sorry....this is why I do not trust managers. They are too cold.